• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 450 . DIESEL

Welder Dave

I don't think YELLING at people is going to help you get a quicker answer. Case 450 not as common as Cat or JD machines.

mcprp

I don't think YELLING at people is going to help you get a quicker answer. Case 450 not as common as Cat or JD machines.
I WASN'T YELLING . I LIKE TO TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS , I CAN SEE IT BETTER . SORRY IF YOU THINK IM YELLING . I ALWAYS THOUGHT YELLING WAS NOISE ,NOT CAPITAL LETTERS .

chroniekon

Does the drawing in post #11 seem close to what you have? Do you have an idiot light on the dash? If you do, the small terminal on your alternator goes to the idiot light, and from there to the ignition switch, paired up on the same terminal with the wire that goes to the horn button. The large terminal on the alternator goes to the same terminal on your starter solenoid as the cable from the battery.

mcprp

Does the drawing in post #11 seem close to what you have? Do you have an idiot light on the dash? If you do, the small terminal on your alternator goes to the idiot light, and from there to the ignition switch, paired up on the same terminal with the wire that goes to the horn button. The large terminal on the alternator goes to the same terminal on your starter solenoid as the cable from the battery.
THE DRAWING IN POST ELEVEN IS WAY TO SMALL TO READ AND WAY MORE SOPHISTICATED FOR ME . I DONT HAVE AN IDIOT LIGHT SO I ASSUME I SHOULD RUN THE SMALL TERMINAL ON THE SOLENOID GOES TO THE IGNITION SWITCH . OK , THAT STILL LEAVES ME THE ALTERNATOR WIRES .

Welder Dave

No problem. Seeing all capitals people may have thought you were upset you didn't get an answer right away. Now that you cleared that up you should get some good advice. Click on the pic. of the wiring diagram and it will go bigger.

mcprp

No problem. Seeing all capitals people may have thought you were upset you didn't get an answer right away. Now that you cleared that up you should get some good advice. Click on the pic. of the wiring diagram and it will go bigger.
I DID CLICK IT ON BUT IT ONLY GOT ONE SIZE BIGGER IF YOU CAN READ THE IGNITION SWITCH LET ME KNOW WHAT IT SAYS , BESIDES THE OTHER THOUSAND WIRES THAT WENT THROUGH FUSE BOXES AND LIGHTS OF ALL SORTS AND HORNS AND AIR RESTRICTED SENSORS .

Delmer

YES, that is the correct terminal on the ignition switch. You should have a warning light for low voltage on the dash, that will be wired into that wire, L (which might be LIGHT GREEN). That warning light might be helpful, but on a diesel it will probably function without the warning light. You have a cable pull stop for the engine, right?

On the alternator there will be one terminal bigger than the others, that is the one that goes straight to the battery or battery cable at the starter, the smaller one will be the sense wire that should have battery voltage when the ignition switch is ON. What is the problem you're trying to solve here?

In your drawing you have the amp meter and gauges hooked to the "bat" terminal, that's not correct.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The voltage regulator is the painted package on the back of the alternator. If there is a second regulator on the machine then it likely had a generator on it and someone updated the charging system. The basics of this type alternator is it does not require external regulation. You need a Ign. source to a lamp to the Purple Wire on the back of the Alternator OR if use a ammeter from the Ign source through that ammeter to the Orange wire on the back of the Alternator. Does NOT require all three connected.

Your instrumentation will be powered from a Separate Wire off the IGN terminal of the key switch and only to the instrumentation.
https://www.madisontractor.com/se501356-alternator-motorola.html

mcprp

YES, that is the correct terminal on the ignition switch. You should have a warning light for low voltage on the dash, that will be wired into that wire, L (which might be LIGHT GREEN). That warning light might be helpful, but on a diesel it will probably function without the warning light. You have a cable pull stop for the engine, right?

On the alternator there will be one terminal bigger than the others, that is the one that goes straight to the battery or battery cable at the starter, the smaller one will be the sense wire that should have battery voltage when the ignition switch is ON. What is the problem you're trying to solve here?

In your drawing you have the amp meter and gauges hooked to the "bat" terminal, that's not correct.
I THOUGHT THE ONE THING I HAD RIGHT WAS THE GAUGES , LOL . THATS THE WAY THEY ARE WIRED ON THE ORIGINAL DRAWING BUT THATS WITH THE GENERATOR . SO DO THE GAUGES GO TO ACCESSORIES (ACC) ? YES I HAVE THE PULL KNOB TO STOP THE ENGINE AND WHAT IM TRYING TO DO IS FIGURE OUT WHERE THE WIRES GO . I AM TRYING TO REWIRE IT AND NEVER TOOK PICTURES BECAUSE I THOUGHT
I HAD THE RIGHT WIRE DIAGRAM BUT THE ONE I HAVE IS FOR A GENERATOR . SO IS THIS THE WAY IT GOES ?IMG_0115.jpg

Vetech63

Your gauges need to be on the ignition side of your switch, not the acc side. Your starter wire is right on the starter, but needs to be on the start side of your switch (if you wire it like this you will have no neutral start only, it will start in gear) There should be markings at each post on the back of your switch (B+, Ign, acc, st)

mcprp

Your gauges need to be on the ignition side of your switch, not the acc side. Your starter wire is right on the starter, but needs to be on the start side of your switch (if you wire it like this you will have no neutral start only, it will start in gear) There should be markings at each post on the back of your switch (B+, Ign, acc, st)
IS THIS RIGHT AND IF SO WHAT GETS WIRED TO THE BATTERY OR B+ ON THE KEY SWITCH IMG_0116.jpg

Delmer

The key switch B+ will be connected to the battery all the time, the wire will usually be a little larger than the other wires on the key switch.

According to the wiring diagram, it will be Purple wire running from the B+ terminal on the key switch, to the B+ terminal on the starter solenoid (the one with the positive battery cable on it)

Delmer

Yes, the ST (start) on the key switch connects to the small terminal on the solenoid.

If you're running new wires, I'd want to make sure you have the same fuse protection as the original harness, or better even. That is, you have bigger wires for the same size fuses, or smaller fuses for the same size wires.

mcprp

Yes, the ST (start) on the key switch connects to the small terminal on the solenoid.

If you're running new wires, I'd want to make sure you have the same fuse protection as the original harness, or better even. That is, you have bigger wires for the same size fuses, or smaller fuses for the same size wires.
PERFECT , THANK YOU SO MUCH !

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
@mcprp ..... I think you will find that posting in CAPS is against forum rules.......

If you are having trouble seeing this page, you can increase the size of the font by holding the 'ctrl' key & tapping the '+' key.