• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 450 . DIESEL

Tinkerer

You are welcome mcprp!
I am sorry about your vision problem.
No problem for me about the use of caps now that I know why you were using them.
Did you get your wiring straightened out ?
I searched everywhere I know of for the correct schematic for you, but it just isn't anywhere to be found.
Not even for a 450B or 450C which I know has an alternator.

mcprp

hey guys , just want to say that i have all the information that you gave me and plan on using it tomorrow but i do have a curiosity question . if all the gauges tie into the ignition side of the key switch , why does this drawing show it differently . i know this is for a generator but i was just curious what the difference is . heres the picture . notice the hour gauge , pressure switch and ammeter all tied together and going to the bat. on the key switch . IMG_0126.jpg

mcprp

hey guys , just want to say that i have all the information that you gave me and plan on using it tomorrow but i do have a curiosity question . if all the gauges tie into the ignition side of the key switch , why does this drawing show it differently . i know this is for a generator but i was just curious what the difference is . heres the picture . notice the hour gauge , pressure switch and ammeter all tied together and going to the bat. on the key switch . View attachment 200012
the number one wire that goes to where you cant seeit on the drawing goes to the bat. on the voltage regulator.

Delmer

I can't see the whole diagram so I'm guessing a little.

The oil pressure switch controls the hour meter, because otherwise the engine would run with the ignition off and not run the hour meter. That feed is hot all the time.

An ammeter is "full flow", it carries the whole output of the generator through the gauge, so that is directly in line of the generator to battery circuit. An alternator will have an idiot light, because it's more reliable than a generator.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That multiple wire point on that ammeter then feeds over to the ign switch it is the power source for accessories

mcprp

Ok well I’m just going with the original plan . Just wondered a little . You can see the whole diagram in my first post but it’s to blurry to see the key switch . That’s why I made it clearer on the key switch . I’m just going with what you guys told me and I’m hoping it’s right . Which I’m sure it will be . I’ll let you know ! Thanks again.

Delmer

Don't burn it down. We're guessing here without a wiring diagram. You seem to be guessing too, without a good idea of what you had. Keep the battery cables loose, a hose or fire extinguisher handy, and disconnect the battery before you walk away.

mcprp

img_0116-jpg.199868

Does this help for a start?View attachment 200076
i like this one better . what is a hd relay? that doesn't mean that i don't appreciate your drawing but this one is the last i had everyone to agree to so im going to try it . my drawing is missing the wire from (bat) on the key switch to the positive on the starter. where is the alternator in your drawing ? is the hd relay the alternator ?

doublewide

It's a simple start circuit. The alternator is not drawn in yet.

That starter mounted solenoid may want to pull more amps than your 40 year old key switch will like. The relay allows full amperage to get to the solenoid without burning up your key switch.

Do you have a key start or push button start?

Tinkerer

The 450 has a push button switch. It is wired between the key switch and the starter solenoid.
The starter is a plain ole Delco-Remy.
There is no need for an hd relay to be added in the starting circuit. The switches in the system are adequate for the electrical loads put on them. If they are oem equivalent. The push button can be eliminated by replacing the OEM key switch with one that has a start position in it. I have done this myself.
I don't understand how this got so complicated. The photo of the engine clearly shows the alternator wires in place. The starter is missing but the wires are hanging there waiting to be reconnected.
Did the harness get altered after the photo was taken ?

Last edited:

Delmer

It sounded to me like he took it apart further and is trying to rewire it from scratch. But there's a lot of info missing...

chroniekon

You don't need the HD relay. You essentially already have one. It's the solenoid mounted on the starter.

Has anyone else looked over their shoulder to see if Candid Camera is watching?