• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450 3056051

mcprp

I been thinking about that theory . The transmission pressure runs at about 230 psi but that’s on the pressure side so to me it doesn’t make sense to pump air into the tranny through the fill tube . This is what a case service man told me to do . So you see how I want to understand this stuff .

Vetech63

I been thinking about that theory . The transmission pressure runs at about 230 psi but that’s on the pressure side so to me it doesn’t make sense to pump air into the tranny through the fill tube . This is what a case service man told me to do . So you see how I want to understand this stuff .
I believe the tech was trying to have you give the oil an air pressure boost to prime the pump.

mcprp

I believe the tech was trying to have you give the oil an air pressure boost to prime the pump.
I believe your right vtech but when I did it , I wasn’t able to produce any pressure at all . So I guess I’m wondering if seals went in the transmission would that cause my zero pressure or keep my pump from producing pressure ? I know it seems like I keep reaching for other problems but I just want to understand the transmission . Also when I asked the case tech if there was a way for them to test my pump if I brought it into them , he said No ! I said well how would you know if it was bad , he said we would have to take it apart and look at it . So I’m thinking , why couldn’t you have two five gallon buckets of oil and put one hose in one bucket and the other hose in the other bucket and spin that gear with a drill or something and see if it’s pushing . You could even put a flow meter on it that way especially at a case shop . Why does it have to be on the dozer .

mcprp

I believe your right vtech but when I did it , I wasn’t able to produce any pressure at all . So I guess I’m wondering if seals went in the transmission would that cause my zero pressure or keep my pump from producing pressure ? I know it seems like I keep reaching for other problems but I just want to understand the transmission . Also when I asked the case tech if there was a way for them to test my pump if I brought it into them , he said No ! I said well how would you know if it was bad , he said we would have to take it apart and look at it . So I’m thinking , why couldn’t you have two five gallon buckets of oil and put one hose in one bucket and the other hose in the other bucket and spin that gear with a drill or something and see if it’s pushing . You could even put a flow meter on it that way especially at a case shop . Why does it have to be on the dozer .
I know if it was on the dozer they could isolate the problem but I just want to know if my pump is bad . But even that being said , if the pump not drawing any oil from the tranny at all how would you put a flow meter in it ! There’s No flow ! Lol

Vetech63

Pumps are flow checked at a specific rpm at operating temp. To a specified pressure they must maintain a gpm rating under all those conditions. It’s doubtful you can do all this with a bucket and a drill. Even a weak pump can have flow but no ability to build pressure.
For a gear pump to not move oil at all can only be a few possibilities.
1. The pump isnt turning.
2. The pump is faulty.
3. No oil available to the suction side of the pump.
4. Air leaks or restrictions at the suction side of the pump system.

Bill Edwards

I think the suggestion to pressurise the system with an airline would just be to force oil to the pump inlet to see if it primes, doing so would get round any air leaks in the suction line.

To test a pump properly does require testing the flow while also causing a restriction to have it at the correct pressure as you have to measure both together to confirm a pump is good. Plus it has to be running at the correct speed with oil at the right temperature to get accurate results, so you would need a dedicated test bench which few places are likely to have.

If the pump produces nothing at all then you couldn't test it with a flowmeter, if it's turning and has oil at the suction side but won't produce any output whatsoever it's scrap.

mcprp

I think the suggestion to pressurise the system with an airline would just be to force oil to the pump inlet to see if it primes, doing so would get round any air leaks in the suction line.

To test a pump properly does require testing the flow while also causing a restriction to have it at the correct pressure as you have to measure both together to confirm a pump is good. Plus it has to be running at the correct speed with oil at the right temperature to get accurate results, so you would need a dedicated test bench which few places are likely to have.

If the pump produces nothing at all then you couldn't test it with a flowmeter, if it's turning and has oil at the suction side but won't produce any output whatsoever it's scrap.
Well, I have a pump ordered and I want to thank you guys for helping me and having patiences with my lack of knowledge . Probably going to be a few days to get the pump but when I do I’ll let you know what happens . Thanks again for all your help .

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Well, I have a pump ordered and I want to thank you guys for helping me and having patiences with my lack of knowledge . Probably going to be a few days to get the pump but when I do I’ll let you know what happens . Thanks again for all your help .
Good luck hope everything goes well.

Vetech63

When you get your new pump you need to hand prime it before you mount it to the housing. Put the pump over a bucket and fill the suction side with oil. Turn the pump shaft by hand until the oil moves through the pump on the outlet side. It’s will not hold all the oil, but it will lube the inside of the pump and help it create better suction when you first fire it up. I have seen dry install pumps burn up quickly when there have been suction issues before.

Bill Edwards

Yes, this is very important!

Some 'fitters' think you can just install pumps dry, bolt everything up, start the engine and expect everything to work okay at full load straight away.

It's crucial to get it well lubricated before turning it over.

mcprp

Yes, this is very important!

Some 'fitters' think you can just install pumps dry, bolt everything up, start the engine and expect everything to work okay at full load straight away.

It's crucial to get it well lubricated before turning it over.
Thank you very much !

mcprp

When you get your new pump you need to hand prime it before you mount it to the housing. Put the pump over a bucket and fill the suction side with oil. Turn the pump shaft by hand until the oil moves through the pump on the outlet side. It’s will not hold all the oil, but it will lube the inside of the pump and help it create better suction when you first fire it up. I have seen dry install pumps burn up quickly when there have been suction issues before.
Can the rollers be repaired when it appears that the bearings have gone bad in them or are they scrap ? I have one bad one that I have replaced but I’m wondering if new bearings can be put in the old one . Can’t tell if they come apart !

Vetech63

Can the rollers be repaired when it appears that the bearings have gone bad in them or are they scrap ? I have one bad one that I have replaced but I’m wondering if new bearings can be put in the old one . Can’t tell if they come apart !
I’m assuming you are talking about track rollers? Yes they can be rebuilt but the aftermarket rollers are so cheap now days I don’t even waste my time screwing around rebuilding them.

mcprp

I’m assuming you are talking about track rollers? Yes they can be rebuilt but the aftermarket rollers are so cheap now days I don’t even waste my time screwing around rebuilding them.
Man, I think I just paid 375.00 for one . How much are the after market ones and do you have a link I can buy them from ?

Vetech63

Man, I think I just paid 375.00 for one . How much are the after market ones and do you have a link I can buy them from ?
Google Industrial Tractor Parts. I believe their corporate office is there in NY somewhere.

Nelsonkl

I put my new pump on have pressure but there’s a restriction on my pump making noise I found a broken brake line do you think that would cause the pump wine

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
If your new pump is making noise I'd check for air leak in suction line and or strainer filter housing.