• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 450 3056051

mcprp

I know I’ve said this before but I think
It’s caught up in the torque converter . Or the bottom of the tranny . Remember, there’s not clumps or anything like that but after three flushes you can stilll see small signs of it

mcprp

At least the final drive seals are OK.
Must be extremely frustrating.
That crap may have been sucked in somewhere.
Can you seal up the system so you could pressurize it with air to find a leak ?
I could if I knew how but I don’t but I can tell you that if I pour oil into the suction line with no room for air the system will charge . They’re going to return the charge pump I just purchased because I think it got weak and failed but I’m really reluctant to try the new one without knowing the system is clean .

Tinkerer

I know I’ve said this before but I think it’s caught up in the torque converter . Or the bottom of the tranny . Remember, there’s not clumps or anything like that but after three flushes you can still see small signs of it.
If the suction filter didn't rupture the system beyond it should be clean.
If the suction filter did pass crap then only the pump could be damaged.
The pressure side filter should have prevented fouling the rest of the system.

mcprp

If the suction filter didn't rupture the system beyond it should be clean.
If the suction filter did pass crap then only the pump could be damaged.
The pressure side filter should have prevented fouling the rest of the system.
well , i dont know what you mean by rupture , both filters sowed signs of mud . the first flush worse than the third but still evident ,.the tranny oil was running very hot in my opinion when the the new pump shut down . i actually took the new pump apart and saw no sign of dirt . something is restricting the flow and im wondering if someone could tell me if it could be in the converter .

mcprp

well , i dont know what you mean by rupture , both filters sowed signs of mud . the first flush worse than the third but still evident ,.the tranny oil was running very hot in my opinion when the the new pump shut down . i actually took the new pump apart and saw no sign of dirt . something is restricting the flow and im wondering if someone could tell me if it could be in the converter .
its defiantly not in the suction line . if i use a small wet vac on the suction line the oil comes right up , no problem

Tinkerer

Sorry, Mike.
Rupture means a a hole blown open in it.
Perhaps the cooler in the radiator is plugged. Disconnect the RH hose from the bottom of the radiator (the oil cooler) and see if there is a good flow of oil coming out.
Or the charge pump has problems.
Was the engine laboring in neutral when the oil got hot ?

mcprp

Sorry, Mike.
Perhaps the cooler in the radiator is plugged. Disconnect the RH hose from the bottom of the radiator (the oil cooler) and see if there is a good flow of oil coming out.
The radiator cooling lines have been blown down . I never actually watched the flow because the pump was never working right . The only thing I noticed after I installed the new pump that worked good for about an hour was the oil pressure was low . It should be a constant 40 and it was 30 and went down to 20 . Can’t figure that one out either . I am going to change the filter . The engine runs perfect . No smoke

mcprp

Sorry, Mike.
I’ll probably end up bringing it to case . It’s going to cost me a lot but at least I don’t keep fishing . Most of the time things are fairly easy to figure out but this ones a combination of things and I don’t think I’ll ever figure it out . Sucks !

mcprp

Sorry, Mike.
There’s only so many things it could be . I don’t why but I keep leaning towards the torque converter . I think it’s got mud in it

Tinkerer

The mud would have to get through the pressure filter to contaminate the convertor. Did you see any mud in the pressure lines when you cleaned them ?
I would be filtering the oil you are draining out and reuse it for the flushing.
You said previously that you could not pressurize the transmission with compressed air. I would suggest chasing that problem down. Being able to do that would certainly help the charge pump to prime.
Another, although unlikely thing, is there any chance the woodruff key on the pump shaft is sheared off or missing ?
Is the input shaft seal on the pump OK ?
Is the relief valve in the pressure filter installed correctly ?
Unfortunately I post a lot of questions, but there are a lot of things, and a combination of issues that need to be sorted out and eliminated.

mcprp

I didn’t see actual mud but the oil looked contaminated . I was hoping someone would have told me why they thought I couldn’t pressurize the tranny . One thing though that I can tell you is the vent that is on top of the tranny is loose . The muddy water could have gotten in there . I don’t know how air could build up in the tranny when there is a vent right there . There was not and ever was a problem with the woodruff key . The input seal on the pump ? You mean the rubber o ring that seals the side of the pump that the oil goes in and comes out ? Yes that was replaced on the old pump and of coarse new on the new pump . The relief valve on the pressure filter is on the panel side of the filter and the spring on the cap fits into it . Don’t ever worry about questions , I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to possibly help me . I’m waiting to get paid again and I have to return and wait for the new pump to arrive so I’ll be at a lull for a while but I’ll update you with any if any progress I make . I’m going to change the engine oil filter to see if that brings the pressure up at all . I’ll probably drain the tranny fluid again and filter it as you said .

Tinkerer

You would need to remove the transmission breather and replace it with a pipe fitting so that you can apply regulated air at about 10 PSI. Unless it all leaks out around the gear shift lever.

You probably already have this info for the new charge pump installation.
If you don't here ya go !
Pay particular attention to the position of the gear in step #7 and the cotter pin install.

poop.png

Last edited:

mcprp

You would need to remove the transmission breather and replace it with a pipe fitting so that you can apply regulated air at about 10 PSI. Unless it all leaks out around the gear shift lever.

Pay particular attention to the position of the gear in step #7 and the cotter pin install.

View attachment 219984
Yeah , I got that . Used it to rebuild the old pump but it still didn’t work . Thank you though !

mcprp

55308818-C69B-41CB-8061-58DE6B623051.jpeg

View attachment 219984
So tinkerer ! Here’s what came out of my transmission on the third drain . I filtered all the oil just like you said . I also drained my oil and a very small amount of mud came out of that also . Then I rinsed it with diesel and blew air in there and a small amount flushed out again . It seems like it’s clean now but I wanted to drop the oil pan and can’t figure out why it seems to tuck in under a separate divider into the torque converter . Don’t know how I would get to those nuts . Hard to explain , I should have taken a picture . I’m going to put 15/40 in it instead of 30 w . Glad I drained it though . Never would have thought mud got in there also .

Attachments

• 51E04136-5A0D-4C33-B825-0D6D2F3DC0FC.jpeg
    51E04136-5A0D-4C33-B825-0D6D2F3DC0FC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 079C974E-04F1-4227-B416-F2FC6B59245B.jpeg
    079C974E-04F1-4227-B416-F2FC6B59245B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • AEE84ECC-6225-48A0-84CE-BC4781963B67.jpeg
    AEE84ECC-6225-48A0-84CE-BC4781963B67.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

mcprp

View attachment 220045
So tinkerer ! Here’s what came out of my transmission on the third drain . I filtered all the oil just like you said . I also drained my oil and a very small amount of mud came out of that also . Then I rinsed it with diesel and blew air in there and a small amount flushed out again . It seems like it’s clean now but I wanted to drop the oil pan and can’t figure out why it seems to tuck in under a separate divider into the torque converter . Don’t know how I would get to those nuts . Hard to explain , I should have taken a picture . I’m going to put 15/40 in it instead of 30 w . Glad I drained it though . Never would have thought mud got in there also .
That’s mud , hard to tell from the picture . Now that I look at the picture kinda looks like a female counter part . Lol ! Sorry , it does though ! Lol