• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to remove old pads from chains

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
HA! You're on your own on that one!:eek::D

Tugger2

I would never put something like that in my Ironworker way too hard ,and very difficult to keep centered. A reamer running slow with cutting fluid maybe. We have drilled them before with good success. Slow speed ,steady pressure on the bit and cutting oil. A bit of a flat ground on the cutting edge of the bit to reduce the hook will keep the bit from grabbing as it breaks thru.I can put you in touch with the machinist that works in my shop if you want to carry on with this ,hes good at drilling stuff like this.HSS-M2-6542-DIN338-Twist-Drill-Bits-For-metal-cutting-Professional-jobber-drill-bit-1mm-2mm.jpg

ktm250rider

Oh yes, paint will be ground off. I had a whole assembly line setup with my kids and then it all ended on the first pad.
Ugghhh, I've been waiting to get these fixed for 5 years. Finally get to it and I'm stuck again.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My manual shows 282 ft lbs +/- 10%
You'll get more consistent bolt tension by torquing them to a lower initial figure then turning 120 degrees. The problem with track shoe bolts is that often the surface that they are pulling down to is nowhere near 100% flat and that will affect the torque required to turn the bolt and thus crack off the torque wrench.

5/8" diameter track shoe bolts on a Cat machine would be tightened to the specs quoted above by Welder Dave. Also SAE30 oil would be applied under the bolt head and on the threads.

Does your manual recommend putting a dab of anti-seize or some type of oil under the head of the bolts and on the threads before assembling..? Use (or not) of lubricant can also majorly affect the final tighness of the bolted joint.

Nige

It's the actual spec for the pad. Oh and it's only a 9/16 bolt. Which I apparently never realized until I went to reinstall.
Sorry I understood it that you were going to open up the holes on the track shoes and use 5/8” bolts, so that’s what I quoted specs for. If you use 9/16” hardware the initial torque would be 90 ft. lbs, again plus 120 degrees.

Welder Dave

His rails are 5/8" but the pads only have 9/16" holes he has to enlarge. Cat standard specs. for 9/16" bolts looks to be 190 to 210 ft./lbs. This is on a Hyundai so wondering if the OP is converting everything from metric to standard? Could see where you could run into problems mixing and matching hardware.

Last edited:

ktm250rider

Sorry for the confusion.
Old bolts were 9/16 and shown as 9/16 in the manual. It's weird, everything else is metric, but the pad bolts. New chains are 5/8. I didnt notice the difference until trying to install the pads.
Probably could have ordered the correct stuff, but didnt realize.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It seems kind of funny but all the undercarriage components I've worked with in the 40 years were all Imperial measurements. Chain pitches are 7", 7.5", 8", 9" and so on. Pad widths have changed to metric. There are plenty of 800 MM and 850 MM three bar track pads on excavators.
As far as pad bolt torque methods go, both ways were used. Cat was the only manufacturer to use torque turn for years. The rest of the dozers that I had to do track work on just used torque. I had a welding instructor years ago that told us about working on bridges and how all the bolts were torqued into the yield point of the bolt. It was his position that pad bolts are the same. That is the point that the bolt has the maximum amount of holding power. It is also the reason you are not supposed to re-use pad bolts. As far as what is right goes, do what the manufacturer of the bolt specifies.

Nige

Your original post mentioned metric sizes.
Good spot. 14mm was the bolt size originally mentioned. I wonder if the holes in the new links are actually designed for 16mm bolts and the hardware has been metric all long..?

Either way 16mm is only a few thousandths larger than 5/8". At that sort of diameter the only major difference is the pitch. 5/8" is 2.3mm pitch (11 TPI), 16mm is 1.5mm pitch. So M16 could be classed as a signficantly finer thread than 5/8" UNC and that could make a big difference in the tightening specification.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A 9/16" bolt, 0.56" is actually a little thicker and a 14MM bolt, .55". As I recall a 16MM bolt is the same as a 5/8" bolt both at .66". As far as thread pitch goes, again as I recall, you can spec any of four different thread pitches for any metric bolt.

Welder Dave

5/8" is .625" and 16mm is .629" but should be close enough for the hole they go through. I don't think anyone has more experience with undercarriage than Cat so would use the torque turn method myself. I paid a couple hundred extra to have the track shop put the pads on in the track press using the torque turn method. Then cleaned everything up and it was just easier and saved me a lot of time for not too much more $$.