• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to remove old pads from chains

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Never removed bolts from excavator tracks. Dozer tracks in my experience wear the flats of bolt heads. No socket I own turns them. A scarfing tip on an acetylene torch cuts the heads off pretty well. I now have a Hypertherm XP45 with flush cut hardware I haven't tried yet.

ktm250rider

I think I need to rent a mag drill. The bridge reamer worked awesome...on 1 hole. I tried it in my power drill so it could go slow. It dulled pretty quick though.

ktm250rider

Here's another thought, and dont laugh, this is a farm machine not for business. I use 9/16 bolts that match the pad and cut some .032" shim stock to put in the chain. It would act like a bushing. Not the most elegant option but I dont see why it wouldn't work.

Delmer

Here's another thought, and dont laugh, this is a farm machine not for business. I use 9/16 bolts that match the pad and cut some .032" shim stock to put in the chain. It would act like a bushing. Not the most elegant option but I dont see why it wouldn't work.

before I did that, I think I'd put the bolts through the track pad, and weld four short beads axially on each bolt to make them fit the chain tight, a little crush isn't going to hurt anything.

Have you tried your cobalt drill bit in a drill press? If you can't find a cobalt or other high quality drill bit that will cut them, you could do it with a masonry bit, sharpen the angle a little, and experiment with speed and pressure a little to see what works. it will be slow, but it will do the job eventually.

Welder Dave

Welding the bolts would likely cause them to break. Just need to get the proper type of drill bit and enlarge the pad holes.

ktm250rider

Cobalt drill is due friday. I did get my 5/8 bridge reamer and tried that in a hand drill so i could control the speed. It cut really well but i think i damaged it. My drill press only goes as slow as 380rpm. I think i need a mag drill so i can slow way down and cut. Hopefully, we have one a work i can borrow, if not, i can rent one to try.

Welder Dave

A mag drill might be too fast too. It was suggested on here to heat up cutting edges to make them easier to drill. It seemed to help when I drilled a cutting edge. Maybe try heating the edges of the holes red hot, let them cool and see if it helps. The other thing to consider is the holes need to be slightly bigger than the bolts but that could fixed with a die grinder and carbide burr if necessary.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You might try to call the supplier and let them know of your situation. Most I've worked with in the past have been real good at taking back the wrong pads and getting the right ones. Drilling all those holes is going to take forever.

ktm250rider

Im reusing my old pads, and ill admit i didnt check the bolt size before ordering. I did have a bit of a panic and placed a pad on the chain before pulling them off the pallet to make sure the holes lined up. Never thought of checking the bolt size until i got everything installed.

Mag Drill should go from 0-400 RPM. Ill try the heating option tonight.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Im reusing my old pads, and ill admit i didnt check the bolt size before ordering. I did have a bit of a panic and placed a pad on the chain before pulling them off the pallet to make sure the holes lined up. Never thought of checking the bolt size until i got everything installed.

Will the supplier let you exchange the rails for the correct ones. It may be your cheapest option even if you incur some shipping charges.

ktm250rider

Get the right tool for the job! Got my bit and mag drill. Set the drill speed slow and use cutting fluid. Took about 4 minutes per pad including aligning the drill to the hole. Finally some good news. However, it wasnt easy.
At first i was a little worried. Got about 20 holes and the bit chipped. Figuring i had nothing to loose, I lined up for the next hole and it plowed right through. Got another 40 holes like that until it just stopped cutting. Again, nothing to loose its time to figure out how to sharpen a drill bit. Off to HD to finally pick up a bench grinder. Ive needed one for so long and always put it off. Since I couldnt find a bit sharpener that would take larger than a 1/2" bit, bench grinder it is. Little bit of youtube and bit is sharpened. Drilled a bunch more holes until the bit broke. Off to the chop saw to square off the bit and ready it for sharpening. Since i was only enlargeing the hole, i only had to put a small angle on it. Cut like a dream and finish my holes for 1 side of the machine.