• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best way to remove old pads from chains

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Just wait until you do an EX1200 with cast pads. Probably 1/4 of the bolt heads will just twist off. Then out comes the lance to burn the bolt out.

ktm250rider

20200105_123625.jpg Small success. The one I thought was seized just took a bigger hammer. Right bolt was burned off with plasma. Took way longer than I thought. Pretty much had do melt the whole thing away. Only like 366 more to go. Think I'm going with Oxy-ac torch.

furu

What sort of stuff have you used it on?
My mulching head has thirty 24 mm bolts (roughly 15/16 in) that are wet (lubricated) torqued to 590 ft lbs. ( yes, I have a very large torque wrench.)
When the bolts have to be removed they are a real bear. I used to use a cheater bar with a five foot section of pipe to loosen them but this electric impact wrench is amazing. I got it after a recommendation from another guy that got it for the same purpose. Never would have thought an electric impact would be this good. You can even program it with four different settings for what you want. It is not precise enough for fine settings of torque but it is very repeatable and comes close. What it excels at is removal of old tight bolts with lots of torque.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I agree, but all you have to do is make one slip with the torch while cutting a nut and just nick a link and your are in it up to your neck.

I must be missing something. If he is installing new rails does it matter if he nicks a link. I understand the concern if the rails are to be reused.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
When you install your new rails be sure you get all the paint off the rails where the pads touch them. Clean the pads good also. They will not stay tight if you don't. Two years ago when our National ACMOC show was at Holt Cat in San Antonio I watch them use a skidsteer with a fork attachment that had a pin sticking out the side of the fork. They stuck the pin into the end track pin boss and drug that track up and down the concrete apron until all the paint was worn off. There was a recall on excavator rails and they were changing a few a day in that track shop.

mrappels

Occupation
Diesel Plant Fitter
When you install your new rails be sure you get all the paint off the rails where the pads touch them. Clean the pads good also. They will not stay tight if you don't. Two years ago when our National ACMOC show was at Holt Cat in San Antonio I watch them use a skidsteer with a fork attachment that had a pin sticking out the side of the fork. They stuck the pin into the end track pin boss and drug that track up and down the concrete apron until all the paint was worn off. There was a recall on excavator rails and they were changing a few a day in that track shop.
We've been getting sets of tracks complete, and what I've noticed is that whoever's done the installation of the new grousers has used an oxy-torch to burn the paint, it makes it easier to get the paint off.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

Used to do that all the time. Our yard was sandy and about 3-4 laps of the yard they'd be down to bare metal. Saved an easy 2 or 3 hours of grinding with a wire wheel.

ktm250rider

Finally got an Oxy-Acetylene setup, and its looking like thats the best way to go for me. Now i just need to figure out my process. I tried one bolt by burning off the head of the bolt. put a decent gouge in my pad. It was getting dark and cold and it was the first one. I may be able to do better this weekend. Still, the bolt is going to take a good amount of beating to get it out of the pad.
This weekend, im going to try cutting the nut off. Then hit the bolt head with an impact to loosen it and hopefully pull it out. That way and dont have to be careful with the torch.

Welder Dave

The rails are shot so cutting the nuts off is the best option to save the pads. The tip above is a rivet cutting tip that is flat for cutting rivets and bolts off flush. A scarfing/gouging tip is a little different and has a lot bigger cutting jet that has more potential to cause unwanted damage. A rivet cutting tip still allows for precision cutting but hard to find depending on the brand of torch. Cutting the nuts off allows you use a larger size tip and the nut could be cut off faster than to heat it red hot.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When burning the nuts off, I used to just slap the bottom of the pad with a big hammer which usually took care of the loosening part. Once on each side and if you couldn't get the bolt out, you could just raise it up and cut it off. The short piece would then be able to be pounded down and out.

ktm250rider

These things need a good 8-10 whacks per side to break free. Took another shot with the impact. I was able to snap the heads on about 50 bolts. I got luck with another 20 or so and the nuts actually backed off. There were a lot of bolts that the impact would just bounce off so i guess those will get cut.
Second good news, is the machine started right up. Ive had problems in the past in cold weather. Id knock on wood, I think i have my fuel issues solved.

ktm250rider

well, i thought things were going to easy. got all the pads off, got the new parts ordered and delivered with all the business shutdowns. Got the sprockets and chains on with very little problem. Even with the machine parked in the only mud hole around. Start to put my pads on and the bolts are no go! They setup i bought was for 5/8 bolts. My pads are 9/16. I now got to find a way to drill close to 400 holes in hardened steel plates. Oh on the plus side, my machine still starts right up. i think my fuel issues are finally solved.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Before I drilled 400 holes I would order the right bolts.