• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Back in the Day"

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Rob N. Comox Logging & Railroad Ladysmith 1937 , left to right Bill Solmie , Ed Cooke , Fred Fielding and W.M. Rainforth on Cat at Chemainus BC .View attachment 138505

Anyone know what brand this crawler is. I can not quite make it out on the side of the radiator. I would like to see more of the logging arch. Great pictures. Thanks for posting them.

Inter674

You can see that in the earlier picture the track guards had been ripped off - no wonder when you look at the terrain the machine is working in!!

You can also see the RD8 on the radiator top. This machine would have been a significant advance in terms of productivity. Also note the lack of any ROPs:)

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Rob N. Chemainus Lumber Co. 1903 , A Spool Donkey at Camp 6 , - 12 miles up Mainline from Chemainus , 6 to 8 miles above Miller Cr.scan708.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Rob N. 1st picture is on the West side of Shawnigan Lake in an area known as the McGee Swamp 1901 . 2nd and 3rd pictures take around West Arm of Shawnigan Lake 1902 , 2nd picture HE Hawking standing in door way (Fireman) , Bob Sproule behind (Engineer) .scan709.jpgscan710.jpgscan711.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Rob N. Lake Logging , Rounds Camp along head waters of Gordon River mid late 1930's . 1st picture Rounds Camp . 2nd picture the crew boarding old E&N coaches for ride to woods . 3rd picture Climax Locie leaving camp pulling crew coaches . 4th picture is crew heading for the cook house and Willamette No. 3 with log train .scan713.jpgscan714.jpgscan715.jpgscan716.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Rob N. Lake Logging , Rounds Camp .scan718.jpg Posting these pictures brings back a lot of memories , when I first started driving Off Highway Logging Truck at BCFP Renfrew Div. in Spring 1980 , we were hauling logs from Renfrew Div. to Caycuse Div. DLS to supply the Youbou Saw Mill with logs . The Rail Road tracks between the building's in these pictures had become a Truck Road , the camp was long gone but I remember snow on the ground with old angle iron bed frames appearing as the snow melted , also a set of rail road wheels on axle's ( they weren't very heavy as I dragged them up on the road with my pick up one weekend and loaded them in the pick up by my self , I could pick up one end at a time , they are now lawn ornament's ) as Spring arrived there were Daffodil's blooming around some of the house foundation's . It has since been relogged , all sign of the old Rounds Camp has been destroyed

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Rob N. Lake Logging , Rounds Camp , the Forest Fire burning in the "Glory Hole" and the aftermath of the fire in the "Glory Hole" 1939. scan734.jpgscan735.jpg

Sigurd

image.jpg. Camptramp I enjoy your posts from way back,really good photos you got hold of, thanks for the time you put in doing it! Last pic shows the difference in size of the two trucks. My father was owner of the 1946 Canadaford in my pic, we thought it was a big truck back then......I guess your pic is from around -46?

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
My guess was a 1946 Kenworth hauling the steam skidder from the look of the cab and radiator shell. Thanks for the great older photos.