• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Back in the Day"

HDX

Picture in post 357 The Kenworth being dumped. Sure looks like the Kenworth that Garth McLean had down there somewhere Does anybody know what ever became of him or the truck His truck was the last one I saw with the 2x12 plank bolted to the top of the center of the hood. Seeing that picture the truck looked the same

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Rob N. Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Company , Camp 8 on south shore of Lake Cowichan , 1937 , unloading or moving giant Willamette Skidder . Steam Skidder's operating during the 1930's and 1940's used skylines 2 inches in diameter and 2500 feet long . These were threaded through huge Carriages , Jacks and Blocks .scan747.jpgscan748.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Rob N. Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Camp 10 1937 , not sure but I think this camp was located near where the Lens Cr. M/L leaves the paved road leading from Mesachie Lake to Port Renfrew .scan749.jpgscan750.jpgscan751.jpg

dirty4fun

Love the old time pictures, thanks Camp Tramp for taking time to share them with us. Some neat old trucks, running on a wood road, track.

camptramp

Occupation
Rob N. Queen Charlotte Islands 1920's , When I scanned these pictures I was wondering why I couldn't see the Yarder , then I realized the Loading Boom was rigged with a Stump , roots and all for a Counter Weight .scan761.jpgscan762.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Rob N. Queen Charlotte Island's , 1920's , The QCI's have some fairly swampy area's , I would guess that at time these pictures were taken building "Plank Roads" also known as "Fore and Aft Roads" was the easiest and cheapest way to get the Timber to the "Salt Chuck". When I first started in the woods in 1966 , the Yarding Engineer was Sid "Skidder" Smith . We had a mid size school bus for a "Crummy" , Sid should have written a book , before we got out of the crummy to go to work in the AM , and at lunch time he would entertain us with tales of his past adventures in the logging camps he had worked in . I remember well his tales of working at Port McNeill for the Pioneer Timber Co. in the mid 1940's . They had "Plank Roads" there and how a fellow by the name of Archie McCone had figured out a "Turn Table" that turned the Trucks around at the Log Dump and in the Woods . scan764.jpgscan765.jpgscan766.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Presidente Camptramp, wife will make cupcakes with flags for our leader so he will be #1. First thing every morning I check in here before a coffee even.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Shameless photograph of our Fearless Leader, El Presidente. :D

Boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Presidente Camptramp, wife will make cupcakes with flags for our leader so he will be #1. First thing every morning I check in here before a coffee even.

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm currently out of pictures , but I do have some leads , we will see what tomorrow brings . Politics , I graciously decline , with thanks.