• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Back in the Day"

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Haha, he was the hardest pushing guy I ever met. Everyone I know that worked with him said how good he was. He is long retired & lives outside Port Angeles now.

roodee2

Thanks Jumbo years ago I hear of the "Silver Skagit" , other than knowing it was in the Hope B.C. area , and it had something to do with the Skagit River and Ross Dam I have little Knowledge of it . Do you know when the project was finished .
"Rigid clearing specifications had been set by British Columbia to ensure that the proposed High Ross Lake site would be free of trees and other debris in order to enhance its value as a recreational area. The Decco-Walton Logging Company of Everett, Washington was one such company operating in the Skagit Valley. Two hundred American logg rs were: employed near Ross Lake felling and yarding timber for the 42 mile trip to the booming grounds below Hope, at. which point they were towed down the Fraser River to mills at. Everett. " Page 43
From: https://skagiteec.org/wp-content/up...-The-Skagit-Valley-Recreation-Area.x27155.pdf

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
That's where I broke in cutting timber was on the old long bell Ryderwood tree farm. As a matter of fact the Longview fiber company still had their offices in the White House in Longview up until a few years ago when they were sold. Now Weyerhauser has offices in there

skyking1

they used some big timbers making Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. Nothing as big as those railroad logs though.
TimbrFrt.jpg

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
In 1978 I was working in the overhead of the Cornish School of Arts in Seattle. My journeyman and I measured the ridge piece that was 30"x40" x 96' one piece. It ran longer, but we could not measure the overhang outside. The ceiling joists and rafters were 4x12 on 16" centers. All rough cut, no planing. What really got our imagination was thinking about getting it up to the ridgeline 4 floors and an attic above grade.
Building engineering long before CAD cut everything to the minimum.