• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Attempting to resurrect Cat 3013C

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Theres no seal under the pump where it meets the block.. just timing shims.. DONT lose them..!! {Very important.}
Your not gonna need a new washer under the solenoid.. unless you destroy the old one..
& even at that, you can pick thru the copper washers at the hardware store..
I would get a gasket scraper, go behind it & pop it away from the block.. even if its just alittle, you can spin it/thread it off then..
The control rack in the pump sticks from old fuel.. it gums up like tar..
You could drop it in a container {coffee can} of carb. cleaner.. & come back the next day & see if its free.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If its not free, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.. cuz THATS a whole nuther ballgame..
& seeing this is your first diesel & you couldn't even unscrew a solenoid.. LOL.. lets take it 1 step at a time..LOL.!!! If you haven't picked it up by now.. I joke ALOT..

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Maybe thepumpguysc can describe pump/rack operation better than me or point to a link, not finding anything real good on SIS!
Best thing I could say is the rack is like a miniature rack and pinion steering box but with a separate pinion for each individual section of the pump, one for each cylinder. Try as I might can not find a breakdown on the pump.

The washer/gasket/oring or whatever it called the #2 part in the "Install solenoid" picture above should be available at any Cat dealer if no place else. Cat's part number for it is 153-6412. Being a cheep SOB unless you destroy it getting the remains of the solenoid off I'd just reuse it till you are sure the motor is going to run and then only if there is a leak. To me it looks like it may just be a simple "Dowty Seal" if you are not familiar with them Google is your friend.

kshansen

Occupation
You ruin everything Hansen.. Lol
I must be getting my helping mixed up..?? I'm helping another guy on another forum w/ a similar problem.. He has a 1 wire set-up.. but still, anybody ever seen a channel-loc grip, torque set-up?? { I know your going to look}.

Well you said I'd go looking so here is the best I could find!
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

Be sure to look careful at the scale on the wrench it is very tecynically calibrated!

Sorry toomany if I'm making light of your troubles but it's too hot outside for me to be doing any productive work!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
HOLY SH*T Hansen.!!! that's Hilarious.!! I knew I could count on you..Lol
I'm expecting family from NYC this Friday so I'm out cutting grass.. you wanna talk about HOT..
First I had to replace the spindle brgs & change the blades.. no fun..
Now I had to rebuild the carb on the weed wackers & do THAT.. tomorrows another day tho..

toomanyedwards

I've got another stupid (and easy for you guys) question. What's the spring-loaded lever circled below? Note this is an old pic from before the solenoid sheared off. Still planning on working on this thing again tomorrow.

IMG_2417.PNG

thepumpguysc

Occupation
THAT.. is a MANUAL shut off lever.. it takes the place of the electric sol.
Some pieces of equip. aren't electric start/stop but they used the same block.. just plugged off the hole & added a "string"..{pull cable}
If you could, can you post a pic of the SIDE of the pump.. it'll help us/you get the pump off..
What I want to know is, if the engine has a "side cover" under the injection pump..
IF IT DOES.. its much easier to get the pump off..
Theres a small notch cut out of the block that you have to hit when your raising the pump..
It allows the rack pin to pass thru..
IF it has a side cover that you can remove, its easier to find the "slot"..
Go look up a "Kubota injection pump".. & search around until you find a break down of the pump & engine.. it'll be a lot clearer then..
Theres a lot of pump breakdowns on the web too.. I just don't know how to add a "link"..

Last edited:

toomanyedwards

Ok. That's what I thought. Can I just use this to manipulate the rack and check if it's stuck vs sticking a pick/hook in the solenoid port? Should I see this move when I get the new solenoid in and it's engaged?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
You see those 5 sided bolts on the inj. pump?? They're 5 sided for a reason.. to keep people out.. & the socket costs right at 300.00 & that's for an aftermarket tool.!!! The only reason I know that is, a guy on here asked me that last month..
You'd sh*t if you knew what a "real" socket costs..{my socket}
& that my friends is why I make "the big bucks".. Lol..
BUT they can be removed w/ a 2.00 chisel..LOL
I DONT recommend it tho.. seriously..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
IF you TRY to use the shut off, its gonna break internally & you have to pull the front of the engine apart to get the pieces out.. NOT FUN. not to mention replacing a part that doesn't even get used..
It wont move when you install the new solenoid.
I guess you could try, but use a lot of common sense when trying.. it not a strong piece & will break.. I've had to pull the front offa many engines to fix that problem.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
You see those 5 sided bolts on the inj. pump?? They're 5 sided for a reason.. to keep people out.. & the socket costs right at 300.00 & that's for an aftermarket tool.!!! The only reason I know that is, a guy on here asked me that last month..
You'd sh*t if you knew what a "real" socket costs..{my socket}
& that my friends is why I make "the big bucks".. Lol..
BUT they can be removed w/ a 2.00 chisel..LOL
I DONT recommend it tho.. seriously..

Awwwwww But I just wanted to see what was inside before I paid you the big money to repair it....LOL

toomanyedwards

Got the old solenoid removed unbolted the fuel pump bolts and nuts. When I try to pull the pump cover it won’t go over the top studs. Feels like it’s catching on something. Note: Middle fuel line still connected but not at the injector so it’s not hanging on that. Did I miss a step here? Video below:

kshansen

Occupation
Well attached is what Cat says, might need some advice from the pumpguy if that does not work. Probably something simple if you have done a few!

Just took a look at the instructions after I posted and the second step is to remove the solenoid. did you say you had installed it? That could be the problem!

Attachments

• Fuel Injection Pump - Remove.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 13

toomanyedwards

I tried manipulating the rack through the solenoid port but nothing’s moving. Wonder if a stuck rack is keeping the pump from coming out. Last thing I want to do is bend the rack trying to take out the pump.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Lets STOP & think about this..
The solenoid PUSHES the rack to the shut off position {right}.. & that's where it lived for a long time..
The slot in the block is to the left.. You have to get the rack to the left inorder for it to come out.
Any way you can slide a screwdriver or gasket scraper down the right side & try to push it to the left??

DIYDAVE

My rack wasn't stuck, but I had a similar problem. Just grind or saw a slot into each of the studs, and back them out, with a screwdriver... once the studs are out, there's much more room...;)