• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Would You Haul it ??

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
So what is the comfort level with this? BTW we cross chained it on the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 2,173

bushmechanic

You always always cross chain any rubber tired or track equipment. It will never move. I have hauled some really scary loads and never dumped anything. I have seen guys that don't cross chain and it will come loose and it will slide. Check out our web site google mintys moving ltd. we are out of Onanole manitoba canada. To date we have never lost a load we haul or move anything. We always cross chain that way each chain is pulling in 2 directions and it is imposible for your load to move

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now i ain't gonna get in a ****'n match with you ATCO, but they haul stuff like that out west all the time with no ext. and side boards...

No worries tonka. I'll be the first to admit I ain't no truck driver. And there's no doubt the extra wide machine are loaded and hauled everyday without incident. I'm only saying, the load is over width anyway, the trailer had the sideboards on the deck, the trailer had the extension cleats, why not plop two boards down that you already have and put a little less stress on the track chains. That's all I'm sayin. :)

Tiny

OK here's a random drive by......What say you , Would you haul it that way ?

Attachments

• wyh 2.jpg
    wyh 2.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 2,061

muzy

Pass, thnx thou. What the temp over there Tiny? Looks like nto a bad day. muzy

Tiny

I didn,t notice any rating tags on the binder or chain? DOT around here are getting picky

I think D.O.T. is stepping up enforcement everywhere , All of our chains have links that are stamped or embossed with the rating (G70 I think)

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
That chain would have to be 3/8'',not 5/16'' looking at the size of those binders.I am a big proponent of diagonal cross chaining,much safer all around.The thing I don't care for here is the long slow angle of the chains in the rear.The geometry is all wrong if there were stresses being created during an oopsy that might release the rig from the trailer.For sure with all that slack,those binders would have to be constantly re-adjusted.I hate moving those genie lifts,especially when I'm all by myself as your vision is limited.I'll get off and on the seat 10 times at least to make sure I'm all squared up nice.

BradyHill1

So what is the comfort level with this? BTW we cross chained it on the truck.

I haul skidders and cutter all the time like this, don't even cross chain, they never move, I've found the trick with articulated machines is to secure all corners so it can't move

Last edited:

BradyHill1

the crane operator lied to me about the weight, I told him if it was over 55k pounds that I wasn't hauling it, good way to stress test a lowboy

Attachments

• crane weight ticket.jpg
    crane weight ticket.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,172
  • crane picture 3.jpg
    crane picture 3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,184

DrJim

Occupation
General Dentist, including Implant Restorations
Who needs a lowboy--you don't need one to haul an excavator, do you?

:D OK, finally a practical example for us regular folk. Would you haul like this? All the sniveling about being "hairy to load", Atco's fussing about no sideboards, "stress on the track chains", etc. Who needs a lowboy anyway?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE02T...eature=related

Last edited by a moderator: