• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Would You Haul it ??

Tiny

Saw this while at Hertz today,Would you haul it tied like this ??

Attachments

• 1 11 111 042R.jpg
    1 11 111 042R.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 10,091
  • 1 11 111 043R.jpg
    1 11 111 043R.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 10,128
  • 1 11 111 044R.jpg
    1 11 111 044R.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 10,090
  • 1 11 111 045R.jpg
    1 11 111 045R.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 9,960

Ross

Well I aint a truck drive BUT: Looks ok ..

They chain D11R's down in the same mannor althou with bigger chains ..

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I think it needs more chains. Lol:tong

Dusty Roads

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Well it looks good to me.:beatsme I have hauled just like that many times,never lost anything yet,:D course it has been awhile and something about it is probably illegal today.... :cool2

Tiny

I was just wondering,Maybe this group can put up some other examples of what you would Haul or not Haul

daman

Occupation
Agriculture,Truck Driver,Mechanic
Ok but two things,,,1, bigger chains,too small and 2, in the back where the chain fits into the tear drop slots in the frame that wouldn't cut for me,the hook needs to be planted in around a D ring or frame it.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Nope not with those snap binders.... and i would shorten the chains....

Dusty Roads

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Ok Tiny heres one,I use to do some crazy hauls.I had a Link belt crane with 50" boom on this trailer,had the operator follow me to turn the crane when I had to make a corner.To bad I don't have those pics

Attachments

• K&K Pics 017 - Copy (640x300).jpg
    K&K Pics 017 - Copy (640x300).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9,780
Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I have to wonder why they'd secure it down to the opposite sides?

Seems to me, that if the machine wanted to roll over, in the direction of the red arrow, there's nothing really applying any downward force to keep it from doing so.

Why not simply go from the near side directly down to the attach point, as illustrated by the green arrow?

Also not sure why they'd bother attaching to two different points with each chain. That seems like an awful lot of slack to have to take up, especially with snap binders.

:beatsme

Attachments

• 1%2011%20111%20045Rmodified.jpg
    1%2011%20111%20045Rmodified.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 9,687

monkey

I don't exactly know why, but I've always cross chained, maybe I just saw it done that way :beatsme

Though I think it helps keep it from shifting side to side, because your chains are at more of an angle, where as chaining down on each side doesn't give you as much force to prevent lateral movement

Last edited:

Tiny

Thats the same with me monkey , cross chain everything.Never lost anything like that.

Ross

Good point there Digger ..

Always seen equipment cross chained .. And with ratchet's not Snap-Biders (another good point)

The D11's are also chained down on the bed with exta chains and crossed over the Hoist yokes.

Tiny

I wanted honest opinions and am glad to have them . I think we all need to hear others opinions. Thank You .

As far as the cross chaining gos I have done it for years and i have had a lot less movement crossed .

A 5/16 chain I don't go to the extra work of a screw boomer.

Two attachment points are because none are rated over 5,000 lbs each and it"s a habit

Attachments

• 1 11 111.jpg
    1 11 111.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 9,580

muzy

Yup, looks good. I would add wire to the boomers and call it good.
I like my boomers facing up when closed and when closing them. But some of the bigger guys have no prob. a little side ways.
As far as the chain doubled back, normaly I would use that when chaining iron as there is not much give. So when you take a link it realy is only half a link. muzy :)

Tiny

Next Question, Median barrier.How would you tie it down ? I gotta haul a couple of loads tomorrow. Precast concrete 12 feet long and around 6600 lbs.

Last edited:

Deerehauler

I am in agreement with Digger242. I do NOT cross chain EXCEPT when the tire on the equipment does not allow the chain to run straight from the tie down on the machine to the D-ring or chain slot on my trailer.

I try to keep the distance from the tie down on the machine to the trailer as short as reasonably possible. When standing at the back of the trailer looking forward, I like to have chains as close to vertical as possible. When looking at the trailer from the side, I like to have the chains angles somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees. I haul lots of sprayers and combines, which are wider than the main deck on my trailer, making vertical chaining possible.

The D-rings on my trailer are rated for 7500 lbs and the chain slots are rated for 8000 lbs. I usually use the slots whenever possible. Grade 70 5/16" chain is heavy enough for most things I haul--if something is heavier, I use more chains.

We recently had a DOT officer put on a training seminar for our company. The way he explained chaining, if the chain leaves a tie-down, goes through a loop on the machine, and returns to the original tie down point, you can figure the whole weight rating of the chain. If the chain does not go to the same tie down point, it only counts for half of it's capacity. In this picture, if I understand the rules correctly, the chains could only count for half of their rated capacity.

I will try to remember to get some pictures of how I chain things down, now that I have a phone with a camera that works.

muzy

As for the barrier it will depend how they are being loaded and unloaded. Forklift they have to be on dunage, crane-on the deck. as far as securement they suck as most are smooth with no tie points. If they had liftting points, run chain thru from one side to the other. If not then a piece of dunage chained down in front to limit forward movment incase of emerg. stop.
Probly would end up with 2 over the top (chain or belt) one across the front pulling back, one on the back pulling forward (chain) per. group. Maby a third over the top. I think with these it would be hard to get 2 differnt scales to agree. good luck, but you have hauled more loads of these than you could remember. I am confidant what you have been doing will make the grade. muzy :)