• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why no Jake brake in pick-up's?

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I drove a DM600 with a 237 Maxidyne and Dynatard, and while it wasn't as effective as a Jake, it certainly helped me out on downgrades.

Is the 500 a V-8?

Yup ! …..it was a V-8, if my memory serves me right it was ~1100 cu.in. block ??? …. I remember it was more cubes than a 3406B Cat a little less that the 3408 Cat V8 ??? ….. it was "SWEET" to drive and listening to that chugging awesome torqued V8, especially after just coming off of a Screaming 475 silver Jimmy that you had to drive like you hated or stole it all the time, LOL ……..

You are right about that, the Dynatard was way better than just the pedal in the middle ….. but we were loaded all the time between 50 and 55 metric tonnes, hwy and 70 tonnes off hwy.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
OK ! …. It bugged me so I went and checked it out to re-update the 'ol noggin ……. The Mack E-9 500hp V8 was 998 cu.in. …… and the 3408 Cat V8 was 1099 cu.in I knew something was 1100 cu.in just was grey on which one ….LOL …. So its a self correction ….. cheers

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Thanks CRAFT, the company I worked for had a few V-8 Macks and I'll agree the Dynatard wasn't as effective in them as the 6 cylinders for some reason.

wilko

I'm just glad they don't. Think of all the wanna-be truck drivers with loud pipes jaking at every hill, stop sign, curve in the road, and upshift.

dondiesel444

the biggest reason they can't make a Jake or compression brake for todays smaller diesel engines is simple. the lifters. for a compression brake to work you need solid lifters, and all pickup truck engines today have hydraulic lifters.

I don't know how the newer exhaust brakes work, but from experience with them years ago, you were better off sticking your arm out the window to create a resistance to slow the truck down. all they did was make noise...

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The modern ones are way better than they used to be. Pretty much all the small to mid range engines come with the heavy exhaust valve springs as standard now to allow them to be installed on any engine with some pretty agressive back pressure settings. The Cummins ISC, though, switched to using a real Jake brake when the DPFs came along and that thing will slow the truck down right away even without downshifting.

Randy88

Around me jake brakes are banned everywhere now, can't imagine what it would be like to have everyone having them in pickups too, but while on the subject of jake brakes, my wife thinks the greatest invention ever would be to put one on a harley, she thinks if she knew how, she's make millions, imagine how much more noise a harley would make with a jake on it, not so much for braking but for more noise.

As for cost being the factor they are not being sold, at about 40k or more for a fully loaded diesel pickup, can't imagine some more for a jake would deter anyone from putting that on a new pickup as well, maybe when they run out of other garbage options to tack on a pickup, jakes with be the next "new" have to have option on a truck.

Oxbow

Around me jake brakes are banned everywhere now, can't imagine what it would be like to have everyone having them in pickups too, but while on the subject of jake brakes, my wife thinks the greatest invention ever would be to put one on a harley, she thinks if she knew how, she's make millions, imagine how much more noise a harley would make with a jake on it, not so much for braking but for more noise.

As for cost being the factor they are not being sold, at about 40k or more for a fully loaded diesel pickup, can't imagine some more for a jake would deter anyone from putting that on a new pickup as well, maybe when they run out of other garbage options to tack on a pickup, jakes with be the next "new" have to have option on a truck.

Didn't Yamaha or Hodaka used to have compression release mechanisms on dirt bikes in the 70's? I am not a motorcycle enthusiast, but I seem to recall something like that from friends that were.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

I think you and your wife are right on all countse except one thing: they make little to no noise with these new DPF mufflers, at least no more noise than the truck when it is pulling a load. The average Joe couldn't tell when the Jake is on or off on a modern truck these days. However, that won't help with the yay-hoos who gut their exhaust and go straight pipe. It makes me laugh to hear an empty Dodge pickup taking off from a stop sign that makes as much noise as a semi going up the freeway.

Didn't Yamaha or Hodaka used to have compression release mechanisms on dirt bikes in the 70's? I am not a motorcycle enthusiast, but I seem to recall something like that from friends that were.

Right again, I remember Rick Sieman the dirt bike columnist mentioning using it to slow down in one of his comical stories about desert riding, but I have never seen one that could be used that way. I think they were gone by the mid to late 70s.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
…(the only thing that worked worse were the Jimmy's with a Jake ……. kinda like rolling down the window and flapping your lips …LOL) ...
Why do the Jimmy's with Jake's not work good? Something to do with the 2-stroke design?

the biggest reason they can't make a Jake or compression brake for todays smaller diesel engines is simple. the lifters. for a compression brake to work you need solid lifters, and all pickup truck engines today have hydraulic lifters.
Why are solid lifters a must for a Jake to work?

wilko

They were something you got from the aftermarket, although some engines came from the factory with a second spark plug hole, which made the install easy. All the cool kids had a compression release.

mike in idaho

A jake brake in a Dodge pickup? , I can't help but wonder how much more irritating the straight pipe jerk wads that run around here could be with that kind of thing to play with. The Jacobs compression brake in the bigger Cummins engines used movement from the injector pushrod to operate a slave piston and kick the exhaust valve open, at the point of maximum cylinder pressure, to create a total energy loss at the top of the stroke. It's pretty hard to duplicate that in an engine that doesn't have an injector pushrod.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator

They were something you got from the aftermarket, although some engines came from the factory with a second spark plug hole, which made the install easy. All the cool kids had a compression release.

YES they did have them as an aftermarket add on on any 2-stroke dirt bike with the second sparkplug port ! …… I HAD them and still have one on a (now called vintage) Suzuki TC 185 … ~1975 this one, and the first we had were on a Suzuki TC 90 (1970), a Suzuki TS 185 (1971) and a Moto-Beta 100 (1968) …….. these were not just a gimmick they really did work good ….. so good that in the wrong gear (lower like 1st or 2nd) and enough RPM (too high) in could damn near put you over the handle bars going down a Hill (toooo Steeep) ….LOL…. but used correctly they were the cats bumbum to prevent rear brake lock up ….. OMG !!! am I dating myself now or what ??? …LOL… Thanx for the reminded Memories ….. cheers