• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why no Jake brake in pick-up's?

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
So whats the reason auto makers don't offer a Jake brake in pickups and med duty trucks?
I know the exhaust brakes in the newer trucks work good. But anyone that has drove a truck with a true Jake brake knows that exhaust brakes just don't compare. I read in the past there was a aftermarket company working on a Jake for the 6.7 Cummins, but not sure if it ever hit the market. So why is this not a factory option? We all know there are plenty of pick-ups pulling loads that could benefit form a Jake.

lantraxco

I suppose it's feasible, but the smaller the engine, obviously the less room there is for adding hardware, spacer plate to raise the valve cover, etc., then the hood hits it or something else is in the way. Also with today's electronic controls and emissions regs you would probably have to have the full cooperation and blessing of the engine maker, interface the jake controls with the engine ECU. Since none of the smaller engines to my knowledge use mechanical injection it would require the jake system where the intake or exhaust lifter on one cylinder would open the exhaust valve on the cylinder approaching TDC. The exhaust retarders are quick to install, they work and with today's braking systems usually adequate.

Maybe the short answer is, the manufacturers don't want people pulling those big loads with their products, even though they know full well it happens. The legal team probably uses the big red "NO" stamp on the suggestion.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
In addition to what lantraxco suggested, I'd imagine cost would be a factor, and demand. I'm not sure what percentage of buyers would opt for it, they'd have to sell a lot of them to make them affordable.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
In addition to what lantraxco suggested, I'd imagine cost would be a factor, and demand. I'm not sure what percentage of buyers would opt for it, they'd have to sell a lot of them to make them affordable.

That would all come down to cost. Most people I know would consider it money well spent if it wasn't a huge amount of money.

Oxbow

The company I used to work for had an electromagnetic drive line retarder installed on the lowboy tractor. it worked great, but they had a lot of u-joint/yoke problems going into the power divider. It was soundless and smooth in application, but you didn't want to use it before coming to a stop as it would build a lot of heat and needed the air flow when moving to cool it.

I don't remember the brand name, but it was similar to this:http://www.klamamerica.com/KAC Info EPM-ECM.pdf

I don't recall how pricey it was, but it was sure nice. Perhaps they have improved them now and the heating is not an issue. I think the u-joint problem may have been caused by incorrect driveline angle. They can be installed in place of the carrier bearing. Might be something to look into:idea I hope I"m not breaking any rules here, I am not endorseing this product, but rather putting the link up as an example of the product.

Last edited:

ben46a

Have you been under the valvecovers of a 6.7 cummins, a duramax, or powerstroke? There is simply no room. Pacbrake was making a new rockerbox for the 6.7, but it wasn't a true jake style brake, it simply allowed a normal gate style exhaust brake to work better by constantly holding the exhaust valve open during operation.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
I just got done a job where I was pulling a 33' racecar trailer with a '07 Dodge 3500 with the 6.7 cummins and it had the exhaust brake. Loaded truck and trailer came in at 23.5k. The exhaust brake worked as well as a full blown engine brake IMO. With proper planning I had no problems bringing the whole rig to a stop using nothing but the exhaust brake.

firsttime.jpg

excavator

When Jacobs first started marketing their engine brake in the early 1960's, their were alot of drivetrain problems at first. Especially rear ends. The vibration associated with the Jake brake was tearing them apart. I realize this was a long time ago and things have improved but I would think that vibration would still be somewhat of an issue.

61BG

Buddy of mine has a Dodge 5500 with the 6.7 & factory E brake & it works Awesome!!! I have read & been told that the Dodge/Cummins has the most effective E brake in a pickup. You really need to try one with a trailer behind you, you wont believe how good they really do work.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
Buddy of mine has a Dodge 5500 with the 6.7 & factory E brake & it works Awesome!!! I have read & been told that the Dodge/Cummins has the most effective E brake in a pickup. You really need to try one with a trailer behind you, you wont believe how good they really do work.

Well I shoulda bought a Dodge but thats a entirely different thread.

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
Pacbrake was making a new rockerbox for the 6.7, but it wasn't a true jake style brake, it simply allowed a normal gate style exhaust brake to work better by constantly holding the exhaust valve open during operation.
Maybe I'm confused on how a Jake brake works, how is that not a true jake brake style?
I was under the impression a jake opens a exhaust valve after the compression stroke.

heymccall

Can you imagine the large horses of wanna be truck drivers using them while empty or inclement weather, resulting in gobs of senseless accidents? Hell, a big cam 400 Jake can lock a bobtail tractor down, in the dry, at 30 mph.
Besides, if you don't use the brakes, corrosion related binding can occur early.

shopguy

Yea jake opens exhaust valve just before tdc to dump compression, holding the valve open all time dosent hold any compression at all it just stops the (rebound pressure) after tdc and that helps a bit but not as much

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Telma is probably the name. We used to run them on medium-sized ambulances and they work great. I'm not sure what problem they could ever have if you used them down to a stop because ours worked every time you pressed the brake pedal automatically in stages and they worked great. There is not much to them, just a big chunk of iron similar to a brake rotor but much larger, and some magnet coils that use a whole lot of power.

They are very heavy though and add a lot to the tare of the truck.

They also make a hydraulic version, Cat brakesaver is the same thing, or they can be standalone, or integrated in an Allison transmission. Again it adds weight and abuses the oil of whatever system it is coupled to.

I still prefer Jake brakes because they don't weigh anything practically, don't compromise any other system of the truck, work the strongest, and can work at full power for however long you need to.

The company I used to work for had an electromagnetic drive line retarder installed on the lowboy tractor. it worked great, but they had a lot of u-joint/yoke problems going into the power divider. It was soundless and smooth in application, but you didn't want to use it before coming to a stop as it would build a lot of heat and needed the air flow when moving to cool it.

I don't remember the brand name, but it was similar to this:http://www.klamamerica.com/KAC Info EPM-ECM.pdf

I don't recall how pricey it was, but it was sure nice. Perhaps they have improved them now and the heating is not an issue. I think the u-joint problem may have been caused by incorrect driveline angle. They can be installed in place of the carrier bearing. Might be something to look into:idea I hope I"m not breaking any rules here, I am not endorseing this product, but rather putting the link up as an example of the product.

BlazinSS934

The Telma systems are great my FD specs them on all of the engines and one of our ladders have it also . Totally seamless operation pretty powerful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Telma is probably the name………………………………... There is not much to them, just a big chunk of iron similar to a brake rotor but much larger, and some magnet coils that use a whole lot of power……...

……… When I was up North hauling Logs 25 yrs ago, there were a couple of guys that had them on their Superliners w/500hp and the dumb-ass Dynatards system that was Macks answer to a Jake (the only thing that worked worse were the Jimmy's with a Jake ……. kinda like rolling down the window and flapping your lips …LOL) ……. Birken Vogt you are def correct about that the system uses alot of power ….. after those guys took out a couple of alternators they wound up installing a second dedicated alternator to help keep up the power levels ….. but they sure did work well !! …...

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I drove a DM600 with a 237 Maxidyne and Dynatard, and while it wasn't as effective as a Jake, it certainly helped me out on downgrades.

Is the 500 a V-8?