• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who uses a skid steer only at home?

k45

i just picked up an 05 asv rc30 for home and some side job work. i have wanted one since i was a kid, like a dream come true.....

I don't think they had even invented them when I was a kid! LOL.

Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it.

Ken

Odyknuck

Greetings folks. I am new to the forum and spoted this thread as I looking for a Skidsteer for home use. I am in the search process of buying my first Skidsteer and must say it has been a challenge. I don't even know what is the best machine and or size to buy (zero experince). My current task list includes driveway work, building an Offroad Buggy Washdown area, Trails in the wodds, Removing and replacing the top soil with fill dirt the Contractor used to support the lower end of my shop etc. May even want to dig a Pond. So Please help me chosse the right machine. I have $7000.00 to spend.

Odyknuck

I understand diesel engines have more torque ,however is a gas engine a viable option or should I stay away from them ?

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
My neighbor has an old Bobcat. I work on construction jobs all day. Just when I start to relax at home, out comes his skid steer with the loudest back up alarm I've heard. He and his wife take turns with it. (I won't say 'operating' it, since they have one stick or the other in reverse all the time, and the alarm NEVER stops) I have to listen to that obnoxious alarm for hours sometimes. This is after hearing them at work all day. I may just go down there with wire cutters one evening and FIX it for him.

jcoop

I have a bobcat 542b that I have had at home for the last 8 years and it has been very good for me, now it's dead. will start another thread to see if I can get some help.

thanks
John

dave esterns

hahaha! im with you with the neighbors having a backup alarm!! my neighbors are a half mile away and i have often wondered y they still have it connected. they went 40 years without it, y start now?? i think the loud roar of the engine is enough to let bystanders know there is a bobcat about to run them over...

LWG

I have a Case 1816 and Bobcat T200 that I use only at home. The Case has a whopping 16 hp! It is the handiest little machine. It can only handle about 700 lbs, and that's with 2 counterweights. It's as tippy as hell, even on flat ground. But, it will fit through a 36" door. I have a trailer for it and I can take it anywhere. For snow and general lifting chores, it's great.

The T200 is a different class machine. I'm doing a lot of landscaping on a steep hill, and I can't believe how stable it is.

I have used a Case 1835 for home use, and that's close to the 1845 you were looking at. I would think that machine would be a good, all around skidsteer for you so long as you are not regularly working in mud or on steep slopes.

cheyenne

I have a Gehl 4635SX that is the main workhorse on my 70 acres. It feeds my sawmill moves & digs rocks up with the forks....Jacks up the trucks.....Plows the snow......Now if it would only bring me beer......The most valuable machine I have & will go to the grave with me....Cheyenne

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
My old man bought his first skid steer back in 85', 2 months before i was born. We still got her to this day, its a bobcat 743 and has paid for itself 1000 times over on the jobs. But shes been garage (barn) kept now for atleast 10 yrs or so but we use it only around the house, for movin firewood and misc. stuff, and plowin the driveway out.

JustForFun

cabin3.JPGcabin2.JPGcabin1.JPGcabin5.JPGcabin4.JPGHad/have a Case 1845B gas for over ten years. Great machine, but blew a rod bearing a year ago so I bought a Cat 247B. Just had to try a tracked machine and the price was right. Love the Cat but I am afraid of what the future may bring $$. I've already spent $1000 on new rollers. Still have the Case just need to re-install the engine and then decide which machine to keep.
We have spent the last 8 years building a lakehome in northern MN and use the machine for everything, can't live without one.

irwin

My neighbor has an old Bobcat. I work on construction jobs all day. Just when I start to relax at home, out comes his skid steer with the loudest back up alarm I've heard. He and his wife take turns with it. (I won't say 'operating' it, since they have one stick or the other in reverse all the time, and the alarm NEVER stops) I have to listen to that obnoxious alarm for hours sometimes. This is after hearing them at work all day. I may just go down there with wire cutters one evening and FIX it for him.

That would drive me to distraction alright. I bless my luck so far the neighbors are good...
I bought a New Holland L555 a couple years ago for home use.. love it. The perkins diesel has been flawless..
If you have land that needs work ... a TLB, a skid steer, a golf cart (or utv) and various cart pullers etc. are mandatory.:D

theman

Hi Im new here!! I would like to say I use my skid steer at home too- When my house was being built the contractor left alot of dirt piled on the property , I figuired it was better if I bought a skid steer than rent one. My first skid steer was an old john deere375- I used that machine for over eight years around the house, it really made my life alot easier. I used it for moving dirt, snow, sand etc. pulling my jetski and drag boat out of the water, and countless other jobs that would have taken me for ever to do. My friends and boss thought I was nuts to buy one. I live on Long Island on the water, after this past winters storms my old deere was moving the snow just not as fast a bigger machine ( I was getting calls from my bosses customers wanting snow piles moved)- so I sold the old deere and bought a bobcat 763 high flow with low hours and alot of new attacthments which I will probably never use but they are cool to look at!! I am planning to retire some where out west and up north so I can play with my bobcat all day long. This site is very helpfull and interesting...Chris

Kobe130

Occupation
Economist, power company
Yes I use my skid at my country property on the lake here in Manitoba. Thomas 233HD. Thomas is gone now but my machine is still running strong. It along with my 580 Super L has been very useful in building the house the shop etc as well as moving the jetski and Wellcraft into the water. I couldn't do without either of them now. The Thomas has never given me a lick of trouble. However, I recently bought a Case 95XT with high flow to run the snowblower and I was going to sell the Thomas when I realized I couldn't part with it. It's just too good and reliable. So I guess I'll keep 'em both.

James R

Hi all, I'm a new member. Was an operator a good part of my life, #9 Denver, but on the side lines now after six surgeries on my back. I bought an old Bobcat 543 to move snow from my driveway where I live in the country of rural Nebraska. It runs well but the loader is lower on the right side of the machine. Looks like the Bobcat had a rough life, it's pretty beat up but it's what I could afford to buy. I'll be posting a thread for help as soon as I'm allowed. I'm glad I found this forum, been looking around, looks like a lot of good information from good folks helping other members. Glad to meet you! Jim