• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who uses a skid steer only at home?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am not a BC officiano, but the 863 has a pretty good history. I would have to be convinced that the 01 is worth more than 10K. I think the 863 had a Duetz motor, there are some maintanence issues to keep up on with those. I would think if you could get the 863 for 10K you would have a decent deal and assuming its in good shape a good skid steer for a homeowner.

MarkinMass

What are the issues with the Duetz engines? I don't know the differences between the different engines offered in Bobcats. I have seen Duetz, Kubota and Isuzu engines offered in various sized machines. Is there an engine that I shoudl avoid?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Primarily the timing belt I believe on the Duetz. Finding one with a Kubota would be ideal. The only one that I would specifically avoid would be the 751 that had a Pugeot (sp) in it. That was a bad deal. The Duetz will be more expensive to work on if it goes down. Hopefully a bc mechanic will chime in with some specifics on engine selection.

LWG

IIRC, the Deutz is an interference engine. If the timing belt fails, there will likely be contact between the piston and the valves, with damage to both. When the timing belt is worn, it can cause hard starting and poor operation. The machine I bought has the Deutz BF4M1011. When I was considering buying it, I had a shop go over it before I signed the deal. The machine was very hard to start. The mechanic was sure it was the injectors. I wanted to have the timing belt changed, since that is a maintenance item with that engine. Cleaning the injectors didn't help the starting, but the new timing belt sure did. There are special tools to do the job, but you can rent them from the same company that sells the belt. The Deutz is oil cooled, so don't plan on buying antifreeze. Some say the Deutz parts are less available and more expensive than the Kubota. The engines can be rebuilt for about $5k from a rebuilding company, or around $3-4k for a shop repair.

hiniker88

I work for a bobcat dealer and have only been there a short time. I have only seen one major issue with a deutz engine and was when it broke the belt. Bent all the pushrod, couple rockers, rocker bolts. The earlier 863s are a pain to run because of the cable steering in my opinion

MarkinMass

I work for a bobcat dealer and have only been there a short time. I have only seen one major issue with a deutz engine and was when it broke the belt. Bent all the pushrod, couple rockers, rocker bolts. The earlier 863s are a pain to run because of the cable steering in my opinion

What do you mean by "earlier 863's"? I am looking at a 2001, does that qualify?

Thanks - Mark

bobcat753owner

This is my second post. I recently bought a '97 753 to use around my property in preparation of building a new home. It has been handy and can't imagine lifting all the junk that has been hauled away for scrap metal by hand. The 4n1 bucket sure is handy. hope to expand attachment arsenal in future

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
The 2001 does not have cable steering. My 1998 863 does not either. I have 6,786 hours on my Deutz and have no problems. Then again I have had great luck with the kubotas and Perkins also. Amazing what an oil change will do for longevity haha

MarkinMass

The 2001 does not have cable steering. My 1998 863 does not either. I have 6,786 hours on my Deutz and have no problems. Then again I have had great luck with the kubotas and Perkins also. Amazing what an oil change will do for longevity haha

Couldn't agree with you more. That's the difference between owners that take care and keep up with the mainteanace and those that don't. Hours are important on a machine, but not as much as keeping up with the maintenance.

No doubt I will have someone that is more mechanically inclined than I am, perform a thorough check on any machiine that I might want to purchase. Great forum!

MarkinMass

Well the 2001 bobcat 863 sold fast, so I could not jump on it. The 2001 with 3k+ hours listed for $12.5k and sold for $11.5k, it was in pretty good condition. So my dilemma is that I can get the 1996 Bobact 863 for $9k, should I even consider it? It appears to be in good shape for the year and hours on it. I will have timing belt replaced and a full service performed before i get it. I just don't think in my area of the country that I can find a machine of this size for much less that I can get this one for.
I will only put 150 hours or so on the machine per year so it could last me a very long time. Still, I am very concerned about the engine as that is a lot of hours. No smoke coming out of the engine (no more than it should).

I need an opinion, walk away or decent enough price to take a chance. Thanks, I appreciate it..........................

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You wont find a decent machine for less. The only question would be could you find a better machine for the same or a little more money. I would say that if the machine checks out mechanically to take it. If you can get it for 9K as long as it doesn't puke the engine or hyd pump you should come out just fine meaning even if you had to sell it right away for whatever reason you should be able to at least break even. Too bad on the newer one. Given what you want to do with it, it might be as good as you will find for the money (again assuming it is mechanically sound). If you have any doubts take it to the dealer spend a couple hundred dollars and have them go over the machine and get a good idea of what it might need in repairs. Being a homeowner, recouping any money that you have to put into the machine is difficult if not impossible. Your machine is strictly an expense with little income, if any, to counter the money you put into it so you need to be pretty careful. So if it checks out to be a sound machine take it. If it needs more than say 1500 dollars in repairs I would keep looking because that is 1500 you can add to a newer machine with likely less hours. Thats my thoughts anyway.

Massman

Late 90's Case 1845C, my at home snow plow, brush hauler, firewood splitter, and basic hydraulic wheelbarrow!!!!!

Parker22

My father did for years.... But that skid is about to be traded in or sold for a new skid that him and I will be buying together. I will use it away from home. I need my account activated so I can ask some questions!!!!!

Wondering between a Bobcat 185, 205, or a Deere 320D...

MarkinMass

Well the 2001 bobcat 863 sold fast, so I could not jump on it. The 2001 with 3k+ hours listed for $12.5k and sold for $11.5k, it was in pretty good condition. So my dilemma is that I can get the 1996 Bobact 863 for $9k, should I even consider it? It appears to be in good shape for the year and hours on it. I will have timing belt replaced and a full service performed before i get it. I just don't think in my area of the country that I can find a machine of this size for much less that I can get this one for.
I will only put 150 hours or so on the machine per year so it could last me a very long time. Still, I am very concerned about the engine as that is a lot of hours. No smoke coming out of the engine (no more than it should).

I need an opinion, walk away or decent enough price to take a chance. Thanks, I appreciate it..........................

Well the '96 863 had a couple of broken motor mounts and some hydraulic leaks. I decided to walk away and keep looking, as a machine with 4,300+ hours and problems to boot does not make sense to purchase. I will keep looking and hopefully find a decent size machine in relatively good shape for ~ $10k.

jcg

MarkinMass, sounds like we are in the same boat. Lookin for a machine that hasn't been beat to death, reasonable hours, 10 years old or so, 10k +/-. It's a tough find in the market for me here in the midwest. Appears that owners have their machines and aren't really eager to sell them. Lots of them on the market for 6mos or more but asking 14k-17k. Also, not many private sellers, mostly implement dealers which drives $ up. I plan on taking two good friends of mine (mechanic & operator) to auctions and take my chances there. After all, most dealers aren't going to warranty a used machine anyway....they'll just be willing to sell parts & service. A good mechanic with a few hours inspection time can give you the yea or nay on a machine whether or not its in someone's backyard, at a dealer or at an auction. Just my .02

MarkinMass

MarkinMass, sounds like we are in the same boat. Lookin for a machine that hasn't been beat to death, reasonable hours, 10 years old or so, 10k +/-. It's a tough find in the market for me here in the midwest. Appears that owners have their machines and aren't really eager to sell them. Lots of them on the market for 6mos or more but asking 14k-17k. Also, not many private sellers, mostly implement dealers which drives $ up. I plan on taking two good friends of mine (mechanic & operator) to auctions and take my chances there. After all, most dealers aren't going to warranty a used machine anyway....they'll just be willing to sell parts & service. A good mechanic with a few hours inspection time can give you the yea or nay on a machine whether or not its in someone's backyard, at a dealer or at an auction. Just my .02

I have seen a lot of machines that are overpriced or just plain worn out. CL in my area has the same machines on it all the time. I have tried some used dealers, but they want too much $$$ and the machines are in no better shape. I am in the $10k - $15k range, preferably on the low end since this purchase will not produce any income (only private use). I will keep looking and eventually something will turn up. I will find something by spring or so, I just don't want to rush into anything and have a $9k lawn ornament!

warhawk

Hello all, I'm new on here and looking for a skidsteer for snowblowing,snowplowing,and constructon projects around my property in the summer. Interesting site,really appreciate all the info. thanks.

rezod1

We have a case 70xt 2005 model, use it for lots of projects commercial and home, great for moving things like firewood and brush around and filling in wash outs, grading the drive and taking out the trash. We even use the broom to sweep leaves and gravel out of the yard, sure beats a wrake like the neighbors use!!!!! It is a nice perk to owning iron...