• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who uses a skid steer only at home?

Parker22

My father did for years.... But that skid is about to be traded in or sold for a new skid that him and I will be buying together. I will use it away from home. I need my account activated so I can ask some questions!!!!!

Wondering between a Bobcat 185, 205, or a Deere 320D...

Anyone?

MarkinMass

I am going to the local BC dealer tomorrow as they have a 2001 863 that I might be interested in. This unit is an 2001 with 1,700 hours. My question is what is the difference between an 863G and an 863F? I think this is a G as it has triangualer lights. Dealer wants $12k, so if it checks out I might see what they will "let it go" for. I have only seen pictures so far and it looks real clean. dealer said it is in verg good condition with all service performed there.

Jeepwalker

I see a lot of guys using a skid steer to plow snow. There are places where it makes sense to use a SS, but for most driveway snow removal at rural places, a SS is a rotten way to clear the snow. Cold, loud, slow. Some of you guys may want to consider a used Jeep or Pick-up with a plow. You can quickly move a LOT of snow and do it in shirt sleeves listening to your favorite radio tunes. Quickly is the word because you need to go fast enough to get the snow rolling in front of the blade. After a big snow storm, it takes my neighbor litterally 2-3 hours to do his driveway in his BC. We both have about 400 yards of driveway. I can do mine in my truck in about 20 minutes, and that includes pushing away from the house and outbuildings. I've went and done 2-3 neighbors who also have long driveways and come back and he's still got a ways to go. One pass up, one pass back, then around the buildings, done. The truck can push the snow up pretty high up too. Takes my dad about half to 2/3 of a day in a big storm with his machine, but it's smaller though too. In the old days we used to use a JD 3010 tractor and large loader with a blade on back. No cab. It worked great for what we needed it for but was a miserable way to move snow. Snow would fill and stick in the bucket, a lot of spill-over on every pass, wind blowing through my ears, loud, use a lot of fuel, took forever, running levers all the time. Was fun at first, but got old fast when we'd get a lot of snow. One day my brother had enough and went and bought a plow for his truck. It was like a new miracle. I don't know if we ever used the tractor again after that. Over the years we made a few thousand bucks doing driveways with his truck. So, a Skid Steer will work ok, but if you're getting tired of the cold, a truck is a great way to do it.

Now, for commercial snow removal, there are applications where using a SS in certain areas like large commercial lots and sidewalks makes sense. Then there are those massive storms where the drifts are huge too and a SS is handy to have for that.

Last edited:

MarkinMass

Looks like I will purchase the 863 from the Bobcat dealer; they are going to replace the timing belt and adjust valves this week. Hopefully I will get it by weeks end. Right now there is a GP snow bucket on the machine, I would like a more HD bucket with teeth since I will be digging.
1st Question: the Bobcat dealer is wayyyyyy over priced for a new bucket and do not have any used. Does anyone have any suggestions to buy a new or used bucket? I have seen many places online, including ebay, Bradco, etc.. Are there any places better than others or places I should avoid? I don't want a thin, cheap POS that gets torn to shreads.
2nd Question: I see bolt on teeth, welded on teeth and tooth bars. I would like something that is built to last, so what is the best choice? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

k45

As I understand it, the cross piece on the tooth bar strengthens the bottom of the bucket so that would be an advantage if the bucket needs reinforcement. OTOH, I have had trouble with breaking off the outside teeth on my JD toothbar. I'm no expert but their design seems weak. The outside teeth, which probably have the most stress, have the least support.

Bolt on teeth are going to require mounting holes. If the bucket doesn't have them in the right spot, drilling could be a chore. Of course weld on teeth require welding so bolt on has that advantage although, depending on the design, you will have the bolt ends sticking out and perhaps holding onto material.

Also consider the cost. Bolt on tooth bars can cost almost as much as some buckets. IIRC, mine was over $700.

Ken

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The best deals I have ever found, have been at auction. Buckets have certainly gone up recently. I have been looking for a HD 80" extended lip bucket. It seems by the time I get it here its about $1500 +. My last bucket I bought at a RB auction was $500 even after the fees, its a JD (Bradco) 78" extended lip. If you can wait and be patient I would check the auctions around you. There are some buys on Iron Planet especially for you guys out East.

As for digging teeth, years ago I started buying Rezloh edges. Google them and see what you what you think. You can dig with them, still grade and back fill without changing out buckets. They last and they are segmented so when you do have to replace them you can replace the out side sections (which wear out first) and leave the center section in place.

LWG

I have a bolt-on cutting edge and a bolt-on tooth bar. I think the bucket is much better with the extra strength derived from the heavy steel of the edge or the bar. I have looked at the Rezloh edge, and it looks really nice. I'm pleased with the flexibility of the tooth bar for rocky soil and the cutting edge for grading.