• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who uses a skid steer only at home?

k45

I can't imagine chasing horses with a ss! :eek: Must be quite a sight, LOL.:Cowboy:Cowboy:Cowboy

4 wheelers, yes. SS, ROFL.

Ken

bob snyder

Occupation
contractor
The ones we get seem to be the ones that we find. Affordable, not too much to get going and simple is always a plus! Still trying to figure out that concept of snow!

:)here in SASKATCAWAN we are expecting snow anytime, CRAP:(But we have fun in it and no tropical storms .

luv2campnfloat

Home use

We originally bought our Bobcat S185 for use in our construction business, however it's so handy for use around our property it rarely leaves home! We use it for everything! Putting up treestands, pulling stuck or broken trucks and buggys out of the woods, we even use it like most people use a 'hand truck' - for heavy lifting/moving!

NH_Noob

Occupation
Firefighter/EMT-Intermediate
I use my skid steer at home and I definitely love it. Now if only I could figure out what's up with my RPM's and the dying the machine does! (Please see my post about my NH170 if you think you could help!)

rjm022

i also use my 226 cat skid steer for personal use- just bought it 3 months ago- my first machine! i have a very long gravel driveway and a few acres of land- it definitely has made my life easier,clearing snow, moving/spreading dirt and stone. love my machine!

gencntrctr

I use one of my skidsteers for home use. I live in the heart of lake effect snow country in NY with a 500' driveway.....it comes in handy!

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
howdy all,
I use my skidsteer for a little firewood at home during the summer & fall.
I stay inside and tinker on husqvarna in the winter.
augoak2008032.jpg

bumpinknots001.jpg

SHOPWOODSTOVE.jpg

:notworthy

DRMCO D600

Occupation
Chief Engineer, Teekay Shipping Australia
My Toyota skid steer.

This old machine is certainly no contractors machine, but great around the house. I have done all sorts of projects with it, many would not be endorsed by site safety reps. But with a little care and thought can be done safely.

Great forum by the way.:)

Attachments

• IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_2102.jpg
    IMG_2102.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 877

Thrills

Occupation
Nuke Operator
NH Triple Nickel!! A+

Hi, every one.

I posted a few months ago about my new 1990 New Holland 555 deluxe. I LOVE it! For an old, retired golf-course machine, it sure has a lot of life left.

Especially in northwest PA right now,... we have 30" of snow on the ground since last week, and it's still coming! I just use the bucket to plow with, cause I can lift, turn, and dump. Otherwise, I'd never get out of my driveway.

For a 20 year old dinosaur with almost 3900 hours on it, it is a BEAST!

This machine is only for around the house and barn,... personal work.

YouTube - Blizzard 09 SKID.AVI

Last edited:

Directional

Got a Cat 236b that i have for use around the acreage. Love it. Awesome machine. Not so big that it burns ridiculous amounts of fuel, but big enough to do anything that i want.

Z2898

Valve Lash?

First post so my apologises if I screw this up. Another thing to check would be valve lash. As valve wears into seat lash will decrease. A compression test would confirm this when engine quits. Hope this helps.

greaseballx

need help with heater blower motor r&r cannot figure out how to get the darn thing out bout ready to make some nice access holes boss won't be happy thought need help

Scavenger

Occupation
Maintenance Tech, Welder
Hi,

I am new here also. I have a 1992 Case 1845C with less than 2000 hours that we use around our property, and I use it for my part-time home based welding and fabricating shop. It sure comes in handy for positioning large, heavy, or awkward items I am welding or repairing. I made a set of forks that will rotate so I do not have to set something down, unfasten it, then reposition it. I have also made a tooth bar for the bucket, a grapple bucket, and several sets of adapter hoses that I use to power several pieces of hydraulic shop equipment that I made or purchased. By nature I am lazy, so for the life of me I can not imagine why it took me so long to get one. Even though it is handy for lifting heavy items, I am still going to find a small LP gas engine forklift. Sometimes it is a little scary on the Case when I have a really heavy item on the forks and I need to travel with the item raised. It is just a tad too tippy for my comfort zone.

du5tyl

I have a Cat 252b - use it only at home (40 acre spread) - leveling, loading\unloading hay, feeding stock, grading, excavation, building (as a crane and work platform) - general moving stuff around the property. Compared to my old tractor, the skid steer has many more uses.