• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

T-town

Occupation
retired !
It's not been a 'wet' fall @ my place.... but did have rain now and then... more so than summer.

We had a "big" weekend here... great weather and lots of folks....

'rasin' walls ;)KIMG0559.JPG

haulin trusses..
KIMG0557.JPG

the result.....
KIMG0563.JPG

we only completed the main center room.... opposing wings have a lower pitch and mostly common trusses so should be a bit easier...
I am exhausted though... but a "good tired"......
... do have to get the roof sheathing on asap starting that tomorrow.... and that reminds me.. to check the forecast

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Dug 200' of 2' deep ditch. Specification was 6" below, 6' above of fine sand. I went to the sand pit needing 14 yards of sand. After I had hauled 2 loads (12 yards) & loaded a third, I allowed myself some therapeutic activity on this spectacular afternoon. I dug out a 36" stump.

Digging stumps is against my principals. Pulling, or pushing whole trees is more my thing. Mostly, I push them down. Tree trunk serves as a big lever. It works very well.

Todays had been cut down 18" above ground. Staggeringly deep roots! I was all the way around a 7' diameter root ball with a 2' bucket, I'll say 15" diameter hole, 10' deep before this stump began to wiggle.

I had left my phone in the truck, I'll get pictures.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
We had a month long drought here in N. Fl. Got 3/4" a couple of days ago and 30% chance tomorrow.

I did get my little burn pile burnt today. Hoping for some cool, damp weather so I can take down a dead oak.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I'm hoping @Swetz and @T-town are getting the same dry weather we've got to work on your spots, particularly Swetz, since it sounds like he's always wet. We've been bone dry for weeks and weeks now.

I have been moving dirt for the pad of the shop every weekend lately. I am off this thursday and friday and hope to move more. I am hoping to have all the dirt in place prior to the deep freeze.

aighead

Holy crap t-town! Beautiful! I hope that big opening is lots of windows!

Willie it's amazing how big a hole becomes digging out the stumps, I agree with knocking them over, I've left all my "stumps" 8+ feet high at this point and will rock them out sometime.

Nh575, I've been wanting to burn some here too but it's been a long time since we've had any rain. They called for a storm over the weekend but that didn't happen (light drizzle for maybe half hour) and lots of wind.

Swetz that's good to hear, I was sad hearing about how wet it's been for you in the past, nice you are getting some stuff done.

Looks like weather here will be cool this week but warmish again (low 70s) next week. I'll take it.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
...saw some pics on the tele showing the historically low Mississippi.....

yup.... some nice glass..;)

Bote

Dug up a yellowjacket nest Sunday. Had all the glass open. They tore me up! I jumped down and ran like a ........well I ran faster and further than I had in a long time! The yellowjackets were swarming all over my backhoe, and in my hasty exit I had left it running. I made a "yellowjacket suit" with welding gloves, boots, a sandblasting hood and lots of duck tape. My wife watched from a safe distance as I walked into the swarm, closed the glass, and drove the backhoe out of the danger zone. I took some benedryl and ibuprofin, killed the yellowjackets that were in the cab and worked for a couple hours before calling it a day.

aighead

I've been busy this weekend leveling out the barn! Drainage is in, grade could use a bit more work but I'm getting a lot closer. Wahoo! I only bent up one of the door slides, not sure how I'll fix that yet but I buried it then I think I hooked onto it with a tooth.

20221022_153349.jpg

20221023_165510.jpg

aighead

You can see the bend in my picture, I tried readjusting the track with both the backhoe and prying on it with a shovel and a rock... It's about 1/3" maybe more lower than the first section of track. There's definitely a hitch but I can open and close the door.

The amount of gravel I'm going to need for the inside isn't ideal.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Might want a new thread.
I've coveted a toothless bucket forever.
I don't have a wrist, won't likely get one. Case 580 Super N, I can't find a 30" bucket. I think I'd prefer a 24", I'd dig with it sometimes.
Too wide seems wrong to dig. Narrowest I've found offered is 36" wide. I'm considering making my own. I'm not aware any one near me able to make the curve in the bottom of the bucket. I might make several flat pieces welded together to make a curve of sorts.
What do you think?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
NH575E-2.jpg
Might want a new thread.
I've coveted a toothless bucket forever.
I don't have a wrist, won't likely get one. Case 580 Super N, I can't find a 30" bucket. I think I'd prefer a 24", I'd dig with it sometimes.
Too wide seems wrong to dig. Narrowest I've found offered is 36" wide. I'm considering making my own. I'm not aware any one near me able to make the curve in the bottom of the bucket. I might make several flat pieces welded together to make a curve of sorts.
What do you think?

When I got my hoe it had a flat piece of 1/2" welded to the nubs. I cut it off, dressed the nubs, and installed tiger teeth for digging stumps.

Could you just make a removable flat bar to tack onto your teeth?

aighead

I really like the flat piece. Seems like that'd be very handy but I'm not smart enough to make it removeable if I added one.