• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

aighead

I'm not disagreeing with you NH but I don't know how much EPA issue there really is, it's mostly food waste. There are a fair amount of machine implements and the like also.

Unfortunately, it kind of seems like this is the way it goes for a lot of stuff around here, though the ratio of "bad" houses to good ones keeps decreasing for the better.

aighead

Haha! Yup! Looking at them and thinking of my pile... I think I may have just under half the quantity seen in that picture, and they are all buried in some weeds at this point.

Casey- do you have a good method for moving them into that nice arrangement? Brute force or do you have a thumb on something? I plan on using forks as possible, and likely straps and hoe bucket to get fine placement down. Maybe a spud bar, if needed.

aighead

Since this comment doesn't really belong anywhere and is kind of nonsense anyway... It seems as if you have a Case 580 your 'hoe is throwing belts! What are the chances of the top three posts asking about fan belt replacement on a 580? Weird.

upload_2022-11-2_7-18-35.png

casey518

Haha! Yup! Looking at them and thinking of my pile... I think I may have just under half the quantity seen in that picture, and they are all buried in some weeds at this point.

Casey- do you have a good method for moving them into that nice arrangement? Brute force or do you have a thumb on something? I plan on using forks as possible, and likely straps and hoe bucket to get fine placement down. Maybe a spud bar, if needed.
Yea I have the titan 36" thumb. The install is in the titan thumb thread. But yea just plopped then in there in the general orientation I wanted and then nudged them around with the bucket teeth. I backfield and compacted a bit behind the courses as I went. Might do one more course.

aighead

Right on, thanks. When pond building time comes I may have to finally look into a thumb. I'm sure it'd be handy for a lot of other stuff, but I'm broke!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician

Make a choker cable. Mine is made for logging & is probably heavier than you need.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
What do you pay$$ for a 'typical' 20-22 ton triaxle load your way??
I've never bought a triaxle load. My truck carries 14000 legally. Depending on stone variety, I pay $6.00 -9.00 per ton. My haul is about 5 miles one way. Average seems to be $65. per load' I haul.

casey518

I just paid 450 for the crusher mix. Cash that is. Otherwise it was a little more. I got a quote on a half load and was only slightly cheaper. So I got a whole.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I just paid 450 for the crusher mix. Cash that is. Otherwise it was a little more. I got a quote on a half load and was only slightly cheaper. So I got a whole.
Stone here is calcium carbonate. A few quarries have other stone. State paving projects specify harder stone. Therefore hard stone is extra expensive. Calcium Carbonate is soft, so I choose a larger stone size. For road, I choose 1-3/4" drainage stone. Water passes freely through it if used as a raised above the native soil road. No risk of potholes.

aighead

I don't remember exactly. Looking back through my notes it appears that I pay way more for gravel than a lot of you guys. Delivered and at the end of last year I got 66 tons of big gravel (#2) for about 20 bucks per ton, then for like a crushed limestone (#57) was about 25 bucks per ton. So, 100 tons was about 2500 bucks, delivered. I don't know how much I could bring that price down if I went and picked it up with my FIL's dump truck but I suspect it would be a lot of trips.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I had a Live Oak die on me this year. It had large brittle limbs falling out so I was concerned about getting under it with the cab. Neighbors had a tree service working next door with a lift bucket so I paid them to cut it down. They ended up not using the bucket and just cut and pushed it over.

Yesterday I dug out the stump. I have mentioned several time that I did without stowing my manual thumb.

Here is how I position to begin. This is a large stump and I did have to reposition the tractor a couple of times but I don't think that would have changed with the thumb stowed.

IMG_20221102_134037466_HDR.jpg
After I got it loose I had to roll it over in the hole and poke enough dirt out of the roots before I could pick it up. The tiger teeth work great for that and tearing roots.
IMG_20221102_143617650_HDR.jpg
This was as high as the hoe would lift it. It just barely cleared so I could drop it outside the hole. The boom lift capacity is 2440lbs at ground level and the dipper lift is 5890 lbs at 10 ft above.
IMG_20221102_143950809_HDR.jpg
I had to chain it in the bucket and crawl in first gear to haul to where I dumped it.
IMG_20221102_144817161_HDR.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I don't remember exactly. Looking back through my notes it appears that I pay way more for gravel than a lot of you guys. Delivered and at the end of last year I got 66 tons of big gravel (#2) for about 20 bucks per ton, then for like a crushed limestone (#57) was about 25 bucks per ton. So, 100 tons was about 2500 bucks, delivered. I don't know how much I could bring that price down if I went and picked it up with my FIL's dump truck but I suspect it would be a lot of trips.
I carry 7 tons, (5 yards) legally. That's about 1/3 what a triaxle dump truck can move. As it's 5 miles one way, I enjoy the convenience of going to get it myself in my truck. I sometimes feel I'd be better with a bigger truck.

aighead

Yeah, I don't know the capacity of FIL's truck. I'm pretty sure he'd let me use it but I'd have to do some math on how many trips it would take and the fuel involved and all that junk. If he'd just leave the truck at my house for a month or two maybe it'd solve the problem...