• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Hate how those things appear to be an afterthought to auto engineers ..... they should make them take things apart.... like dropping an oil pan.... before they graduate.

I just did some prettying up of a culvert during a wet morning...
KIMG0181.JPG

Glad to hear your making progress.....
boy... I sure could put those thumbs to use!!
Me and ivy never did get along... too many times in my youth. You'd think I would have figured out what it looked like.
.... and yes, 'frosty' is so good this time of year. I'm never far away from some "sweet a*s" tea.
Lol..... thinking of a civic going down I-80 with a couple rocks in the back..

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Hate how those things appear to be an afterthought to auto engineers ..... they should make them take things apart.... like dropping an oil pan.... before they graduate.

Agreed!

What gets me is that there are 1950s era vehicles around and you can bet their oil pans didn't rot out...anything to save a buck in making a vehicle!

I also changed my trans cooler lines because the engine has to be raised to get them out too. They were totally rotted out. On one, the crimp fitting on the rubber section disintegrated...total junk:mad:.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Not sure just what it says.... but I don't mind wrenching on this JD.... but I've grown tired of it when it comes to vehicles.....
I guess I had my fill over the years trying to keep mine and my kids vehicles road ready. And the dam tight spaces you have to work in...the old hands are showing the wear.
But.... when I think of the money I'd have to spend to get a shop to do it??...... makes me ill.

... and the idea of having to raise an engine to pull/replace a cooler line???? pitiful is all I can think of. I guess they thought they would outlive the vehicle.

aighead

Boy, both of those culverts look great! How much water do you guys get running through there? I have the creek across the back yard that had a culvert that looked like that for about a year but a lot has washed away on me...

Unfortunately, for this purpose, the size of that trunk above, would be sweet. I've got the 2 door Civic, with the smaller trunk, so it may be 2 rocks in the trunk and 2 in the backseat and one in the front seat!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Here is a pic of 2 of the 3 trans lines I replaced. The 3rd, I did about 2 weeks ago and tossed it. You can get a sense of how long the one is that required me to lift the engine, and remove the fuel lines that feed the engine. If this thing went straight back it wouldn't have been a problem, but that would be too easy, right:eek:
20210713_130635.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
How much water do you guys get running through there?

In the spring, it is rolling! Right now, not so much. My problem on my property is that I have a gently slope down hill. I am close to the top of the hill, but not quite there. So, in the spring, when we have the melt, I get bombed with water. The water actually comes up out of the ground. The previous owner never gave it a good path...I am slowly trying to fix that. The pic below is water coming out of the ground right by my house.
20210528_113657[1].jpg

T-town

Occupation
retired !
The old timers always picked land that HAD water coming out of the ground for sure...

I'm on a ridgetop ( secondary) below me is the low point and then across the way, my in laws house. Built on a spot where the original plot owners had their "farmette".
On that property are two springs.... on of which was used for those old time purposes... drinking water and milk storage,,,
The drilled well next to their house has water running out the top of the casing most springs..... they had to install drain tile to get the water downhill past the house.

My 'land rearrangement' has two drainage swales...two carry runoff under the driveway and the culverts are 18"...... the one in the pic is 12" and in a heavy downpour has less than 1/4 in it at any point I've seen it.
House I lived in in the Poconos ( Bartonsville) had a spring in the basement!! ...... wall stone laid for the foundation.... and the basement had a poured floor, under/ thru which the water drained out. It had a damed up open cistern covered with a sheet of tin, in the far corner, out of which it drew the water for the house.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The old timers always picked land that HAD water coming out of the ground for sure...

Trust me, I am thankful that water is plentiful. The opposite would really suck! My property is part of, what was, a large family farm. It had cows, and plenty of water for them including a stream that never dries out in the summer. My neighbor's house is what was the farm house. It has stacked stone as a foundation as well. I was amazed when I saw how they did it, but it makes sense...they had little money, but all the free rock they could move. His yard has a well that is about 20 feet deep that they prolly stored perishables in, in the summer.

We often don't give enough credit to those that came before us. They were very smart when it came to survival and getting by! Today, we panic if we loose power for an hour; they never had power:rolleyes:.

aighead

My culverts, again, failed yesterday. It looks like we got several inches of rain in a few hours and I wasn't paying attention but then I got my lazy butt up off the couch to find my creek overflowing again. This causes a few ponds in the backyard and the "bridge" I've got, to the back field, was essentially all under water. I've got 3 pipes running under the bridge and they apparently just don't come close to the capacity needed. I've also swiped dirt from in and around the creek creating a few deep spots where water will tend to sit, so that may or may not cause problems too...

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
aighead,

Looks like, once it dries up, you better get your trusty hoe out!!!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Unfortunately, for this purpose, the size of that trunk above, would be sweet. I've got the 2 door Civic, with the smaller trunk, so it may be 2 rocks in the trunk and 2 in the backseat and one in the front seat!

Aighead, I found the solution...come up and visit t-town and me, then we take a round-trip up north to BCW's place and get a couple of 5 gallon buckets full of pebbles. When you get them home, you will be the envy of the neighborhood when they see your rocks:D:D

"Each fall I take 5 gallons worth of small pea sized pebbles and scatter then across my lawn and fields. Then I come back in the spring and they've grown into full sized rocks for me to pick up."

I resemble that remark as I are an engineer. And it really frosts me to see idiotic designs such as needing to pull an engine to fix and oil pan. As my girlfriend got to know me and hear me cussing about bad designs she realized that "nothing has been designed right until I have redesigned it!"

I've worked with newly graduated "engineers" that had to be told the difference between philips and straight screwdrivers! So it is no wonder somethings are designed with so little regards for the actual application and user. Yes, engineering curriculums should have much more real world hands on emphasis on practical knowledge. All too often anymore there seem to be more and more educated stupid people. And they vote!!

Great hardscaping and wall work. You obviously have a good eye for envisioning the plan and great talent for executing it!

Like yours my property is on a sedimentary rock hill top and I'm amazed at how wet some areas can be/remain.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Thanks BCW... we wanted the view.... and with that comes the elevation and the proximity to the front slope/ driveway. Had the rocks !! ( sorry Aighead) just needed the fill and my time. It will be mostly planting beds when its ever done...

I've seen situations in the field ( electrical construction) where the engineer who designed the set up did not know it would be next to impossible to do "that way"... which the involves 3 or 4 more people and then a change order and some more time.
We have a big P & G paper product plant just down the road..... their new hires( graduates) spend quite a bit of time ( years) "working the lines" next to the non-college folks. But their stuff is so processed based, unique material handling, in house designs... some of which they can't tell you about.. ;)

And Swetz...... I love road trips!!