• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
@Willie B if was feasible I'd gladly trade about as much dirt as you need for some of your rocks. It's a shame that I'm pretty sure we'd be in the 5 digit dollar range just getting started on transportation...

@casey518 That's a nice one! From here that looks to be about the size of the biggest one I have that you can potentially see in my profile picture, across the pond. It may be quite a bit bigger but I can't determine the scale other than to say, yup, that's a big one!

I laughed pretty hard to think of strapping it to the roof!
Actually transportation cost is a few miles. I got topsoil, and sand. At home I have rock

scfinc

Occupation
Used Equipment Funding
I read the subject line on this and it truly made me laugh. Thanks I needed that this morning!:)

aighead

It's been slow backhoeing for me for the past few weeks, mostly due to saturated ground, but I got out a bit this weekend to unplant and replant a tree and rebuild (or recover) my bridge a bit. I found a rock! It's fairly satisfying (in my yard at least, I know others strongly disagree) to feel the thunk of something solid when digging. This time I was digging in what we call the Moon Pool, which is just a section of the creek right before the bridge, as I was pulling mud for bridge reconstruction, when I felt it. I went and poked around and got this one. Not huge but decent enough, certainly, to add to the collection!

20210724_115415.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
It's been slow backhoeing for me for the past few weeks, mostly due to saturated ground

OMG, I had all good intentions of working my hoe hard this summer....Not happening! Every week we get rain. I still have the springtime spring in my front yard. It stopped flowing for less than a week so far this summer. The culvert work I talked about in post 579 is getting a good test, and has eliminated part of my swamp problems. It just doesn't want to dry up long enough for me to finish my work.

So, what's my hoe doing....waiting, waiting for the ground to dry up...LOL

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I forgot to take a picture.
Mine is a weld positioner. I'm not fond of welding standing on my head, or laying under to weld. I have a 5 x 4 3/4 plate with stops one side to build generator tables. With forks it is a weld table I can conveniently raise or lower to work at a comfortable height.

These get buried 4' deep. I set a generator on it.

Attachments

• Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 34

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I saw that you were burying it but didn't understand... For snow reasons?
Yes. I live near the bottom of Otter Creek Valley. I'm on the west face of the Green Mountain Range. Typically, I have a foot of snow on the ground. Many of my customers are at higher elevations, and East of the Greens. Near all of our weather comes from the West. Storms, or water heavy air is pushed up as it blows over the mountains. At higher altitude it can't carry the water.
This one goes to a place 6' of snow isn't unusual. A couple feet of height usually prevents the generator from being smothered. If it can get started it'll melt snow away. The height also helps with rain splash.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Hmm... I'd learn that lesson the hard way! Thanks for the explanation!
It also rains there big. I learned that lesson today. 3:55 PM could have finished that stage. Two ground rods to go, one glue joint in PVC conduit. Jesuses swimming pool sprung a leak! About 2" of rain hit in an hour. We were wet anyway, tried to work in it, but when thunder followed lightning 1/4 second later, we quit.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
It also rains there big. I learned that lesson today. 3:55 PM could have finished that stage. Two ground rods to go, one glue joint in PVC conduit. Jesuses swimming pool sprung a leak! About 2" of rain hit in an hour. We were wet anyway, tried to work in it, but when thunder followed lightning 1/4 second later, we quit.

North East PA got the same storm...I was driving my truck home from Lowes. OMG, I could not go faster that 30MPH on the highway, and no one was pushing to pass me, as they usually are:eek:. In my case, it wasn't a pool, it was an outright river on the highway, and yes, the thunder & Lightning was intense!!

There goes my dirt work for another week:(.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
The local weather folks said 19 of the last 27 days have had measurable rain..... and yes that line of rain came thru my neck of the woods too. I feel for you Swetz..

I went up to the property this AM.... dumb me left some some tools sitting out for a few days and I needed to deal with that..:(..
..but when I got up there things were dry enough for me to get some work in....The soil down a foot is pretty dry.. The water must be running off before it gets a chance to seep in???.

emmett518

This is what took me from appreciating what one of these machines can do to spending more than I did on a new car for one. I still struggle when I think of spending 25k on a backhoe that gets used only occasionally but then I really, really like how easy it makes all kinds of jobs around the house and yard. Got a 100 foot tall tree that needs to come down and be cleaned up? Backhoe! An old stump getting in the way? Backhoe! Need to plow some snow? Backhoe! Want to make a giant pile of dirt somewhere? You guessed it, backhoe! Projects that I would have never started or considered are now possible, often times easy, and fun!

emmett518

This is what took me from appreciating what one of these machines can do to spending more than I did on a new car for one. I still struggle when I think of spending 25k on a backhoe that gets used only occasionally but then I really, really like how easy it makes all kinds of jobs around the house and yard. Got a 100 foot tall tree that needs to come down and be cleaned up? Backhoe! An old stump getting in the way? Backhoe! Need to plow some snow? Backhoe! Want to make a giant pile of dirt somewhere? You guessed it, backhoe! Projects that I would have never started or considered are now possible, often times easy, and fun!
I don’t use mine often, but LOVE my unit.