• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Like aighead, my world is deficient in an essential commodity. My home is rock only. I have a lawn because I removed thousands of monsters & millions of football sized rocks, then hauled in every morsel of organic containing dirt I could acquire. On two acres I have 1/3 acre of lush lawn.
In 1987 we bought from my father in law 16 acres 4 miles away. It has ledge covered with a thin layer of soil. Soil is sandy except for 2 acres with a 40' deep sand deposit. In this sand a cubic yard would yield a cubic foot of small stones.
I have moved hundreds of loads each way between these properties, but there is so much I can do. My latest plan is to excavate 200' of road bed at "The Land" 6' deep. I'll put drain at bottom wrapped in landscape cloth, then enough crushed stone to cover the pipe. The rest will be filled with rock 6" thru 18" from home. Then topped with 1-3/4" drainage stone to drive on.
The spoils dug out will be mixed with 50 cubic yards of compost to make top soil & enlarge the lawn. As project time is limited to time others aren't making demands on my time, I may not live that long.

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Wow Willie.... thats a lot of work to get some dirt! I'm now more thankful

Tell you what, Aighead comes east and we load up a trunkfull of Pa's finest ..... then head up to Vermont..dump the load, pick a bag of your baby rocks... then head back west to BCW's for a bag of his.... south to Pa for some trunk sized... leaving room for some iced beverages 'on the rocks'.....
sound like a plan??

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Wow Willie.... thats a lot of work to get some dirt! I'm now more thankful

Tell you what, Aighead comes east and we load up a trunkfull of Pa's finest ..... then head up to Vermont..dump the load, pick a bag of your baby rocks... then head back west to BCW's for a bag of his.... south to Pa for some trunk sized... leaving room for some iced beverages 'on the rocks'.....
sound like a plan??

I like that plan...count me in. I will take care of the beverages that are on the rocks;)

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Well my hoe has been sitting while I do little tractor work. Pulled a finish mower for 5 hours on Monday and spent 6 hours yesterday grappling piles of vines and running the brush mower. Today I had to go to town and pick up a new washer and dryer so spent the afternoon swapping those out. Maybe tomorrow I can get back to the property cleanup.

That mess you see behind the tractor is what happens when you drag your ass about cleaning up after a clear cut. I had that property clear cut in 2016. I figured I would have it in grass by 2018. LOL.

grapple-hog.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Today I had to go to town and pick up a new washer and dryer so spent the afternoon swapping those out.

I guess you were lucky to find them in stock! Round here, not to easy, unless you don't mind varying brands and quality.

I have been bush hogging round here trying to reclaim the grass from the woods.

I just love that grapple bucket on your tractor!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I guess you were lucky to find them in stock! Round here, not to easy, unless you don't mind varying brands and quality.

I have been bush hogging round here trying to reclaim the grass from the woods.

I just love that grapple bucket on your tractor!

We went to Badcock furniture of all places. Whilst I was shopping I looked at the specifications at Home Depot and it stood out that they have a no return policy on appliances. That and not knowing if they had the units in stock in the warehouse was a double deal killer for me.

Badcock said they allowed a 10 day return and had the units in their warehouse. New GE washer and dryer with bells and whistles and they even beat HD's price. Ordered on Saturday and picked up at the store on Wednesday.

I have enjoyed the grapple. It's an MTL brand RK5 model. They are built in Georgia. I paid $1200 for it delivered and it showed up in my driveway 3 days later. That was in January 2019. Not sure how they are coping with supply shortages now.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
Good to hear that a local guy is able to provide you with the washer/dryer! Did not know about home depo's no return policy, but I too bought my last washer/dryer from the local guy.

I went to the MTL site and looked at the grapple. I liked all but the powder coat paint. To me, no matter how well an item is prepped, the powder coat paint will eventually start to peel. Especially at the sharp corners. BTW, they are sold out...LOL what is new.

Supposed to take delivery of a chipper that I ordered several months ago...they were unavailable too:(:(. I also ordered a set of blades for my 3 point finish mower 2 months ago. They did not come in so I called the dealer. He called the manufacturer. They said end of September...guess I don't need new blades for this season:(:(

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
casey518,

We are going to need after pics of that rock!!

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Swetz,
I buy my mower blades and parts off eBay. eBay frowns on listings that are out of stock and if a dealer gets too many they will close their account.

I have a 6' Agmate and discovered the 71" Caroni blades will fit it. Got a set shipped last September for less than Agri Supply listed them. They are a tad longer but I was able to clearance the shield underneath with a hammer so they worked. Got a super clean cut and they still look like the day I put them on.

Look at this guys store for finish mower parts.

https://www.ebay.com/str/brooksagparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
NH575E,
Thanks for the ebay link. His prices look good, and his feedback is awesome! I honestly had no idea that these blades were going to be backordered or I would have gone elsewhere. Messicks has them in stock.

I think I purchased an odd ball size mower (Woods RDC54). I do not see aftermarket ones listed, but do see them for the same series that are larger.

When I get the new ones, I plan to swap them out and sharpen the old ones...going forward, I should have a spare set so I can just zap the old ones off and put the new (re-sharpened) ones back on.

The ones currently on the mower are working but when I let the grass get a little long, they are not cutting cleanly. I am not stranded, just wanted a nice new set for the summer...looks like I will have a new set for next summer now :rolleyes:

aighead

@Willie B if was feasible I'd gladly trade about as much dirt as you need for some of your rocks. It's a shame that I'm pretty sure we'd be in the 5 digit dollar range just getting started on transportation...

@casey518 That's a nice one! From here that looks to be about the size of the biggest one I have that you can potentially see in my profile picture, across the pond. It may be quite a bit bigger but I can't determine the scale other than to say, yup, that's a big one!

I laughed pretty hard to think of strapping it to the roof!