• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The weekend project ran into this morning. Mrs. B has time off school being out, so pressure is brought to get her set up to work. I got her outfitted with a loader etc. and set about loading the truck for the new project we start today.
Mrs B. started shouting. Quigley:

Had found a way to squeeze under the deck, crawled to the tightest corner where there was no space & was trapped. She cried in terror, then eventually went silent. We imagined all sorts of things including she choked to death.
Out came the Sawzall & new deck got a hole. The dog is fine.Q.jpg

aighead

Oh no! Boo to chopping up the new deck!

My neighbor just bought the fanciest a-frame dog house I've ever seen. It is built on a pretty beefy pallet and I watch one of his dogs climb under there all the time. I, initially, made the assumption it was stuck until somehow it popped right back out.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The weekend project ran into this morning. Mrs. B has time off school being out, so pressure is brought to get her set up to work. I got her outfitted with a loader etc. and set about loading the truck for the new project we start today.
Mrs B. started shouting. Quigley:

Had found a way to squeeze under the deck, crawled to the tightest corner where there was no space & was trapped. She cried in terror, then eventually went silent. We imagined all sorts of things including she choked to death.
Out came the Sawzall & new deck got a hole. The dog is fine.View attachment 241049
She is saved.Trapped.JPG

casey518

oil change in the front axle and hubs this past weekend. This is a bit of the oil i drained out. Yikes. one of the hub seals leaks too.

Attachments

• 20210622_175343.jpg
    20210622_175343.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 31

Bote

Dug a 100' ditch over the weekend. Rescued a tri-axle dump truck from the mud yesterday. He was delivering 25 tons of 5" minus to stabilize an area of soft muck and got a little too close. The 100' ditch should keep water from the area in the future.

Tubroos

After 18 months, a lot of repairs and a lot of $$$ (but still within my estimated budget, more by luck than planning I think...) my cheap 580C is no longer as cheap as it was (but that was part of the plan - I have plenty of time to put into it, which means I can do the repairs myself very affordably) but is finally earning its keep on the farm...

Grading the car park, moving trees, sorting out drainage, removing stumps, and carrying heavy stuff around. And doing it all without pouring oil everywhere from every part of the machine!

Fixed a lot of cylinders, replaced a fair few hoses, rebuilt the starter (starts almost instantly now - nice), tightened up the worst of the worn pins and bushings...

Outstanding work includes overhauling the shuttle (it's great in reverse - not so much forwards) and doing something (!) about the brakes, but other than that it's working well. Plenty of power and a lot of fun... No idea how I managed all these years without it.

And I couldn't have done it without all the expert advice gleaned from this forum over the years... Thank you very much to everyone... There's so much for info on here if you search for it. I've not had to ask any questions - they've all been already answered in great detail.

Thanks a lot, guys...

Looking forward to fixing the rest of the machine up!

IMG_20210628_160214.jpg IMG_20210625_113840.jpg IMG_20210625_072356.jpg

Tubroos

Sometimes a little too much! Like yesterday... The farm was full of police for most of the day because the village shop had been robbed by armed bandits, and the bandits were hiding in the bush just behind my place... Their getaway motorcycle broke down and so they had to make their escape on foot... Caught two of the four, I'm told. Way too much excitement too close to home!

But ordinarily it's a beautiful place to live...

So rewarding having the machine working now... It's been an adventure... Wish I'd taken more photos of some of the fun!

aighead

@Shimmy1 How big is that pond and how big is the hoe you are using (or what's the reach)? I've got a small pond in the front yard, it's about 100' x 50' or so and I'd like to dig it deeper, to 15' or so. I can't do it with my backhoe unless I could pump it dry for, likely, months, so I'll be looking to rent an excavator for a day or two to do the major depth digging and ideally some better side grading. I have no idea what size hoe to be looking for. I'll probably need to stay on the dry edges and be able to reach out 25-30 feet and down to depth. Is that possible?

My hoe was over at the neighbors filling a drainage ditch. They also had family over that got a kick out of operating the hoe for a bit. It's fun to show people how everything works, and they were both older than me so they listened and had good control to go slow when I told them to, but it's also infuriating to see it go that slow, when I'd rather be beer deep in a beer at home. Luckily, they both only ran it for about 20 minutes each, then left me to it.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
If beer intrigues you, stay completely away from cider. Cider (store bought) is not cider.
Juice from apples gets fortified with sugar. Every successful cidermaker stunts yeast, then introduces a proven yeast. Timing, fussiness, most important; cleanliness will produce a substance that'll make you forget beer.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
If beer intrigues you, stay completely away from cider. Cider (store bought) is not cider.
Juice from apples gets fortified with sugar. Every successful cidermaker stunts yeast, then introduces a proven yeast. Timing, fussiness, most important; cleanliness will produce a substance that'll make you forget beer.
Love me some Dicken Cider ;)

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
When I was in Ireland a couple of years ago, Cider is what everyone was drinking in the pubs. I was shocked...to me it was Kilian's or Guinness. Fact, they sell more bud light in Ireland than either of those "Irish" beers.
Anyhow, it is not just cider. It is cider with berries in it, and it is very good. I tried, but could not find this brand in the USA. I have had others, but this was better.
20190626_081519.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I see purchased cider alcohol ranges from 5% BV to 8%. It is always sweet with carbonization.
My home made has always fortified with sugar of some variety. Typically, I average 12%. Mine is dry & still, more of a dry white wine than fruit soda.

Shimmy1

@Shimmy1 How big is that pond and how big is the hoe you are using (or what's the reach)? I've got a small pond in the front yard, it's about 100' x 50' or so and I'd like to dig it deeper

This was a new pond. It ended up about 60 x 120. I'm using a Cat 323 long reach. 55' of reach and a 3/4 yd bucket. It can move some dirt....more than I thought it would do in a day.