• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's wrong with people?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
After rolling my 2005 suv into a ditch last month [friggin deer].. I had to bring the old Bronco out of retirement..95'
The boss caught me at lunch looking at "craigslist".. today.. just looking at tools for sale..
He made the comment, "you looking for a used car?? lol.. oh wait, you already drive 1.."
My answer?? "NOPE, LOOKING FOR A JOB, SO I CAN BUY A NEW CAR" ..
He didn't think that was funny and left the room..
Don't think I'm gonna stay there much longer.. 25 years is long enough..

Cam85

Thanks scrub I've been around Surat but the boss tells me I'm of to around injune some where to build some lease pads buy day and push gravel by night about 5 weeks work I'm told wants me to go as the outher young blokes don't wanna camp out.
Also apparently they crack up about the hours and like to tamper with the dog I wouldn't feed the sooks they forget our boss has carried us through a quiet patch.

Hey fix thank for the kind words mate I'm 29.if sound old school that is because my grandfather is responsible for my education at the time I thought he was an ironic old hard ass.
However in hindsight he taught me well and stood me in good stead to take on the world and I cannot thank him enough.
As for the weed vs grog I don't know that's a tough one if had to choose between a **** head or the bloke that has a j and goes to bed I'd take the smoker but ther is the flip side of the coin if I had to choose between a reefer head off his chops all the time or the bloke that has 3 beers every night I would take the drinker as u said moderation is the trick.
Now as for an interview I'm my mind nothing is off limits if the bloke is going 2 hire me he need to know wat he is getting I believe in truth and transperency no mater the subject personal or otherwise but it goes both wayes I believe a boss is not a boss but a team member without him I am useless but without me he is useless but together we can get somewhere.
I won't work 4 people but I'm more than happy 2 work with them
But that's just me!

Last edited:

Dualie

The most talented employee i ever had i hired just after a breakup with his long time girlfriend, was living in a motel, driving a 20 year old ford ranger 4cyl, 4spd with a cracked windshield and power nothing, no radio, barely heat. He had Had a Limp and long hair, with the energy of a 8 year old.

He could do more in 4 hours than most men could do in 12 let alone 8. Made me money day in day out like clockwork, stuck by that unreliable truck for years put 450K on about once ever 4 months it would strand him somewhere and he would bust out the little tool kit he kept in the tool box and rig it back together and get to work.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I don't judge people by what they drive. In fact I respect someone who drives an old vehicle. But if you add all of the things up I mentioned..wife driving him for interview, wife filling out his application, old beat up vehicle...imy assessment of him will be spot on more often than wrong.

Cam85

Sorry mate the only thing I could pick on was the littering but I wasn't there and I was only trying to offer a different way of looking at people.
Sometimes when u drive a desk 4 to long it can b easy to forget how things happen in the field and sometimes bosses need reminding that clients n field men are a different breed that's all.
I can c what u r saying I really can was only trying to offer the flip side of the coin.

Last edited:

Dualie

also best truck driver i ever knew couldnt read the driving test but could wheel the hell out of a rig.

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
Seems like every poster to this thread has had issues good and bad with various individuals. I believe the single most important point is that the person has to have the skills and ability to perform the job you want done. If you are into chemicals and hazardous waste, surely you can't have a person who can't read or is dyslectic perform the work. There are other types of work you learn on the job and become skilled. If the person does not have to meet the public, long hair, tats or attire don't have much to do with what the person can produce.

Take a moment to evaluate what you would in this situation. Man comes in to fill out an application for a heavy equipment mechanic position. He's clean cut, has on normal work clothes and boots. He starts to fill out the application and soon asks the secretary for a continuation sheet to list work history. After an hour plus he is still filling out the application and is on his fourth continuation sheet. I step out and ask to see what he is noting on the continuation sheet. I look them over and ask him just to list the types of work he has performed and start off with your education and technical schools attended.

Here's what he listed;

Dropped out of school 11th grade
Attended trade school for electronics and electrical systems
Class on hazardous waste handling
Class on hydraulic systems

Type of work performed
Lathe, mill and welding in fab shop
Aircraft sheet metal mechanic
Public works, sewer system, lift pumps and garage
Final and flight operations on aircraft (avionics & flight controls)
Mechanic, heavy equipment
Licensed as a General Contractor
Licensed as Environmental Assessor
Senior Construction Project Manager
Proficient in AutoCAD (mechanical, civil, architectural)
Plant Engineer
College instructor (Civil Engineering)
Farming (35 acres)

After a quick review, I asked if he had graduated from a college or university. He said "no, I read a lot, test well and I am very good with computers".

Here's the situation, he's 70 yrs old, said he has no ailments and rarely has to see a doctor. Would you hire him as a heavy equipment mechanic?

AlldayRJ

Does he seem fit enough to jump up and down a huge truck tire?
I dont know the size of your operation but if you have a young gun who can learn from him and do the heavy lifting, pull the breaker bars etc he is probably a diagnostic genius. And to me thats a more important skill. Figuring out the issue is normally the biggest problem.

lantraxco

Seems like every poster to this thread has had issues good and bad with various individuals. I believe the single most important point is that the person has to have the skills and ability to perform the job you want done. If you are into chemicals and hazardous waste, surely you can't have a person who can't read or is dyslectic perform the work. There are other types of work you learn on the job and become skilled. If the person does not have to meet the public, long hair, tats or attire don't have much to do with what the person can produce.

Take a moment to evaluate what you would in this situation. Man comes in to fill out an application for a heavy equipment mechanic position. He's clean cut, has on normal work clothes and boots. He starts to fill out the application and soon asks the secretary for a continuation sheet to list work history. After an hour plus he is still filling out the application and is on his fourth continuation sheet. I step out and ask to see what he is noting on the continuation sheet. I look them over and ask him just to list the types of work he has performed and start off with your education and technical schools attended.

Here's what he listed;

Dropped out of school 11th grade
Attended trade school for electronics and electrical systems
Class on hazardous waste handling
Class on hydraulic systems

Type of work performed
Lathe, mill and welding in fab shop
Aircraft sheet metal mechanic
Public works, sewer system, lift pumps and garage
Final and flight operations on aircraft (avionics & flight controls)
Mechanic, heavy equipment
Licensed as a General Contractor
Licensed as Environmental Assessor
Senior Construction Project Manager
Proficient in AutoCAD (mechanical, civil, architectural)
Plant Engineer
College instructor (Civil Engineering)
Farming (35 acres)

After a quick review, I asked if he had graduated from a college or university. He said "no, I read a lot, test well and I am very good with computers".

Here's the situation, he's 70 yrs old, said he has no ailments and rarely has to see a doctor. Would you hire him as a heavy equipment mechanic?

In a heartbeat, after verifying former work and a couple references....

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
I'll take two..... ps think the question would be "Would you let him leave ".... Really ?

Care for some coffee Sir? Would you like a doughnut ?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My question is has he ever kept a job for five years or more? My thoughts are why would a 70 year old want to work on iron. Is he out of money, looking for a state industrial claim, age discrimination, can he lift seventy pounds three times a day, can a doctor certify his health? The last thing anyone would want is an injury to someones' grandfather.

His wealth is in his head so what can he offer as a consultant, trainer, planner or shop supervisor? Then I would do what is possible to check out his story before going any farther.

Randy88

I have a question, since there is never just one applicant for a job, what did the resume's look like from every one of the other's who applied for the same job?

Then how badly do you need him, what is it your wanting him to do for you and fix [service truck mechanic, shop mechanic, shop foreman, supervisor]

Next question, why does he want to work for you pulling wrenches at his age and with his potential list of qualifications at much higher paying, cleaner jobs requiring less physical requirements?

How long do plan on having him around before you need to look for his replacement??

By the time he gets into the swing of the job, gets proficient in what you want him to do on your systems, is he going to quit and move on or retire for good?

How are his people skills and why is no longer doing any of the jobs he's done in the past?

What do his prior employers have to say about him, and why is he no longer working for them?

After some of these are answered maybe I'll have an answer for you if I'd hire him, what you offered is just the start of the interview process and what I'd use to narrow down the possible prospects for employment. I doubt my insurance company would even consider allowing it at his age, he'd have to have a valid cdl, clean driving record and pass drug testing and a full blown physical.................as for the other applicants??

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
Found out a little more about the candidate.

He thought he wanted to retire so he did, two years ago. Says it driving him crazy (possibly the wife) and just wants to be productive again. He's drawing SS and has other investment income so he's not doing it for the money.

The references check out, was a last position 7 years and prior was 6 years. Wouldn't expect him to be bucking tires although he seems very fit and the hand shake is firm. He's quick to respond to questions and knows his stuff. He is very knowledgeable on current electronic engine controls and electro-hydraulic systems.

I agree that he would be much more useful in troubleshooting and let the younger guys fix the problem. He also seems to be the "old school mechanic", not the remove and replace type tech. He said he prefers to fix the item rather than to wait for a replacement part.

Paul

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Found out a little more about the candidate.

He thought he wanted to retire so he did, two years ago. Says it driving him crazy (possibly the wife) and just wants to be productive again. He's drawing SS and has other investment income so he's not doing it for the money.

The references check out, was a last position 7 years and prior was 6 years. Wouldn't expect him to be bucking tires although he seems very fit and the hand shake is firm. He's quick to respond to questions and knows his stuff. He is very knowledgeable on current electronic engine controls and electro-hydraulic systems.

I agree that he would be much more useful in troubleshooting and let the younger guys fix the problem. He also seems to be the "old school mechanic", not the remove and replace type tech. He said he prefers to fix the item rather than to wait for a replacement part.

Paul
I think you just found yourself your new hands-on training officer.............

JDOFMEMI

Sounds like a great guy to hire. Especially if he is willing to work with someone and share his knowledge.

And, if you don't want him, send him my way. :D

Delmer

Aside from tires, being older and weaker isn't as big a deal as it used to be. You really don't want anybody picking up a heavy component anyway, even if they don't get hurt, do you really want somebody risking damaging a seal or nicking something important?

The only other factor I can think is whether he wants to work in the field, I know I'd love to still be working at that age but I won't be working outside in bad weather if I don't feel like it. Same with crawling under dirty equipment, maybe once in a while but it would get old doing it every day.

For the youngsters on here, 50 some years ago dropping out of high school (or never entering HS) was much more common, and did not prevent somebody from getting a decent job.