• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's wrong with people?

Impact

Occupation
Owner
Sitting in my office today, and I heard a guy come in, and got an application from my Secretary. After he left, I walked to the front window to see what he looks like. We have tinted windows and he can't see in, but, we can see out.

First thing I notice is he's not driving, his wife or girlfriend drove him here. What's that tell ya? DUI.

Second thing I notice is the front windshield is cracked bad. And the car is a hoopty.

Third thing I notice, his girlfriend opens the door and dumps a soft drink out, right in front of my door.

Fourth thing I notice, she flips a cigarette out on the concrete.

Fifth thing I notice, his girlfriend is filling the application out.

Sixth thing I notice, he's about to go to sleep, and is picking his nose.

What do ya'll think? hire him and train him to run heavy equipment?

redneckchevy9

Occupation
Draftsman/Boom Truck Driver
I say find the most expensive piece of equip. you got, give him the keys & say "knock yourself out". Although - 1. Could be DUI, but there are sometimes when my wife drives if we are running errands. 2. I have drove a couple trucks that weren't great pieces of machinery, but they were paid for & I didn't have a lot of cash - but they should get the windshield fixed. 3. Thats rude 4. Thats gonna be against the law in IL. pretty soon. 5. No excuse for the guy 6. We all pick our noses right? we just hope he didn't eat his boogers.

I see where as an employer hiring a potential employee, where some red flags might enter your thoughts.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
And as he was pulling off I noticed:

The car had no hubcaps

His/her car puked oil over my new concrete parking lot.

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I say find the most expensive piece of equip. you got, give him the keys & say "knock yourself out". Although - 1. Could be DUI, but there are sometimes when my wife drives if we are running errands. 2. I have drove a couple trucks that weren't great pieces of machinery, but they were paid for & I didn't have a lot of cash - but they should get the windshield fixed. 3. Thats rude 4. Thats gonna be against the law in IL. pretty soon. 5. No excuse for the guy 6. We all pick our noses right? we just hope he didn't eat his boogers.

I see where as an employer hiring a potential employee, where some red flags might enter your thoughts.

Thing is...That was supposedly his GOOD behavior.

06Pete

He don't really want a job he was just going through the motions to satisify his wife or girlfriend. Can't fix stupid!

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hi Impact, Mabe you should have gave the girl the job, sound like she is wearing the pants, You should have went out and told them to take there trash with them.
sam.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
sounds like you got your self a good ol full bloodied red------n-e-c-k we will let you keep him cause we got enough here. and they wonder why we love working Mexicans .

Colorado Digger

He may be on parole or something as has to look for a job. Otherwise, he could be doing it to document for his unemployment. I don't know what is going on with people either. We don't even take application's here at our office because of that. We give you our website and the application is there. If you can't fill it out online then we are not interested anyway. I can't stand people that leave their trash around and don't care. Just like I don't like cigarette butts and beer caps/can's laying about in my yard. My guy's are great but other people come down and pitch their trash wherever. Same as the people that want to store stuff in my yard for free, they fill my dumpster up when they come down as well. No common respect and loss of values in the United States has caused much of this. I have Mexicans and they are clean, keep their trucks clean and never miss work and are not lazy.

Regards, CD

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
I had to say that I don't want any more Mex--at my place, We hired a roofer to install a new roof, then the showed up it was mexicans, every think looked ok, untill
i saw a bucket of crap..sh.. in the pool.. Then it started to rain, the wife had all the pots and pans in the living room, that was it for me. I ended up fixing the roof
myself, and installing a new liner in the pool. Also they left another pile of crap at another house, they worked hard at screwing things up, NO NO more for me.
sam.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
While I would be less then impressed he might be a good hand. One of our best labors is a real POS. Worse then the guy you just posted about. The guy bust his butt though and is doing things right now most won't.

My wife has done most of my applications. I don't have very good hand writing and things on the computer... Well she types 45+ words a min.

dbl612

Occupation
crane operator
your no rookie, first impressions and your gut instinct are usually correct. too bad you had to waste a piece of paper and printer ink on that person.

Randy88

I was once told to never hire anyone that didn't already have a job, I'd also venture a guess you might not have been the only one to have a similar impression of them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've found it don't much matter the nationality. Seen Latinos in the woods leave a hazardous waste cleanup site. Seen whites that couldn't frame a door or a window in three times the time it took a couple of illegals to do it for a third the money. Seen retail houses and apartments that were close to having to be lit on fire to clean up the mess for both.

Mr. Impact, I think your risk assessment is spot on.

Delmer

I was once told to never hire anyone that didn't already have a job

Good policy if you can afford it, kinda like never renting to anybody who doesn't have a steady rental history already-nobrainer.

I was talking to an acquaintance who has quit about a dozen jobs in the last few years. Quit the latest job, then takes his nephew out to celebrate the nephew's 21st birthday, says there was a scuffle at the bar so they left, then got jumped by a bunch of big guys so he threw them off and then they chased him around the squad car. To make matters worse, the skinny kid that says he got hit ID's him as the guy who did it. My friend swears if he had hit the guy there WOULD have been a mark, and I believe him after the number of tools I've seen this guy break.

It gets better because he says he'll be OK because he'll get onto disablility any day now, I'm thinking maybe you should get the dashcam of you throwing the cops around?

No resolution to the charges yet, but he does have a new job in heavy equipment, hope he get's huber...

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Impact, you might have saved yourself ABUNCH of trouble..
Try to follow THIS STORY..
I know of a company that HAD an ACE mechanic.. AND I MEAN ACE.. This dude could fix ANYTHING, gas or diesel.. when he wasn't smoking crack..
Got the company service truck impounded TWICE in "crack stings" while out on service calls.. tools, parts and all.. and they kept him!!
Lost his DR. License in 1 court case and they kept him.. now mind you he WAS a road mechanic.. so they had to assign him a "driver"..
IF a driver wasn't available, they would send him in a CAB!!
He once had to go to training school ON A BUS !!! and called back for more money BEFORE HE GOT THERE!!! spent it all on "party favors"
He or should I say.. The coke machine at work kept getting "broken into".. bills and change removed.. companys solution?? A MEMO>> to whom it may concern.. PLEASE stop breaking into the soda machine.. WTF???
OH it gets BETTER.. one nite just before closeing.. a customer walks in w/$3500.00 cash to get his equipment.. counter guy wants to go home so he doesn't put it in the safe, just leaves it in the locked cash drawer.. 3 people at the front counter see this.. guess who was 1 of them? that nite the front gate was cut, the front door was crowbarred and the cash box was the ONLY THING MISSING!! ripped right off under the counter. The guy didn't show up for work for days..{bender** The company NEVER fired him.. He finally died from a drug OD.
Your damn right.. WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Impact, you might have saved yourself ABUNCH of trouble..
Try to follow THIS STORY..
I know of a company that HAD an ACE mechanic.. AND I MEAN ACE.. This dude could fix ANYTHING, gas or diesel.. when he wasn't smoking crack..
Got the company service truck impounded TWICE in "crack stings" while out on service calls.. tools, parts and all.. and they kept him!!
Lost his DR. License in 1 court case and they kept him.. now mind you he WAS a road mechanic.. so they had to assign him a "driver"..
IF a driver wasn't available, they would send him in a CAB!!
He once had to go to training school ON A BUS !!! and called back for more money BEFORE HE GOT THERE!!! spent it all on "party favors"
He or should I say.. The coke machine at work kept getting "broken into".. bills and change removed.. companys solution?? A MEMO>> to whom it may concern.. PLEASE stop breaking into the soda machine.. WTF???
OH it gets BETTER.. one nite just before closeing.. a customer walks in w/$3500.00 cash to get his equipment.. counter guy wants to go home so he doesn't put it in the safe, just leaves it in the locked cash drawer.. 3 people at the front counter see this.. guess who was 1 of them? that nite the front gate was cut, the front door was crowbarred and the cash box was the ONLY THING MISSING!! ripped right off under the counter. The guy didn't show up for work for days..{bender** The company NEVER fired him.. He finally died from a drug OD.
Your damn right.. WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??

So you are saying that the company is responsible for this guys' untimely demise? I think it sounds like a classic case of "Attractive Nuisance". Like if someone climbs the fence and gets into my pool and drowns it's obviously my fault for having put the pool there!

Impact

Occupation
Owner
I think he was sharing how unbelievable anyone would continue to employ such an idiot.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
If they don't pass the "look test" with me, I do not waste an application, another second or thought on them... Basically speaking if they look like a bum, they probably are or if they are too lazy to at least look and act decent trying to get a job, I do not need them.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I think he was sharing how unbelievable anyone would continue to employ such an idiot.

Yes my poorly made point.

I'm reminded of a story about a outfit near here that had a diver who could be depended on to always get his deliveries on time but the boss knew he could never pass a DOT drug test so they had another driver sub for him when it came time to pee in the bottle. Not sure if this guy is still out on the road running his 18 wheeler. Scary to think what some people will do in the name of saving some money.

I was told a story about a trucking firm not far fro