• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's wrong with people?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
When I had hired help if they wanted to take application with them to have someone else fill it out it told me they could not read. Never had place for illiterate around here.

FSERVICE

When I had hired help if they wanted to take application with them to have someone else fill it out it told me they could not read. Never had place for illiterate around here.

its not as common as it used to be, but I still know of several guys that cant read street signs/directions & travel & deliver goods across this country!! its sad that in this day & time that there are still people like you that don't want to help out guys like this. I will tell this, I remember probably 35 years ago now a guy that would bring letters to the house for my mom to read to him, I thought then that I would do a lot better in school & do my best to keep anyone else from ever having to go thru not being able to read. I even donate time to read to kids in my daughters preschool in the mornings. that left a impression on me that I hope none of my kids ever have to see, but there are still kids that graduate high school that cant read at a grade school level!!! :soapbox

mitch504

I know several smart as a whip fellows who are dyslexic, they can read, in the same way I can load a dump truck with a shovel. It's much more practical for me to get a loader, and it's much more practical for them to get a wife to fill out forms. I know two very good mechanics, a logging contractor who owns a multi-million dollar co. w/ 25 or 30 employees, and, believe it or not, an electronics technician.

Mitch

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I personally know, a "colored blind" HVAC guy.. he has a helper..
You ever looked at the WAD of wires under the cover of an A/C unit?? WOW!!

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I was once told to never hire anyone that didn't already have a job,

If the economy is not busy, contractors lay off people or even go out of business. Then those people are unemployed. How is an unemployed person supposed to get a job if no one will ever hire them? That being said though, there was NO excuse for that guy to throw his trash out on the original poster's property-I hate people like that.

Randy88

Buckethead, as for not hiring anyone without a job, just because he can't find a job in his profession, doesn't mean he can't find a job, the one who's far over qualified to do a simple job is still the one I'd hire over one holding out for the ideal job, means to me can get off his butt and do what needs doing no matter what it is, those that feel they are too qualified to do menial work really don't want to work in my opinion. I've seen plenty of college professors, computer geeks and even laid off CEO's bagging groceries while hunting their "next" job, rather than sit on their butt's till the ideal job comes along.

I've even seen a few resumes that had, gas station attendant, walmart checkout, milking cows, baling hay, lawn mowing, bicycle repair technician, night watchman, janitor, and even saw one time, babysitting for a day care while "he" was between jobs, and yes I know my business was used as a place of employment being the ditch monkey while they were finding their next job they were qualified for. To me rather than sit on their butts drawing unemployment it shows work ethic and a certain quality to any person who'll work below their qualifications, all those that came to me looking for work who were in fact overqualified told me it looked better on their resume to have ran equipment and shoved in ditches rather than draw unemployment for up to two or three years while hunting and going to interviews, those were also hired on the criteria they didn't have to give two weeks notice to me, if they got hired they started their next job right away no hard feelings.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
its not as common as it used to be, but I still know of several guys that cant read street signs/directions & travel & deliver goods across this country!! its sad that in this day & time that there are still people like you that don't want to help out guys like this. I will tell this, I remember probably 35 years ago now a guy that would bring letters to the house for my mom to read to him, I thought then that I would do a lot better in school & do my best to keep anyone else from ever having to go thru not being able to read. I even donate time to read to kids in my daughters preschool in the mornings. that left a impression on me that I hope none of my kids ever have to see, but there are still kids that graduate high school that cant read at a grade school level!!! :soapbox

If they can't read an instruction manual or a job print, read a list of deliveries to be made when given to them in the morning, fill out a time sheet or a delivery ticket so that it can be read what am I supposed to do? Send someone along to do it for them?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Buckethead, as for not hiring anyone without a job, just because he can't find a job in his profession, doesn't mean he can't find a job, the one who's far over qualified to do a simple job is still the one I'd hire over one holding out for the ideal job, means to me can get off his butt and do what needs doing no matter what it is, those that feel they are too qualified to do menial work really don't want to work in my opinion. I've seen plenty of college professors, computer geeks and even laid off CEO's bagging groceries while hunting their "next" job, rather than sit on their butt's till the ideal job comes along.

I've even seen a few resumes that had, gas station attendant, walmart checkout, milking cows, baling hay, lawn mowing, bicycle repair technician, night watchman, janitor, and even saw one time, babysitting for a day care while "he" was between jobs, and yes I know my business was used as a place of employment being the ditch monkey while they were finding their next job they were qualified for. To me rather than sit on their butts drawing unemployment it shows work ethic and a certain quality to any person who'll work below their qualifications, all those that came to me looking for work who were in fact overqualified told me it looked better on their resume to have ran equipment and shoved in ditches rather than draw unemployment for up to two or three years while hunting and going to interviews, those were also hired on the criteria they didn't have to give two weeks notice to me, if they got hired they started their next job right away no hard feelings.

That's pretty decent of you to hire "overqualified" people. Around here, if you apply for a low paying job, and tell them your work experience is being an operator, truck driver, or construction laborer, they tell you that you "made too much money to work here".

HATCHEQUIP

Had a fellow come in awhile back and was thinking about giving him a shot until I saw his mouth then told him he would have to pass a drug test never seen him again.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Had a fellow come in awhile back and was thinking about giving him a shot until I saw his mouth then told him he would have to pass a drug test never seen him again.

I recall a few years back our boss was interviewing a guy and was almost ready to hire him when the drug test part came up. Guy said "Can you give me a week or so? By then I should be good to pass.":pointhead

Not sure why he didn't get the job!:rolleyes:

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
My SIL worked drove for a company that required a drug test for any accident. One driver slid in a ditch on icy roads. He called it in. When a supervisor showed up at the truck the driver was gone and they never saw him again.

We have 2 guys in the local area who lost their jobs through no fault of their own. One, good guy and a worker, applied for a got a years leave of absents from his job as a linguist for the state so he could build his family a house. He did in fact build the house only getting help with things like setting the roof trusses. Year was up, the state figured that they didn't really need someone in that position and eliminated his position. Sense then he has been self employed and now has another regular job.

The other guy is a POS. He was a programmer. His job moved to India, 10 years ago. Sense then he was a stay at home dad and when the kids left a house hubby. He stopped by the other day to whine. I don't have any idea why he thinks I care or even thinks I like him. His wife told him get a job or get out. She could care less if it's a minimum wage job or better as long as he gets a job. She's tired of supporting him. He says he won't go back to work unless it's as a programmer for at least the 80K a year when his job went away. I told him I knew of an entry level IT job he could apply for that starts at 15 an hour with good bennies. Nope, it's not programing. So with him setting here I called my son who is a network engineer. My son told him if you haven't worked in the field in the last 2 years your programming degree is worthless. And he too tells him that the company he works for is looking for IT people. Not interested. So I tell him of all the local nowhere jobs that are open plus a few farm jobs. Nope ain't programing. I finally got fed up and told him well I hope you can afford a divorce lawyer cause you are going to need one. I thought the sorry POS was going to cry. Then he ask me (semi retired small time start up farmer) well don't you need some part time help? I told him nope and if I did he'd be the last person I'd call. Then I told him to man up. When he left I told him don't come back.

Rick

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I find that a simple pre-employment drug test weeds out a lot of the trash.

Old Doug

I work in a shop that had a guy that didnt have a drivers licence or a road worthy car so he mist alot of days so they made a deal with him if he worked 40 hours he would get a extra $100.00. I didnt ever take a vacation,stayed late if need, worked every saturday that they needed me,brought tools for home and some times used my own 4x4 pickup when the weather was bad to do my job. After 4 years there i became the forman but i never made more than that guy. I heared about a job that was about 15 miniutes from a house that i had just bought. At the time i was driveing 3+ hours to work so i applied and went for a interview. It was for a Mechanic in the lawn mower part of a equipment dealer. We talked for around a hour i had bought parts from their before and worked for a guy that had 3 Dozers that he had bought brand new from them. It was going good until he saw that i was working as a welder. He said we cant pay you what you are geting now and i said i dont care i will not be driveing 3hours. I went to great lenghts to tell him i would be happy with what they could pay me.He told me before i left that it was between me and some one else but that guy lived further away and didnt have a licence. I didnt get the job.

Cam85

Fist of all I agree with most of what has been said but I would say don't judge a book by its cover.
I'll use myself as an example I did my licence in once the judge took it of me for 5 years so my partner had to drive me around.
I 2 pick my nose.
The crack in the windscreen might have only happened in the last couple of days.( I don't know wat a hoopti is ) if its a pice of crap car we have all had at least 1 of those.
The poor guy might b doing it a bit tough did u think of that.
As for having a snooze for all u know he might b packing shelves at night time trying to keep food on the table.
Hell at 1 point in time i had 3 jobs and an old bom car a had been through a real hard patch my clothes were old n grease stained I was un shaven tired all the time from over work n stress a woolie mop 4 a hair cut the list goes on
I can hardly spell my grammar skills r poor and so on but What does any of that have to do with wat I can do in a machine.

I don't mean to brag but I can honestly say that I can shift dirt and not hurt the machine
I can trim 2 within 25 mill or an inch with a d8 over 200 yards square.
My machines are over greased n clean oil air n fuel are a must in my brain u could eat off the floor in any machine I drive at any time I alwase try n swing my hours to the bosses favour and ill do almost anything without griping.
The list goes on like I said don't b so hasty 2 judge a book by its cover.

Will the computer literate high school graduate without a mechanical bone in his body driving the new car his mommy n daddy bought him b any good to you will he work away will he live in a swag beside the machine will he b there an hour early 2 get the first load of water out b4 everyone else gets there free of charge.
Will he use some of his own tools in exchange 4 a bit of diesel
Will he swing past the shed and give u a hand 2 pop the head on that old d7 just 4 the experience in his own time at night.
I rather dought it.
Will he b happy 2 drive an open cab pice of crap just to have a decent job or for the experience.

Really I got say wats wrong with society.

In my case I won't fill out an application I believe if the boss won't take 5 minutes to talk 2 me on the phone and a further 15 minutes to have a chat face to face than he is probably not worth working for in order 2 find good n capable men u have 2 hand pick no iffs no butts that's the cold hard truth mate office girls n 5 page resumays n an impressive stack of paper will only get u bull artists n wimps that r no good to u anyway most or the time.

That's my 2 cence worth anyway.

Last edited:

oarwhat

I've got to agree with both sides you never know and your first instincts are correct. I hired three snowplow operators, my first impression was one was great, one was good but a hot shot .The other seemed a bit off , drives Yugo with plastic on the window and doesn't have a home phone. (this is way before anyone did this). Well the great one sucked left after 4 storms , The hot shot was a hot shot lasted for many years . The Yugo guy was the best, I put him in the oldest Oshkosh and he loved it. Never missed, never complained he plowed until unfortunately he passed away at like 45.
Another time a driver was highly recommended to me by a friend. I knew him somewhat always a nervous guy. He shows up and I'm like this guy's on crack. Call my buddy he says no way. I did some more calling and thank God one of his latest employers gave me the real scoop. Yep he's a crackhead. The biggest junkyard/ used truck sales place hires him. They find out in no time he's a crackhead, borrowing $20 from anybody and disappearing all day long. Do they fire him? NOPE The multimillionaire owner won't pay unemployment. He worked there for years stealing and driving everyone there nuts.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The Yugo guy was the best, I put him in the oldest Oshkosh and he loved it. Never missed, never complained he plowed until unfortunately he passed away at like 45.

I'd bet some wonder about me, I know my wife does:rolleyes: I Live in Central NY and ride a ratty old Yamaha with a sidecar to work year round. Then I've only worked at this job a short time, frist day here was June of 1968! Took a few months off the first couple years to get some community college time in but when I was offered a job in the shop pulling wrenches decided that looked better.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Great insight cam how old are you?
Drinking vs smoking weed which would you hire?
Obviously all things in moderation. ....
some of the best wrenches I know smoke weed
good mechinics are very hard to find
when I used to look for work and got handed a application
I'd would "leave my number" take the application. "I'll fill it out later" (only after I got hired) or if )
one guy asked me if I do drugs.... Mabel he thought I did. At an interview
I didn't want to work there very much or for him
Why No I do not do drugs ( felt insults) I Irish, I Drink

fixou812

Occupation
Ksh tell you lovely wife I said you probably have more style in your pinky than most people have in their whole body!

fixou812

Occupation
im not a bit a scared of work....I'll lay right down next to it!

Me at an interview lol
hello oar 80 degrees here of course im indoors
And you are so right.... dont judge a book by its cover