• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Attachments Do You Use?

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
A rockhound collects rock using a "belt", much like a paddle type scraper and tosses them into a hopper. A harley is a power box rake, meaning it's like a box scraper, but it has a spinning drum with carbide teeth that pulverizes the dirt and brings rock to the surface and collects them in the box until the end of the pass.

CGSI

cat320 said:
I have a question what is the difference between the rockhound and the harly rake? why would you get one over the other or do they both do the dame basic job?

I know this was asked but but if you where todo for hire services what would be a good first attachement for the machine?

The rock hound basically picks up the rocks on the site and does light soild preperation compared to the Harley rake which will totaly prepare the seed bed and remove the rocks to the end of the run in a pile

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've found that you lose too much top soil with the styles that actually collect the stones. I prefer the Harley rake, it does a better job of grading too. With the proper touch on the boom controls, you can skim off the rocks and leave virtually all the soil behind.

jmac

I agree with you on the harley rake I like that alot better. Grades and takes rocks out at the same time. The rock hound just pulls rocks no finish grading. The harley will smooth and dimple the dirt for seed and level all imperfections. Better to have if you are going to have one or the other.

cat320

Charter Member
well that's good to know i always thought the rock hound would be the best so now another stupid question the rockhound you backdrag no tire marks but it does not really prep the dirt the harly rake goes forward preps the dirt but leaves tire marks in it's wake so the mahine cna't do it all unless you switch to the hound ?? I was just trying to figure out if it could be down to a one guy operation if you have alot to do could the machine do it all? when it comes to lawn prep.

What about old grass does that harly rake kinda roto till it or do you still have to scrape and remove them aplly new soil?

CGSI

cat320 said:
well that's good to know i always thought the rock hound would be the best so now another stupid question the rockhound you backdrag no tire marks but it does not really prep the dirt the harly rake goes forward preps the dirt but leaves tire marks in it's wake so the mahine cna't do it all unless you switch to the hound ?? I was just trying to figure out if it could be down to a one guy operation if you have alot to do could the machine do it all? when it comes to lawn prep.

What about old grass does that harly rake kinda roto till it or do you still have to scrape and remove them aplly new soil?

After you rake and level you back yp with a harley rake with the rake rotating forward to install the dimples. While doing so it will remove the tire tracks. Tes, it will turn the vast majority of existing grass into the soil. Hope this helps

CascadeScaper

Occupation
We actually hand rake the tire marks out. You can lower the boom arms all the way down, roll back the rake so nothing touches the ground, then slight roll out the tilt cylinders and set the drum on the ground. This way, the tires on the Harley never touch. Set the drum spinning forward and back up. The only problem with this is that it's prone to gouging, you have to watch it alot more. We've found that hand raking the tire marks is the way to go if we seed.

jmac

Boy you guys are picking. tire marks are gone as soon as you mulch or first rain. I have raked them out but try not to if I am seeding and mulching that day. On another note how many of you use a straw mulcher to apply hay. I had one catch fire this year in the back of my truck and burned it to the ground. It was a rented machine and not checked out before I got it. Used it for about 1o min and gas line leaked a caught hay on fire in mulcher. My insurance is going after Argi-Metal in Canada and rental company for damages. Total loss, truck, tools, tool box, ladder rack, plow frame, transfer tank, pump, truck was 03' Lariet with 35k miles on it. I bought it new. Had to go out next day and buy another truck.

View attachment 1337

Last edited:

CascadeScaper

Occupation
We don't use straw or mulch, but we rarely seed. On large jobs, seeding is the only way, but nowadays hydro seeding is becoming more economical than conventional seeding with straw/mulch.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I've started using PennMulch instead of straw most of the time. I can spread it with the broadcast seeder and the bags are easier to handle than bales of straw. The customer doesn't get a crop of wheat and weeds growing along with the grass and I can usually sell any extra cost on "environmental" grounds since it's made from recycled newspaper.
I don't worry about tire marks either.

jmac

Wow, you guys have no comment about my poor truck up in flames!! Hell with the hay how about my truck.

sunray

I have a T-190 wide track enclosed cab. forks, stump grinder, tiller,dirt bucket with teeth, industrial grapple bucket, brush cat, trencher. They all get used ,but I have rented root grapples and harley rakes.

sunray

Thanks, it is a 2005 T-190 wide track with the gold package and I love it! I have 170 hours on it and it's great, I just cleared a lot yesterday with pines and oaks from 8 foot to 20 foot nothing stopped it.I rented a 83 inch root grapple from the local dealer and it really did the job.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
jmac said:
Wow, you guys have no comment about my poor truck up in flames!! Hell with the hay how about my truck.

Jmac...everybody is being polite...they thought it was funny as hell see (jk).:rolleyes: Sorry about that.:eek:

Personally I saw it on another forum thats why I didn't reply.

I only just realised I haven't posted on this thread:

CAT248B

66" GP
66" 4 in 1
72" Trash Rake with double side cutting edge and chisel teeth
Pallet forks
Block lifting jib frame and extension bar.

jmac

Squizzy, that is my truck, no fooling around, happened in April. What forum did you see it on?
John

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
jmac said:
Squizzy, that is my truck, no fooling around, happened in April. What forum did you see it on?
John

John, that was on that crass cuttin forum wasn't it...I thought it was before April so it may have been somebody else's. Hell of a way to get into a new truck though. Mate of mine recently rolled his dump truck and only had it insured for what he paid for the rolling chassis, not all the dump body hoist, chipper plating etc. The insurance company wrote it off, paid him the 32K and he can't find a decent one like it for less than 55K.

Jeff D.

jmac said:
Wow, you guys have no comment about my poor hay up in flames!! Hell with the truck how about my hay.

That does suck!! Sorry too hear about your hay, Jmac.:bouncegri

jmac

Jeff, nice :bouncegri
Squizzy it was the first time in my life the truck was worth more than I owed before I got rid of it. I didn't need a new pick up. Would of been nice if the old GMC dump truck went instead of pick up. The auto insurance paid for the truck and any stuff bolted to the truck. My excavating insurance found a way to wiggle out of paying me for the tools I lost. The agent I bought insurance from failed to inform me that I needed a $30.00 a year rider for tools away from shop on a job. Pissed me of and had to go over all the policy's I have. Looking for new agent. The auto insurance is going after the rental yard and Agri-metal for the money they paid me. Still cost me extra 6k to get back to normal. New truck with deisel, instead of v10 gas. Get about 14 MPG instead of 9 MPG. Could of burnt customers house down or killed myself so the cup is half full! Customer got new siding out the disaster and that still happened even after I jumped back in the truck in flames and moved it into the middle of the yard away from house. Mulcher was running for about 10 minutes and bam ball of flames. Fire made it to the transfer tank on my truck and that was all she wrote.

Jeff D.

I am sorry to hear about your truck, Jmac. I've not had anything happen like that yet, but I know how insurance co's can be, so...........

I thought I'd read about every post in the forum, but I never saw that post until Sunray posted.:beatsme

Also, welcome Sunray!!:thumbsup