1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What Attachments Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Compact Equipment Attachments' started by Steve Frazier, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I thought it might be interesting to see what attachments everyone runs, and discover which are most popular.

I've got a Cat 248 skid steer and use the following:

4 way bucket
    Pallet forks
    Jib Boom
    Bradco Backhoe
    Harley Power Rake
    Erskine High Flow Snowblower

Wish list:

Trencher
    Hydraulic Hammer
    Auger
    6 way Dozer Blade

2. Taylortractornu

Taylortractornu Charter Member

Privvate landfill operator/manager
    I have 2 older Ford back hoes. One is bare for now, its not been attacked yet. On my 3550 Ford hoe I have a thumb I built myself which I cant live without. A set of home built bucket forks I made. Also a manbasket that will attach to the bucket like my forks. Also a short jib boom for the same fork hooks.

Im planning on building or buying an auger for the hoe, If I cant find one for my machine ill build a 4 in 1 bucket for the front. i also want to build a Laydown box for laying asphaults with my dump truck. I have to build alot of things for my equipment since no current attachents are made for my machinery and to make sure my i use my machinist schooling lol.

3. dozerman

dozerman Charter Member

Owner operator excavation
    My carrier is an EC-55 excavator, the attachment of choice is the Promac brush cutter http://www.demining.bc.ca/brushcutter.htm. Using this machine it will cut/grind up to 5"diameter trees. It will often lead to other jobs. My other favorite is a BTI rock hammer. We have a lot of that around here. The hammer is harder on the carrier, but fun to run.
    ....Brad

Attached Files:

4. mert0714

mert0714 Charter Member

We have a powersledge (universal impact technologies) for breaking concrete. A Yukon jack bucket for loading out the bigger pieces and prying. Set of forks (rarely used), an adjustable tooth scarfier, a 7' bucket for snow, and (not sure of the brand) an 8'-6" fixed snow plow. It is 28" high and you can put down force on it like a bucket to really cut off the stuck on stuff. The blade trips like a pickup blade but it weighs like 1500#. I call it the man's snow blade.

5. mpalums

mpalums Charter Member

teacher / home builder
    compatible attatchments?

Will cat skid loaders accept attatchments from other brands?

6. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

Most manufacturers use the industry standard mounting system now, so most attachments are interchangeable between brands. I've run into cases where there are different hydraulic fittings used, I know Case is different than Cat, New holland is the same as Cat.

Attachments that require special bracketry or wiring, such as my backhoe and snowblower, aren't readily interchangeable, but if the proper bracket or harness for another machine is aquired, they are.

Not a simple answer, but most non-powered attachments can be swapped, while those requiring hydraulic power will bear some investigation. Another item to consider is whether the machine will meet the hydraulic requirements of the attachment you're looking at.

7. mpalums

mpalums Charter Member

teacher / home builder
    Cat or Bobcat ???

We are just getting ready to purchase a skid steer and I'm looking for information on the pro''s and con's of these two brands. Obviously you can't put a lot stock in the sales guy pitch because they want you to buy thier brand. It looks like several guys on this site have experience with both and I would appreciate any information that may help my decision.
    My Dad has operated a Cat 416 forever and he swears there is nothing better so we are probably leaning in that direction however any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

8. mert0714

mert0714 Charter Member

We are updating also from Mustang. We are going with the Cat (262) because of a lot of different reasons just to fit our needs. I have heard from many that pilot controls will be the thing of the future. It will take a bit to get used to but it is nice. 3 yr warrant is good thing but probably won't need it anyway. I never have investigated Bobcat but have not heard anything but good about Cat from several current users.

As far as your earlier post on attachments, the only thing I have to add to Steve's is that our dealer we are working with said that if you needed to rent an attachment with the added electrical lead, they can fit the machine temporarily with the needed equipment and don't need to have it permanately. Volume of flow and psi requirements are the only other things to watch closely. May need a pressure reducer in some cases other wise mount-ups should be the same.

9. Blademan

Blademan Charter Member

Operating Engineer
    Mert0714 ,

have a buddy that broke both the arms on his Cat246 . It was just out of warranty , but the local Cat dealer was really good with him , and bumped him up to a 262 for a really good deal . hate to say it , but I've seen quite a bit of new machinery in the last couple of years go down , and warranties are a God send as replacing or repairing costs can quickly spiral out of this world . And as for pilot controls , LOVE them . Faster and way more precise/control . And when tolerances are VERY thin , it makes a world of difference .

Rob

10. mert0714

mert0714 Charter Member

Glad to hear that the dealer helped out on that deal. What in world caused that to happen? I have heard of stress cracks in early experimental models but broke? Run into something to hard or too much weight? Where did it break?

I know the warranty is a good thing, but the company essentually is betting that their equipment is good enough to stand through the period with no probs. Sure can help with sleep at night.:)

11. mpalums

mpalums Charter Member

teacher / home builder
    Cat Skid Steer Warranty?

What is the standard warranty duration for Cat skid steers? Does it work like auto warranties where it is still in effect even if you buy used?

12. paulsoccodato

paulsoccodato Charter Member

contractor
    for my ls170 skid, i have

66" low profile bucket
    72" low profile bucket
    66" dirt & foundry bucket w/ teeth
    pallet forks
    bradco 609 backoe w/ thumb
    loegering tracks

next year i hope to accuire a harley rake for it.

for my ec-55 excavator, i only have a 2' gp bucket, with a 40" grading bucket on order.

i also hope to buy a hammer for it next year.

13. riggler

riggler New Member

self employed contractor
    hi guys, steve here . at the moment i have a 2 scat tracks a 1500 high flow, and a 1750 high flow. current list of attachments include: a 66" and a 73" 4 in one buckets
    66 " light material bucket
    73" foundry bucket
    73" dirt bucket
    73" bolt on tooth bar
    8` fisher snow plow (custom built it moves 6 ways)
    kent demo hammer
    2000 8' power angle harley rake
    2003 66" rockhound power rake
    2 sets pallet forks 42" and 48" tines
    Mc millen 3650 high flow auger
    42",36", 30",24" 16", 10" pengo bits
    major 73 " sweeper with curb brush and water tank
    mc millen .5 yrd. concrete bucket
    loegering over the tire tracks
    custom built "pigs prick" rigging boom

14. cat320

cat320 Charter Member

A question for skidsteer attachments. When you figure a job with a machine and most of the job is with a bucket what do you or how do you charge for the attachement like say a stump grinder? If the grinder cost $200 a day do you charge the extra $200 or add more on or even double the daily charge?

15. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I price my attachments according to their value. My backhoe cost $13,000 so I have to recoup some of that in the rental price. I send my machine out with bucket and forks at standard rate, anything else raises the rate.

My snowblower was a substantial investment and can only be used 3 months of the year, so there's a premium attached to it too.

16. 2004F550

2004F550 Charter Member

Operator/Student
    Mustang 2040 w/ enclosed cab

-60" dirt bucket
    -Pallet Forks
    -66" Grapple Bucket
    -78" Fisher snow plow
    -66" snow bucket
    -60" Rock Hound landscape rake
    -72" Sweepster Broom
    -Tree scoop

Wish for....
    - Snowblower
    - And a mini excavator

17. puredieselpower

puredieselpower Well-Known Member

I build Pole Buildings
    t-180 bobcat

I use my
    74" bucket
    pole claw
    auger 18" bit
    pallet forks
    and my custom boom

wish list
    How to decide there are so many attachments like to have them all

on edit: have to say my favorite is the pole claw can grab up to a
    45' and rotate it i use it to set my 8x8 on pole sheds.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  18. CascadeScaper

CascadeScaper Senior Member

2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
    Cat 216

-60" Cat combo bucket
    -Forks
    -Harley M6 Rake
    -Cat T9B trencher

Cat 277B

-Skid Steer Solutions 85" extreme duty root grapple
    -78" Cat combo bucket

19. CGSI

CGSI Active Member

NH LX565
    66" GP Bucket
    72" HD Bucket
    72" Extreme Duty Grapple
    M6H Harley Rake
    10' Snow Pusher
    Tracks
    Still want a backhoe and a few other toys

20. cat320

cat320 Charter Member

I have a question what is the difference between the rockhound and the harly rake? why would you get one over the other or do they both do the dame basic job?

I know this was asked but but if you where todo for hire services what would be a good first attachement for the machine?