• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Titan weld on thumb install.

Tinkerer

My new thumb was broken the first time I used it Saturday. :mad: I didn't abuse it , just moving cut up logs to a burning pile. I never run the backhoe with the engine throttle above idle speed. It has adequate hydraulic power at that speed to do about anything I want it to do. Which includes raising and swinging a full bucket of dirt at the same time.
The photos will show a weakness in the mounting plate. I repaired it and eliminated any future problems with a piece of 1/2 inch wall 1 inch ID pipe that I purchased online.
The first image shows the elongated pin hole on the RH side and the broken one with a piece missing on the LH side.
Image 2 is the repair. I painted it yellow to make it easier to see.
Image 3 is the heavy wall pipe I used to strengthen the mount.
I replaced the soft and distorted pin that the thumb mfr. supplied with a 1 inch x 8 inch grade 8 bolt.
Hoprfully my sad experince wil help someone else that has the same problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1.JPG
    IMG_1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG2.JPG
    IMG2.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG3.JPG
    IMG3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 136

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
My new thumb was broken the first time I used it Saturday. :mad: I didn't abuse it , just moving cut up logs to a burning pile. I never run the backhoe with the engine throttle above idle speed. It has adequate hydraulic power at that speed to do about anything I want it to do. Which includes raising and swinging a full bucket of dirt at the same time.
The photos will show a weakness in the mounting plate. I repaired it and eliminated any future problems with a piece of 1/2 inch wall 1 inch ID pipe that I purchased online.
The first image shows the elongated pin hole on the RH side and the broken one with a piece missing on the LH side.
Image 2 is the repair. I painted it yellow to make it easier to see.
Image 3 is the heavy wall pipe I used to strengthen the mount.
I replaced the soft and distorted pin that the thumb mfr. supplied with a 1 inch x 8 inch grade 8 bolt.
Hoprfully my sad experince wil help someone else that has the same problem.

that sucks man Mines holding up great on the 580c I used it the other night feeding a fire

joe--h

I'm looking at pic # 2 and seeing a mount bracket that looks to be much thinner than what I have. Mine is the same thickness as the thumb, yours looks like its half that thickness?

You might send a picture to Titan & see what they think.

Joe H

showrguy

I'm looking at pic # 2 and seeing a mount bracket that looks to be much thinner than what I have. Mine is the same thickness as the thumb, yours looks like its half that thickness?

Joe H
I just got one delivered about a week ago..
The weld on bracket is 3/8, the toothed thumb is 5/8..
Damm, that thing is heavy..

Tinkerer

Joe H
The mounting bracket welded to the backhoe boom is a measly 5/16 thick plate.
That is totally inadequate when you consider the small amount of steel on the outer diameter of the eye for that bottom pin.
Just think about how much pressure is generated not only by the hydraulic force, but the additional pressure of a log 24" x 10 feet long all of it pushing against that area.
It may have enough strength for a Case 580 size T/L/B but certainly not a 680 .

showrguy ; Who is the manufacturer of your thumb ? I am curious if it the same as mine.

showrguy

The mounting bracket welded to the backhoe boom is a measly 5/16 thick plate.
That is totally inadequate when you consider the small amount of steel on the outer diameter of the eye for that bottom pin.
Just think about how much pressure is generated not only by the hydraulic force, but the additional pressure of a log 24" x 10 feet long all of it pushing against that area.
It may have enough strength for a Case 580 size T/L/B but certainly not a 680 .

showrguy ; Who is the manufacturer of your thumb ? I am curious if it the same as mine.
I got mine from Titan directly..

joe--h

I got it from Titan also. Made in China, no marking at all on it.
And you're right, the bracket is about 3/8". Had a look at it yesterday and I was wrong. First time ever.
Joe H

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
the bracket on mine is pretty thick thicker then 5/16s at least

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Tinkerer which model/size did you buy?

Mine is also holding up great. Was pulling small stumps out with it today and thinking what a great tool it has been. Dug and picked up several larger stumps but the small ones I clamped onto and pulled with the thumb and bucket.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
My pet peeve is the pin latching system. I have lost all the pin clips. I'm actually running large nails inserted and bent around the pin to reduce the chance of snagging. Not handy at all when wanting to change the position of the thumb. The pins are so short you can't even install a bolt with locknut...…. :(

Tinkerer

It is a 32 inch. I followed the measuring instructions that are on the internet in regards to fitment.
It is not too small for the bucket I use with it.
You can see the grade 8 bolt in the new bushing I installed

tum.png

showrguy

It is a 32 inch. I followed the measuring instructions that are on the internet in regards to fitment.
It is not too small for the bucket I use with it.
You can see the grade 8 bolt in the new bushing I installed

View attachment 182746
Where did you find instructions for fitment ??
I looked everywhere to no avail, figured we could figure it out with a little common sense ..

Tinkerer

Where did you find instructions for fitment ??
I looked everywhere to no avail, figured we could figure it out with a little common sense ..

A Google search for "how to measure a backhoe for a thumb" will bring up a few websites that have pictures and instructions.
But, when I was looking on ebay for a thumb, there is a brand named Linville listed along with Titan.
Any of Linville's listings will have a picture and instructions about measuring for the correct size.
It is quite simple. Position the front of the bucket at a 90 degree angle to the dipper. Measure from the inside face of the dipper to the end of the bucket teeth. That is the size thumb you need.
I wasn't exactly at 90 degrees in the image I posted. I had just finished welding the new reinforcing bushing in and it was hotter than h** outside. That is why the connecting link is not mounted when I snapped that photo.

Last edited:

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My pet peeve is the pin latching system. I have lost all the pin clips. I'm actually running large nails inserted and bent around the pin to reduce the chance of snagging. Not handy at all when wanting to change the position of the thumb. The pins are so short you can't even install a bolt with locknut...…. :(

I replaced the supplied hitch pins with cotter pins except the one I remove to stow it. I drilled the hole in that one to the next size hitch pin and haven't lost one since.

showrguy

A Google search for "how to measure a backhoe for a thumb" will bring up a few websites that have pictures and instructions.
But, when I was looking on ebay for a thumb, there is a brand named Linville listed along with Titan.
Any of Linville's listings will have a picture and instructions about measuring for the correct size.
It is quite simple. Position the front of the bucket at a 90 degree angle to the dipper. Measure from the inside face of the dipper to the end of the bucket teeth. That is the size thumb you need.
I wasn't exactly at 90 degrees in the image I posted. I had just finished welding the new reinforcing bushing in and it was hotter than h** outside. That is why the connecting link is not mounted when I snapped that photo.
Oh, I already have the 36" thumb, I was smart enough to figure out what size I needed..
My quest is for the position of the weld on bracket location info...

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Oh, I already have the 36" thumb, I was smart enough to figure out what size I needed..
My quest is for the position of the weld on bracket location info...
That was my reason for starting and updating this thread. The method and position I used on my 36" has worked perfectly for me.

Tinkerer

I'm reviving this old thread because I had another design flaw rear its ugly head a couple of weeks ago. Maybe someone will benefit from my problem ! I am posting a photo of the pin that bent in the thumb link and had to be cut off. The link is tooo narrow for the thumb and allowed the damage to occur. I still had enough of the heavy wall pipe to make two bushings to hopefully eliminate any more pin bending. I bought another grade 8 bolt to replace the bent pin.
IMG_1652.JPG