• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Titan weld on thumb install.

casey518

I welded the small bracket to the inner boom near the bucket pivot (making sure it cleared the bucket when curled, then 20210110_122011.jpg pinned the tines and large bracket in, and then braced the whole assembly against the outer boom to be welded.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Let us know how it works out once you use it for a couple of jobs.

Welder Dave

Pay careful attention to where the stiff arm pins on the boom. That's where I thought there might be potential for damage on the boom. I also wonder if a longer stiff arm that extends further out on the thumb would add strength. I would imagine the bucket has about 10,000lbs. of curl force.

aighead

I'm certainly not smart enough but that picture above makes me wonder if there's a way to rig the extendahoe in a way such that the thumb would actually open and close... There's some physics there I can't quite picture. Maybe starting with mounting the pivots upside down? Seems like a silly idea but...

casey518

Welder Dave- Yea ill have to keep an eye on that. I imagine the more the angle between the dipper and thumb brace can be reduced, the more in line the bucket forces will be with the bracket. I can still mount the thub and brace on the intended bracket if i need to.

aighead - There is an earlier post from someone that did operate their thumb this way. I dont know how it would work with mine. I just wouldn't want to accidentally max out the travel.

Last edited:

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
It looks like you could extend the hoe to retract the thumb if you were careful not to go too far.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
It looks like you got it all figured out:D

Are you in love with it or is it just ok?

casey518

It looks like you got it all figured out:D

Are you in love with it or is it just ok?
I would say in my case it's a bit of a pain to use for just one rock or stump because the extradig has to be in just the right spot for the pin holes to line up. Wouldn't be an issue on a one piece dipper tho. As far as function tho it works great and it's not in the way when stowed.

MarcNH

Occupation
Engineer
I just ordered one; a 36" for my 310C.
From what I have seen on the forums, this is a well built piece of gear. I got the Titan Attachments one for $279 shipped.

I can't wait to get it installed.