• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Titan weld on thumb install.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
This is a pretty thorough discussion of how to the hydraulics.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/125912-custom-hydraulic-backhoe-thumb.html

Toy size tractor but should point you in the right direction.

Joe H

Thanks for the link. I think I have read through that one before.

After today I am rethinking and realizing the true value of this for my use will be feeding fires like I did today. With that in mind it might be better to not have a cylinder and hoses under the boom. I reckon I'll leave it as is for now.

Sorry to report to the pro welder nay sayers that this has picked up and hauled logs and stumps for several days with nary a crack or broken weld.

Shimmy1

I take it back. This thumb is showing it's worth today.

https://youtu.be/hjV8HGCgYls

Good work. Can't wait for somebody to complain about you backing around with the hoe in the air. Years back I actually sometimes had the loader bucket filled with gravel to keep the front end down while craning things with the backhoe. Even had to have the stabilizers brushing the ground a time or three. :D

hookedondiesel

Good work. Can't wait for somebody to complain about you backing around with the hoe in the air. Years back I actually sometimes had the loader bucket filled with gravel to keep the front end down while craning things with the backhoe. Even had to have the stabilizers brushing the ground a time or three. :D

Good tip's.:drinkup

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist

I have had to fill the loader on occasion but didn't have the need for the stuff I was moving yesterday. If the weight I'm working with require that I try to just use the loader.

A grapple would be the best tool but also not in my budget. I have to make do with what I have.

Oliver W D

20161103_182622_South Hampton Road.jpg20161103_182649_South Hampton Road.jpg

I got mine from Jett.com for $199.00 plus 15% off with free shipping, turns out the extra bracket was not with it and I just got it welded on today for $100. I'll have to see how it works tomorrow,...

Lonerock

Titan Attachmemts Thumb

I also bought one of the Titan weld on thumbs from Titan Attachments Memphis, TN and they free shipped the thing via Fed Ex. 141lbs. the Fed Ex. driver wasn't very happy he could barely get the thing out of the truck. I had a Pro welder using 7018 rods weld the thing. It is 36"long and is made of 5/8" stock. I installed it on an old Ford 445 TLB works great. I used the thumb to lift a bunch of White Pine logs.

Queenslander

There used to be an attachment advertised here called "attach a grab".
I don't have much experience with hoes and such, but I always thought it had some potential.
They claimed the grab could be left attached without interfering with most digging operations.
It appears the bloke went to the trouble of applying for US and Aust. patents but, despite searching for an hour, I can't find a photo or even any mention of the company now.
image.jpg
http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/warrick-stanley-pitcher-and-wendy-pitcher-as-trustees-of-the-pitcher-holding-trust/patents/AU1998086082/

Plongson

Sorry to report to the pro welder nay sayers that this has picked up and hauled logs and stumps for several days with nary a crack or broken weld.

I don't think I'd call someone who may weld for a living and perhaps is certified in several methods a...nay-sayer.

I would call someone who stuck an non-conventional attachment on the boom of a hoe and it not crack or hurt someone, by not following standard welding protocol...LUCKY.

Last edited:

Buddyo

Been super busy of late with soybean harvest. Got going with the 580k the other day with brush removal along field edges, lots of buckthorn and prickly ash. I have the 4 in 1 clam bucket on the loader so that is great for moving debris. Am still thinking of the titan and as I remove brush I try to imagine how one would work for me. I wonder if putting it in the last hole in the bracket (away from the bucket) if their is enough clearance to dig? Not really dig, sort of scrap to get these shallow rooted bushes. Thanks for the great pictures, sure helps.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Been super busy of late with soybean harvest. Got going with the 580k the other day with brush removal along field edges, lots of buckthorn and prickly ash. I have the 4 in 1 clam bucket on the loader so that is great for moving debris. Am still thinking of the titan and as I remove brush I try to imagine how one would work for me. I wonder if putting it in the last hole in the bracket (away from the bucket) if their is enough clearance to dig? Not really dig, sort of scrap to get these shallow rooted bushes. Thanks for the great pictures, sure helps.

It is useful for moving light stuff and even some logs and stumps. It only gets in the way if I am digging stumps so I keep it stowed as far back as it goes when I'm doing that. Otherwise it can be left in one of the forward positions and still dig ground and brush.

Your 4 in 1 bucket will probably have much more functionality than a mechanical thumb on the hoe end but you might find the thumb useful at times.

Last edited:

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Actually, NH575E, the welds are almost all in compression, only tension if something torques, I welded mine on with a stick welder and happier than a pig in a cotton candy factory.

NCM_0502.jpg

Overall, good for the money, under $200 and really speeds up loading crap in the dump truck.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Or, just yank both pins and remove it alltogether

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Or, just yank both pins and remove it alltogether

These things are pretty heavy. I wouldn't want to even remove the arm to stow it. One advantage to the way I mounted mine is the holes on the stow bracket line up with the bucket at full curl. I pull the pin at the boom, curl the bucket, and install the pin in the stow bracket.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
It actually is functional to a point in the stowed position. I often clamp things against it while stowed.