• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

od1

Occupation
Marketing heayy equipment
I have a friend with a machine shop. I'll ask him to turn some for me. I need 6 or so. I saw a part on a dock that I thought might work as a stop. It's made of aluminum and has what looks like tire rubber pressed together on end. It's about 2 inches thick including the metal. It's a bumper to protect a boat from coming into contact with the dock. I also thought of using a flat piece 2 inch steel and having a brake bad fused on. My friend with the shop relines brakes for skidders, dozers, etc.
What do you think? Would it damage anything?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Oh no, you won't hurt anything. The more material you put in there, the higher your basket will sit off the ground when it's stowed that's all.

Baskets on the newer machines sit way higher anyway. :beatsme

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You could use a piece of flat UHMW plastic. That's what boom wear pads are typically made of.

od1

Occupation
Thanks guys.
I restored an old Willys CJ2A and used to blocks of that on the hood. It was to hold the windshield in the down position. I might be able to just epoxy it on there.

superbinder

I just joined the JLG 40F club

I just bought a 40F myself.Three different shade tree mechanics have rooted around in the basket, now the wiring is hanging loose. It will still operate from the ground.I really need a readable wiring diagram. thanks

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I just bought a 40F myself.Three different shade tree mechanics have rooted around in the basket, now the wiring is hanging loose. It will still operate from the ground.I really need a readable wiring diagram. thanks

Welcome.
There are 4 possible brands of controllers you can have on a 40F, each uses a different wiring schematic. Do you know which controller you have?
Racine has a round rubber boot, Bertea has an oval rubber boot, and PQ has no boot with the level going in the top. Moog has no boot with the level going into the side of the box. :D

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I'll send you the two sets of diagrams we've got scanned. One is a Bertea, the other is a Racine. The PQ is almost identical to the Racine, you can follow right up to the controllers.
Moog is old...way in the dark ages.....you shouldn't have Moog.

excavator

It seems as though there are still quite a few of these machines out there and JLG no longer supports them. If one of you who have a complete manual would be interested in getting it copied, I would be interested in buying one just to have. Never know when someone will call needing one repaired. The Hydraulics and Pneumatics blog also has a thread on one of these machines.

od1

Occupation

The copies I have originated from OFF. I see he’s in touch with you. He’s light years a head of me on this. I can send you the copies I have though. If you still need them let me know what email address you want them sent to.:cool2

od1

Occupation
It seems as though there are still quite a few of these machines out there and JLG no longer supports them. If one of you who have a complete manual would be interested in getting it copied, I would be interested in buying one just to have. Never know when someone will call needing one repaired. The Hydraulics and Pneumatics blog also has a thread on one of these machines.

JLG sells them for 190.00. One sold on the web last year for 40.00. I'm looking all the time . If I get 1 I'll be glad to copy it for you.
:cool2

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic

I think the reason those machines are still in use is because they were by far the best manlift on the market at the time and JLG sold lots of them. Other machines on the market in the late 70's/early 80's like Condor & Snorkle Lift.....I'm sure they've all been made into Nissans & Toyota's by now. They were big, heavy, slow, clumsy machines with serious reliability issues. The 40F was a well designed, nice little machine. :cool2 (notice I didn't say trouble-free)

I don't have any manuals left, but I do have a file box full of electrical & hydraulic schematics for most of the old JLG models - 40F, 50F, 60F, 80F, 40G, 60H, 40HA, 60HA that escaped the garbage bin. Happy to help, I like those old babies. :D

superbinder

I found a manual for a 30F today. It shows the weight as 12,000 lbs. What is the weight of a 40F? I am gonna need a bigger trailer

od1

Occupation
I found a manual for a 30F today. It shows the weight as 12,000 lbs. What is the weight of a 40F? I am gonna need a bigger trailer

I think it's the same weight.:cool2

od1

Occupation
Actually I think we are having problems with 2 or actually (1 and a half) controllers, I was told that the good controller was swapped around to determine that the controllers were bad.

To make things more fun, the lift is in Michigan and I am in California.
The controller was sent to me for repair. I am an Electrical Engineer.
I currently have the UP/Down controller here.

A schematic of the PCB would be very useful if one exists.

The PCB it self does not have a part number but it does say it is a PWM controller made by P-Q controls, Bristol, CT USA.

I have a copy of the "Basket Control Wiring Diagram (Racine)." it shows 3 controllers swing, lift, and Drive all noted with "P/N 11600001(REF)"

Does any of this information help or sound familiar?

best regards,

Tim

Hey Tim

Can you post what you have here? I'd like to see it.
Thanks

od1

Occupation
Hey Atcoequip
Is there any special technique for removing and servicing the brakes?
How do the brakes engage? Any ideas?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey Atcoequip
Is there any special technique for removing and servicing the brakes?
How do the brakes engage? Any ideas?

Wow dude, it's been so many years since I've worked on a 40F, let's just say...I've slept since then. :D

I don't recall the brakes being difficult to service. Take the cover off of the drive wheels and you'll see the drive motor and brake assembly. The brakes are spring applied. When the machine is at rest with the engine not running, the springs apply pressure to the brake disks to hold the machine. Even with engine running, the brakes are applied until you select Drive. I can't remember on a 40F, but later JLG machines used a solenoid valve to apply hyd pressure to overcome springs and release brakes when drive was selected. Can't remember for sure, but I would say the 40F used a similar method. Can you remove the drive axle cover and post a pic of the drive motor and brake?

od1

Occupation
Wow dude, it's been so many years since I've worked on a 40F, let's just say...I've slept since then. :D

I don't recall the brakes being difficult to service. Take the cover off of the drive wheels and you'll see the drive motor and brake assembly. The brakes are spring applied. When the machine is at rest with the engine not running, the springs apply pressure to the brake disks to hold the machine. Even with engine running, the brakes are applied until you select Drive. I can't remember on a 40F, but later JLG machines used a solenoid valve to apply hyd pressure to overcome springs and release brakes when drive was selected. Can't remember for sure, but I would say the 40F used a similar method. Can you remove the drive axle cover and post a pic of the drive motor and brake?

Well it's 1:40 . I guess it's not going to get any warmer out there today. I'll get that plate off in a few minutes and get a pic. or two.
Did you ever work on a JLG 40C circa 1973? It looks a lot like the 40F.
If so let me know what you think about them. There's 1 for sale.
:beatsme

Xcopterdoc

If I remember right , the 40F used the same ole Mico brake assy, spring applied, hyd released, when the threshold on the controller was engaged. I still have JLG nightmares! They mostly subsided tho when I started working on Genies. Of course they were enough old H's and TB's around to keep ya jumpin'! LOL! Hey ATCO.. ever work on the old UNO lifts? The old POS with the cable operated brake pedal in the basket? Very nice! And of course all bang bang controls with RexRoth valves!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yep, I've worked on an UNO, many moons ago, I had forgot about that...until now. :D

Worked on too many Economy and Snorkel. Got a PRO126 Snorkel that's about to drive me crazy right now! Stupid thing!

I never minded working on Genie machines. One thing Genie does really well is their wiring systems and schematics. JLG does good wiring, but their schematics could be better. I'll be Ok with Genie...unless they take on the Terex mentality. Not too fond of Terex boom lifts. Terex aquired the old Mark Lifts, and proceeded to make them not much better. Just more complicated. ;)