• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

od1

Occupation
Marketing heayy equipment
Where do the cable and wires go?

:Banghead

Attachments

• DSC05787.jpg
    DSC05787.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 953
  • DSC05789.jpg
    DSC05789.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 972
  • DSC05790.jpg
    DSC05790.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 952

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Man...you really do need new cables on that thing. :D

I'm thinking they go into the hole and then into the basket pivot area. I'd say if you tilted the basket all the way back, you're probably pinching the cables the way they are run now. Can you send a pic of where the cables go over the rear of the basket leveling cylinder attachment pin and where the cables come out of the carrier tube?

od1

Occupation
Yep. It's a mess.

Where ever the cable bends on this thing there are issues. Look at picture 2. You’ll see a splice there. Just above the splice the cable passes over a bracket for the cylinder. I think it’s supposed to go under the bracket there but it was brought over to make the splice easer. Let me know what you think. It seems to be OK there but it doesn’t look right.
Tomorrow I’ll take a picture of the 16/24 where it passes under the platform. I think if it passes through that hole it’ll be more in line. Isn’t there a diagram for where the lines and hoses should go? It’s a real safety issue to screw up the lines in the boom area.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I saw the splice, that's why I said you need new cables. :D

It's been so many years since I've been around an F I can't remember how the cable is routed there, but I was thinking it's supposed to go under the cylinder, then through the hole to prevent it from getting pinched when the platform is tilted back fully. Maybe OFF can remember and add some advice. I just know the Bertea valves require good wiring. The controllers send milliamps of power to the valve coils, bad wiring will cause issues with them. I just don't think it's going to be a big problem re-wiring your machine now that you have schematics of what wire goes where. The wiring on these machines is not that complex. We have a 110HX that is due to come back from the paint shop anyday, I'll pop open the lower control box on it and send you a pic of a bohunkin' control box. :tong

od1

Occupation
The diagrams are key here. There have been parts and relays installed on this that are not on the diagrams. I have to use a kill switch when I’m done using the machine because several things stay on after the key is switched off. One example is the hour clock. As long as the battery is connected the clock runs. This is the least of its problems though.
When you have a minute get that picture of the 110HX to me.
Thanks again.
Talk with you soon.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
When you have a minute get that picture of the 110HX to me.

LoL, after being around your 40F, if you had the chance to get on a 110HX it would blow you away! They are a sweet machine. The length of the machine stowed is probably near as much as yours extended. And they're built just as solid as your old 40F. I would pick a JLG 110 over a comparable Genie, Terex, or Snorkel. I'll get you some pics when it gets back here. ;)

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Well OD1, to my memory those cables & hoses were just looped on the outside of the boom. I'm very sure they did not run through that knuckle where yours are now. I'm thinking they came out of the cable tray, ran through that hole in the boom, then down and around the basket tilt pin - but on the basket side of that pin, and then up to the basket. Remember to leave lots of slack to acount for both basket tilt & swivel.
They did hang down a bit where they looped before going up to control box.

In the very early 80's the company I work for put together a operator training package with lots of photos using 40F's, 60F's, and an 80F. I'll see if there's a copy of it somewhere. Cross your fingers.:lmao

Last edited:

od1

Occupation
Thanks OFF for your input. I'm going to see if I can get the boom to lift, and take a picture of the underside. It's pretty cold here today so it'll need 45 min. or so to warm up. The hole has been painted over since the patched wiring job so it's hard to see if there is any ware there.

od1

Occupation
LoL, after being around your 40F, if you had the chance to get on a 110HX it would blow you away! They are a sweet machine. The length of the machine stowed is probably near as much as yours extended. And they're built just as solid as your old 40F. I would pick a JLG 110 over a comparable Genie, Terex, or Snorkel. I'll get you some pics when it gets back here. ;)

It sounds like that model should come standard with a toilet. If it’s as slow as mine I’d never make it down in time. :eek:ops

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Here's a good picture.
JLG1.jpg

od1

Occupation
2 of 6

Attachments

• DSC05791.jpg
    DSC05791.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 852
  • DSC05804.jpg
    DSC05804.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 878
Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It sounds like that model should come standard with a toilet. If it’s as slow as mine I’d never make it down in time. :eek:ops

Well, I suppose that would be a problem. :D

You should take a ride in a JLG 800A Quick Stick. It will raise the fully extended main boom from the ground to full 80 ft elevation in less than 50 seconds, and come back down just as fast. It's a weird feeling to be raising the boom full speed and when it gets near the top it just slows down and comes to a stop. :cool:

od1

Occupation
4 of 6

Attachments

• DSC05793.jpg
    DSC05793.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 831
  • DSC05800.jpg
    DSC05800.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 841

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
You should take a ride in a JLG 800A Quick Stick. It will raise the fully extended main boom from the ground to full 80 ft elevation in less than 50 seconds, and come back down just as fast. It's a weird feeling to be raising the boom full speed and when it gets near the top it just slows down and comes to a stop. :cool:

How things have changed! It was quite a rush in the old machines to forget and hit the end of the lift cylinder without feathering the controller :eek:

and they were only moving a tenth of that speed

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
How things have changed! It was quite a rush in the old machines to forget and hit the end of the lift cylinder without feathering the controller :eek:

and they were only moving a tenth of that speed

LoL...amen bro, been there! Done it with hydro cranes as well, shakes the whole machine. :D

When I took my first ride in an 800A Quick Stick, it was crazy. Your raising the boom full tilt, nearing 80 ft, and you kinda get that feeling you get when you go over the top on a Ferris Wheel, but the boom just gently slows down and comes to a stop. It's a pretty weird ride. :eek:

od1

Occupation
6 of 6

Attachments

• DSC05796.jpg
    DSC05796.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 829
  • DSC05797.jpg
    DSC05797.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 861

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Oh man...your cable is NASTY! :D

When you do get around to replacing it, don't wire tie the cable to the power track like someone did in pic #6. The cable has to be able to move as the power track rolls in and out.

od1

Occupation
Oh man...your cable is NASTY! :D

When you do get around to replacing it, don't wire tie the cable to the power track like someone did in pic #6. The cable has to be able to move as the power track rolls in and out.

You said it.

I'm sure 90 percent of this machines problems is that cable. The other 10 percent is probably me.

What about picture 1. Is there a bumper missing? It seems there should be something there to stop it from hitting. There are no holes there though. Do you think I should have something there?

I was going to ask if any wraps should be used. I thought connecting it to the track was wrong but I thought I'd tye all of the lines together with tyes and secure them loosely together as I know the hydraulic lines will expand and contract.
Please let me know what you think.

A few of the cross parts of the track are broken. Any ideas on a parts source for that. I found a few but they are all plastic. I'm sure it'll be better in metal.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
What about picture 1. Is there a bumper missing? It seems there should be something there to stop it from hitting. There are no holes there though. Do you think I should have something there?

I was going to ask if any wraps should be used. I thought connecting it to the track was wrong but I thought I'd tye all of the lines together with tyes and secure them loosely together as I know the hydraulic lines will expand and contract.
Please let me know what you think.

A few of the cross parts of the track are broken. Any ideas on a parts source for that. I found a few but they are all plastic. I'm sure it'll be better in metal.

OD1, as far as I remember there was nothing on the boom cradle of those machines. The boom went all the way down, metal to metal, and make really unpleaseant creaking sounds as it loaded up. I actually used to do that intentionally while watching the main pivot pin on the end of the boom for movement (worn bushings).

That cable track might be tough to find these days. Nothing is finer than spending a week of your life taking off one thousand little c-clips and pounding out, cleaning, lubing, and re-assembling a thousand little pins. :tong

I've got about a 3ft section of it from a 40HA in plastic, I doubt they'd mate up though.