• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Lots of info in this one thread, I should probably print it out and put it in the troubleshooting section of the manual. My question is, how much different is the JLG 40 from the 40F. Looked at one a while back and it appears very similar but one thing that I did see different is it does not have a case drain from the travel motors and they are blowing shaft seals. I told the gentleman that I did not want to work on it unless I had a manual or at least some schematics ect. Does anyone know of or have info on a 40? How did they number these? Did they start with the 40 and then go to the F and G and H and so on? Thanks to all who contribute to HEF, it's very much appreciated.

The oldest machines I've seen were called "C" as in 40C or 60C. After that it was the "F" series, then the "G", then the "H", followed by the "HA" and from there they split into many different configurations & models.
Any chance you could get a serial number off the JLG 40??

superdaveweld

I have a 40f I am working on.

Morning guys :)

Yeah, I've got all the schematics on 17 x 22 paper. I could fax what you need, but it would have to be in 4 sections I guess.
We're talking a 40F with racine proportionals, racine bang-bangs, and PQ controllers, right? :D
I have bought a 40 f with alot of problems. I have got just about everything working with the exception of the travel motor brakes and basket functions. The wiring in the basket is a basket case. Most functions have been by passed and wired togeather. I am trying to get it figured out but a wiring schematic would really help me as I am a mechanic but wiring is not my speciality. I seen your post and was hoping you could help; I would be very greatful. I hope you still are monitor this blog!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have bought a 40 f with alot of problems. I have got just about everything working with the exception of the travel motor brakes and basket functions. The wiring in the basket is a basket case. Most functions have been by passed and wired togeather. I am trying to get it figured out but a wiring schematic would really help me as I am a mechanic but wiring is not my speciality. I seen your post and was hoping you could help; I would be very greatful. I hope you still are monitor this blog!

LoL, we're still here superdave, welcome to the forum. :usa

We can provide you with electrical schematics, do you have Bertea or Racine valves on your machine?

superdaveweld

re 40f

LoL, we're still here superdave, welcome to the forum. :usa

We can provide you with electrical schematics, do you have Bertea or Racine valves on your machine?
Racine, I don't Know what year it is but if I had to guess I would say late 70's early 80's. I also hope to figure out how to wire up the back-up emergency hyd pump. wow you suprised me I didn;t even Know if this form was still being monitored.

superdaveweld

wow thanks to atcoequip and off. I really appreciate the the wiring diagrams and other information treasures that you both have sent me; they will make getting this machine going a lot easier. I just need to figure out how to print the schematics out in sections so my poor eyes can read them more easily.
PS THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

dblazer

Hi superdaveweld
I just joined the Forum yesterday with a leaking boom problem on my JLG 40F which brought me to this thread. It looks like atcoequip has solved your schematic needs. Before redoing the electrics I recorded the existing schematics (in sections) - let me know if these would help you as well.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
wow you suprised me I didn;t even Know if this form was still being monitored.

LoL, it's our super secrect super powers dave. :tong

Hi superdaveweld
I just joined the Forum yesterday with a leaking boom problem on my JLG 40F which brought me to this thread. It looks like atcoequip has solved your schematic needs.

Well, actually it was OFF the delivered the schematics. :D

Welcome to the forum dblazer. :usa

dblazer

Hi ATCOEQUIP - thanks for the welcome. I need some help finding a picture explaining the inside workings of the extending boom on a

dblazer

Hi ATCOEQUIP - sorry about the incomplete post. I need some help finding a picture which will explain the inside workings of the extending boom on a JLG 40F. I'm especially interested in hearing about any cautions to watch out for when dissasembling the boom to fix a leaking cylinder.
Thanks

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Need anything on the JLG 40G. Eugene Hanson

I looked though all my stuff & came up empty for schematics or manuals. :(
All I have is a bunch of "build sheets" listing materials used to build certain parts of a 40G. Nothing really useable.

As far as wiring goes, the 40F FWD PQ/Racine should be very similar.
It's just a 40F with a sliding hood, right? :D

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi ATCOEQUIP - sorry about the incomplete post. I need some help finding a picture which will explain the inside workings of the extending boom on a JLG 40F. I'm especially interested in hearing about any cautions to watch out for when dissasembling the boom to fix a leaking cylinder.
Thanks

Well, I could send you the parts and maintanence manuals, that way you could get a feel on what you're working on. The worst part of removing the boom on an aerial lift is dealing with the basket. If you leave it on, your just fighting with it being top heavy during whole process. Then you have the electrical cables, in most cases you have to disconnect the cables from the terminations at the platform so you can disconnect the power track to remove boom sections. What I typically do, if the wires colors are clear and visible where wires connect to terminals in platform box, is simply cut the wires a few inches back from terminals, leaving a short stub of colored wire connected to terminal strip. Then remove the cable from the grip at control box. When re-installing basket, you simply crimp new terminals on the wires and remove one colored wire at a time putting correct wire that matches the stub on the terminal strip. Aside from that, it's just a bit of a project removing boom sections. You typically remove all outer wear pads, top bottom and sides. Disconnect the extend/retract chains where they connect to bottom of main boom. Remove the pin that attaches telescope cylinder to main boom, then pull the mid and fly sections together. Be sure and pull on the retract chain as the sections are coming out, that would be the chain going toward rear of machine inside main boom section. Probably some other details I'm not thinking of, but I'm confident they'll make themselves known. :tong

dblazer

Well, I could send you the parts and maintanence manuals, that way you could get a feel on what you're working on. The worst part of removing the boom on an aerial lift is dealing with the basket. If you leave it on, your just fighting with it being top heavy during whole process. Then you have the electrical cables, in most cases you have to disconnect the cables from the terminations at the platform so you can disconnect the power track to remove boom sections. What I typically do, if the wires colors are clear and visible where wires connect to terminals in platform box, is simply cut the wires a few inches back from terminals, leaving a short stub of colored wire connected to terminal strip. Then remove the cable from the grip at control box. When re-installing basket, you simply crimp new terminals on the wires and remove one colored wire at a time putting correct wire that matches the stub on the terminal strip. Aside from that, it's just a bit of a project removing boom sections. You typically remove all outer wear pads, top bottom and sides. Disconnect the extend/retract chains where they connect to bottom of main boom. Remove the pin that attaches telescope cylinder to main boom, then pull the mid and fly sections together. Be sure and pull on the retract chain as the sections are coming out, that would be the chain going toward rear of machine inside main boom section. Probably some other details I'm not thinking of, but I'm confident they'll make themselves known. :tong

Thank you ATCOEQUIP for your detailed help!
Yes, I'd like you to send me the manuals - how do I pay and give you contact info?
The basket is no longer a problem, I replaced it with a simple adapter to which I can also attach a bunch of different things like forks, backhoe, small dozer blade, hopper, etc. also the control panel can be easily removed so I shouldn't need to cut the wires.
I'm not sure which end of the chain you mean by "going to the rear of machine" Is that the end that is farthest from the machine?
Your confidence in the ability of other details to make themselves known speaks of a lot of mechanical experience <gr>

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thank you ATCOEQUIP for your detailed help!
Yes, I'd like you to send me the manuals - how do I pay and give you contact info?
The basket is no longer a problem, I replaced it with a simple adapter to which I can also attach a bunch of different things like forks, backhoe, small dozer blade, hopper, etc. also the control panel can be easily removed so I shouldn't need to cut the wires.
I'm not sure which end of the chain you mean by "going to the rear of machine" Is that the end that is farthest from the machine?
Your confidence in the ability of other details to make themselves known speaks of a lot of mechanical experience <gr>

Sent the manuals to the email you have on your profile, let me know if they didn't come through.

Well, I suppose it is confusing trying to distinguish front and rear of the machine. :tong Let's put it this way, underneath the main boom, near where the telescoping sections come out, you should see the attachment of the extend and retract chains for the tip section. When removing boom sections, you have to disconnect these chains from that attachment point. Then, when you start pulling the mid and tip sections out, you have to pull on the chain that goes into the main boom section toward the engine compartment of the machine. That's the retract chain. Pulling on that chain prevents it from bunching up in a knot when pulling sections out. Once you have the sections pulled out past that hole in bottom of main boom section, it will pull chain back into hole. Keep pulling sections clear of main boom. Then retract chain can be removed from main section. I don't think it's necessary to pull tip section from mid to remove telescope cylinder. On page 2-39 of parts book, you loosen or remove setscrew #3, then drive out pin #2. This should allow the telescope cylinder and extension box to come out of the rear of sections. Been a very long time since I've worked on one of these though, can't remember for certain. :)

dblazer

Sent the manuals to the email you have on your profile, let me know if they didn't come through.

Well, I suppose it is confusing trying to distinguish front and rear of the machine. :tong Let's put it this way, underneath the main boom, near where the telescoping sections come out, you should see the attachment of the extend and retract chains for the tip section. When removing boom sections, you have to disconnect these chains from that attachment point. Then, when you start pulling the mid and tip sections out, you have to pull on the chain that goes into the main boom section toward the engine compartment of the machine. That's the retract chain. Pulling on that chain prevents it from bunching up in a knot when pulling sections out. Once you have the sections pulled out past that hole in bottom of main boom section, it will pull chain back into hole. Keep pulling sections clear of main boom. Then retract chain can be removed from main section. I don't think it's necessary to pull tip section from mid to remove telescope cylinder. On page 2-39 of parts book, you loosen or remove setscrew #3, then drive out pin #2. This should allow the telescope cylinder and extension box to come out of the rear of sections. Been a very long time since I've worked on one of these though, can't remember for certain. :)

Wow! Thank you! I received the manuals and a quick look shows a lot of useful information.
Thanks also for your reply especially for pointing out that the fly and mid-section do not have to be separated. As you can tell I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before beginning. Especially where to park the F40 so I will be able to reach where needed with a forklift.
I'd like to keep you posted - it may be a while before I begin.
Thanks again for all the help!