• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma

arjaytee

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator (power plant)
Hi Atco-
Yes the e-mail in my profile is where I would like the files sent.
Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
No problem arjaytee. I will begin sending them as I get a chance tonight. They will be in multiple emails so the size doesn't cause a problem in sending them. :)

arjaytee

Occupation
Atco,
I just checked my e-mail. I got the schematics and parts manuals you sent. They are great! Now I've got something solid to work from. Thanks for taking the time to get these to me.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Aye, still got another parts manual page coming yet. They purty good size and had to be broken up to prevent size problems. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have received it too. Good stuff. Thanks!

Your welcome. :)

As for your pump, been too long since I've worked on one to remember the brand of pump and specs. I remember it's a 3 stage gear pump, that's about it. I think I would remove it and start looking it over for any identification info and numbers. If nothing else, take it to a hyd/pump shop and see if they can tell what it is.

arjaytee

Occupation
Your welcome. :)

As for your pump, been too long since I've worked on one to remember the brand of pump and specs. I remember it's a 3 stage gear pump, that's about it. I think I would remove it and start looking it over for any identification info and numbers. If nothing else, take it to a hyd/pump shop and see if they can tell what it is.
Good memory on the pump, it is a 3-stage unit. I did find some numbers on the mounting flange after power washing it. I'm going to try a google search to see what I get. It looks like pump removal will be necessary. Leaking around the pump input shaft I think.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Good memory on the pump, it is a 3-stage unit. I did find some numbers on the mounting flange after power washing it. I'm going to try a google search to see what I get. It looks like pump removal will be necessary. Leaking around the pump input shaft I think.

If you have a leak at pump input shaft, you may get lucky and simply need a new seal. Be prepared though, in many cases, the seal is leaking because it has excessive pressure on it from worn pump end plates or shaft bushings. Hope you get it sorted out. :)

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Thank you Pual for sending over the files.Let me know if you ever need any info I have a lot of stuff im my laptop and in books that I can copy and send.

TRbond

Occupation
DOD
I am working on a 40F with only 2 problems I know of so far. (1) boom rotation problem. The boon will turn clockwise but not counterclockwise, I don't think it is in the basket controls. (2) I can't use the ground controls because when I flip the switch to ground controls the engine shuts off. If anyone can email me the wiring diagrams and parts info. I need joysticks, where is the cheapest place to order them?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum TRbond. :usa

Do you have Racine or Bertea control valves?

TRbond

Occupation
DOD
I will have to check the valve type. Can you email me info for both?

flhayman

Another 40F

I have used my JLG 40F for some projects, and now it's for sale, since a local guy wanted to get rid of his 4wd lift. The 40F is amazingly solid and well built, to me. As with any low priced machine, there are a few little things to fix, but the new parts are worth close to what i'm asking, $2750 in Florida, with help loading/driving onto truck.
Anyway, one of the things I've been wondering about is why sometimes I have to blip a function, such as platform level, in order to get the swing or lift function to work. The valves for all the proportional functions were replaced with new bang bang valves in a parallel D5 block, (I still have the proportional controls, but there was a leak and nobody in my small town wanted to fix them). The pressure filter was similarly unknown to my NAPA store and my local hydraulic shop, so I put in a generic25 gpm return filter instead. I have thought that there might be some back pressure that is tending to hold the holding valves, which is relieved when I blip another function on the same dump valve. Or is it the dump valve leaking?
You guys really know your stuff, and I'm just a farm handyman. I have an expensive copy of the JLG manual, but it leaves a lot out, and like you said, has some very challenging small print in the electrical schematic!
I have learned a lot from reading here, and want to thank those knowledgeable folks who contribute their time to this publicly accessible forum. The internet was originally conceived for this kind of research, I think, although they may not have envisioned heavy equipment at first!

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic

Also TRbond, what kind of "joysticks" (controllers) do you have?

Bertea has oval rubber boots
Racine has round rubber boots
PQ has no boots. The level comes out the side of round topped casting

:)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Just checking to see if you're going to forward the diagrams OFF. I don't want to send them if you already have. :)

Anyway, one of the things I've been wondering about is why sometimes I have to blip a function, such as platform level, in order to get the swing or lift function to work. The valves for all the proportional functions were replaced with new bang bang valves in a parallel D5 block, (I still have the proportional controls, but there was a leak and nobody in my small town wanted to fix them). The pressure filter was similarly unknown to my NAPA store and my local hydraulic shop, so I put in a generic25 gpm return filter instead. I have thought that there might be some back pressure that is tending to hold the holding valves, which is relieved when I blip another function on the same dump valve. Or is it the dump valve leaking?

Welcome to the forum flhayman. :usa

Are you saying you removed the proportional control valves and replace them with a bang valve assembly? Haven't seen that before.

Your blip thing, do you have to blip level or basket rotate to get the drive to work as well, or is it just to get lift and swing to operate? Just making sure I'm hearing you right.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Just checking to see if you're going to forward the diagrams OFF. I don't want to send them if you already have. :)

I would have but I had all the digrams and manuals loaded on a 2 gig memory stick laying on my desk at work.......and some wonderfull person stole my memory stick. :(

If you can, please do. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I would have but I had all the digrams and manuals loaded on a 2 gig memory stick laying on my desk at work.......and some wonderfull person stole my memory stick. :(

If you can, please do. :)

Oh man...that sucks! So, your saying...you originally sent the diagrams to me...and now you need me to send them back, eh? LMAO! :D

I'll get 'em back to ya in the next few days mate. :)

TRbond, I'll email you the diagrams, all of them if necessary, but it would really be good to send you the diagrams for the type of valves you have because the Racine and Bertea are very different.