• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sooooo... How's everyone's quarantine going?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Are you seeing tons of conflicting reports too? Like some before said suspect in custody, etc. Seems really odd.
Everything I have seen so far indicates he is dead. Even the New York times and CNN. Global says they are looking for motive, no mentioning of questioning him. Just as well, then we won't have to pay to keep him. I worked at the prison here in Renous this fall, and saw Justin Bourque out inside one of the play pens. I guess the inmates think he is great, being a cop killer.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I believe you failed to make a point. Insurance companies try to find rules you won't conform to. If they impose a rule you violate, they still collect premiums, but don't have to pay.
"Joe broke his leg."
"Was he wearing a hard hat?"
"No?"
"I'm afraid we can't pay."

If corporations called their bluff, said this operator is sitting behind safety glass, he doesn't need safety glasses, we will get our insurance from an insurer that doesn't impose ridiculous rules, they might reconsider.

I see mill operators, their job is to wait until a gauge reads an unacceptable level, then push a stop button. They are exposed to nothing worse than a bit of dust. They wear hard hats, and safety glasses & steel toed boots.

Insurance policies are designed to make the insurance companies money for sure. I don't believe they could refuse to pay for an injury unless it was spelled out that they would not pay if no hard hat and/or safety glasses were being worn. I will say that our coverage did not require a hard hat in the EROPS. Nor safety glasses as long as the door and windows were shut. The point I was making is that it is not a mandatory OSHA provision but actually is one in which they used common sense.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
All injuries on the job in the states are covered by some kind of industrial insurance which as far as I know are run by the individual states. The programs as far as I know never make money which is why the business owners are always complaining about the costs going up all the time. Two things drive the costs. The first is the number of lost time accidents and the second is the ever increasing cost of medical care. Yes there are people stuck on themselves and their quest for power over others. The other side of that is all safety rules are written in blood.

Truck Shop

Talking safety, when I was in high school I ran around with this kid that his dad ran a foreign car repair shop and his Grand father was a tool die maker machinist. His name was Winfred and
he wore green Dickies shirts and pants plus a green machinist visor 7 days a week, drove a black 1967 XKE as a daily driver and a 66 MKII 4dr for Sunday.
Mark the kid was having discussion with his dad about something he had done that was foolish using a jack.----Winfred was standing in the stairwell to the machine shop listening to the
argumentative chit chat between father and son. Winfred interrupted and Spouted {Mark you know how you can tell a smart successful old machinist? he held his hands up-you see Winfred
was 85 years old and still had all his digits}.

One of Winfred's great/very cool things he had built over the years was the cooking/stirring pots for Pautzke's Balls of Fire Fishing Eggs, which are made in Ellensburg, Wa.
He also had a very neat collection of toy steam engines that he built every part, all of them ran and some even had whistles.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Screw the quarantine!
I got to break / remove rocks this week.
Our job has been shut town for 3 weeks due to the corona thing. I really don't understand how any virus would impact me, my job and the work that I do. But that's just me...I'm hungry and just like a prostitute, I'll do just about anything for money. That said, myself and my foreman actually got to work this week. The foreman grade checking and doing other foreman things and myself on the breaker, the 800 and the 10R. BTW, this is (obviously) extra work. I'll take it any way can :D

20200422_072349.jpg 20200422_111520.jpg 20200422_111545.jpg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Been walking a lot. Dog enjoys it. Love early mornings, best part of the day. Sitting on my ass in a grader for years have not been good for my waist line. Was thinking about stepping it up to a jog. Last night, I was acting out with my daughter, and started to run out of her room. Jumped over her bean bag chair, and landed on the head of an LOL doll. Like stepping on a lego block. Pulled the other leg forward really fast, to get off the LOL..... bam!!!! right into a hallway cabinet, and took out the two toes beside my little toe. They are the loveliest shade of black and purple. So much for jogging. Now the dog is pissed, and like are we going for a walk or not? Going sweeping tonight, doing parking lots with an L45G and a kick broom. Glad I'm working alone, cause I'll be wearing socks and sandals. Take that safety!!!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
This afternoon we worked on a duck house. I can't say why, Seth & Savannah have ducklings. Started with six, Bailey the ancient huge yellow lab swallowed one whole. Then they were five.
He may be into $1000. thus far on ducks. Building an A frame duck house. Next phase is a small pool in the brook they can splash in.

Flat Thunder Channel

Working from home. Catching up on some unfinished projects that were hiding out in the shop. Largest project at hand is Bobcat 843 skid steer. Working to put all the pieces back together again.

I find myself also stocking up on miscellaneous hardware for future projects. So far I bought an assortment of metric fasteners, some fuel line, spring clamps, and some vacuum hose. Any suggestions on other good items to keep on hand for miscellaneous repair work? I don't have a huge budget, but enjoy keeping some common things on hand.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to buy a load of lumber this week, going to add a new hunting stand where a few runs and trails cross. Simple enough layout, a small condo on stilts where can stay Dry, Warm and comfy, perhaps allow the nephews to come and set up even sleep in it to get a earlier shot for them!! Most likely have WAY Too much money and time in it but something to do!

Also have to get the lumber to set up the Wife's Entertainment area(TV and Stereo Shelving). Be a basic built in hanging off the wall for the TV, Stereo, book shelves knick-knack junk shelves/cables hide. Will also be buying steel to build a similar to the bar set up as that D/S and a new Bullet trap as neighbors are developing ALL too close these days to the property lines. Thinking a 2' long x 6" sch 40 or 80 pipe slit lengthwise, 1/4" side wall sheets with cross bracing to hang wood to set paper across, set on stilt legs up for stability and off the dirt so can hang a catch bucket under.

Attachments

• Trap.pdf
    127.9 KB · Views: 12

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
a new Bullet trap as neighbors are developing ALL too close these days to the property lines. Thinking a 2' long x 6" sch 40 or 80 pipe slit lengthwise, 1/4" side wall sheets with cross bracing to hang wood to set paper across, set on stilt legs up for stability and off the dirt so can hang a catch bucket under.

Not 100% sure from the description but thinking this is something for target practice shooting?

Years ago had a neighbor who had a target range set up in his side yard. What he did to recycle the lead was to hang several about two foot square sections of conveyor belting, I know of this because I help get the scraps of belting from the quarry, above a sand pit. The belts as I recall were a couple inches apart. The sand was so he could sift around in it for any bullets that got through one belt but didn't stick into the next.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Screw the quarantine!
I got to break / remove rocks this week.
Our job has been shut town for 3 weeks due to the corona thing. I really don't understand how any virus would impact me, my job and the work that I do. But that's just me...I'm hungry and just like a prostitute, I'll do just about anything for money. That said, myself and my foreman actually got to work this week. The foreman grade checking and doing other foreman things and myself on the breaker, the 800 and the 10R. BTW, this is (obviously) extra work. I'll take it any way can :D
upload_2020-4-25_15-48-36.png
That photo of the D10R reminded me of this one, taken some years ago. I think I've posted it before but it's well worth posting again.
Pete, you'll need to tension the tracks on the 10 a bit if you want to push rocks this size..... :p:p

Has that 10R still got a HEUI engine in it or has it been repowered. I had sleepless nights with those things back in the day. What a dog.

upload_2020-4-25_15-46-41.png

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
View attachment 215945
That photo of the D10R reminded me of this one, taken some years ago. I think I've posted it before but it's well worth posting again.
Pete, you'll need to tension the tracks on the 10 a bit if you want to push rocks this size..... :p:p

Has that 10R still got a HEUI engine in it or has it been repowered. I had sleepless nights with those things back in the day. What a dog.

View attachment 215943
I believe that 10R still has the HEUI engine. As for the tracks, that's typical of the company that I now work for. I'm just an operator now. I leave my wrenches, advice and suggestions at home. Sad but true.

Speaking of rocks, A nice 988A that I ran years ago and one of ECCO's 9's I ran on rental for CMEX in Apple Valley Ca.20120815_064701.jpg IMGP0141-1.jpg IMGP0153-1.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yes KS, a trap for my own target practice. Considered a sand trap but this was much simpler, actually a copy from a fella I saw show off one nearly 50 years old and still quite functional little to no damage, the key is off setting the pipe to cause bullets to slide around not impale to the back.

IF I get the gumption, will establish my own 500yd range for my 50, would REQUIRE a backstop depth of close to 20' of sand and covered on top to keep any redirected rounds from straying OUT. Using Clay or dirt gets too hard, and the damn things WILL ricochet, been known to travel up to two miles as we heard at Raton NM Range. Do NOT want to ever have 647GI or 750AMAX grains of nasty leave my place.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Yes KS, a trap for my own target practice. Considered a sand trap but this was much simpler, actually a copy from a fella I saw show off one nearly 50 years old and still quite functional little to no damage, the key is off setting the pipe to cause bullets to slide around not impale to the back.

IF I get the gumption, will establish my own 500yd range for my 50, would REQUIRE a backstop depth of close to 20' of sand and covered on top to keep any redirected rounds from straying OUT. Using Clay or dirt gets too hard, and the damn things WILL ricochet, been known to travel up to two miles as we heard at Raton NM Range. Do NOT want to ever have 647GI or 750AMAX grains of nasty leave my place.
Might want to look into 3 miles of max range with bullet of that size, I've known at least one person to made kill shot at 2.19 miles

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That is why the 20' of sand to catch the bullets, just for sight ins. NOT a routine use except for extended range use with my smaller rifles.

Am figuring to dig a trench bucket wide 7G at least four feet deep, sides of rough cut whatever lumber can get hold of with a cover of treated lumber then bury the whole mess exposing only the entry point. That can be covered with layers of conveyor belting or tires laid flat even ties or any other sacrificial materials, anything to retain the sand as I do not intend to recover any of the slugs. Set targets in front of that and shoot thru them into the pit.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Well the sandals were not a good idea last night. Easier on the broken toes, but I blew a hose, and had to swap brooms, and it was below freezing, and I was alone. Brrr