• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Sooooo... How's everyone's quarantine going?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When had to suit up in Level A HAZMAT Suits for Fire Brigade or during HAZMAT Incidents(Acid or Caustic Leaks) we used to tape them on the Hardhats we had to wear inside the suit to wipe condensation off the window

DIYDAVE

Speakin of pole burn, kinda reminded me of this old chestnut!

A woman from Los Angeles who was a tree hugger and an anti-hunter purchased a piece of timberland near Colville , WA. There was a large tree on one of the highest points in the tract. She wanted a good view of the natural splendor of her land so she started to climb the big tree. As she neared the top she encountered a spotted owl that attacked her.

In her haste to escape, the woman slid down the tree to the ground and got many splinters in her crotch. In considerable pain, she hurried to a local ER to see a doctor. She told him she was an environmentalist, a tree hugger, and an anti-hunter and how she came to get all the splinters.

The doctor listened to her story with great patience and then told her to go wait in the examining room and he would see if he could help her. She sat and waited three hours before the doctor reappeared.

The angry woman demanded, "What took you so long?" He smiled and then told her, "Well, I had to get permits from the Environmental Protection Agency, the Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management before I could remove old-growth timber from a 'recreational area' so close to a waste treatment facility. I'm sorry, but due to Obama-Care they turned you down.";)

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I see in the news that the feds are going to let individual states start to lift your restrictions

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Not much will change here until May...personally I don't have a problem with it. Better safe than dead.
Money wise, it's kicking our ass, loml's cafe is operating take out only 3 days a week. It pays for the food but not the bills.
She has loyal customers that keep coming, some all 3 days. Had someone from 30 miles away last weekend, brought the whole family, nice day, they went to the park to eat.
I can only hope she'll be swamped when regular business operations can resume.

Ed

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
New Brunswick is a small province. Not a lot of industry here anymore. A lot of potential mining, but the government keeps shutting it down in the developmental stages. determined to keep us dependent on Alberta oil and provincial transfer payments. Then they seem determined to keep the west from getting their oil to market. Anyway we have one of the lowest numbers as far as C19 cases. The Province opened the 4 wheeler trails for the weekend as long as people practiced social distancing. I guess that didn't work because they are shutting them down again. Fishing season has been postponed until May first as well

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I saw the flip flop on your atv trail opening. Seems the premier wasn’t involved in the opening decision and didn’t like it so it was reversed. There are a lot of people who don’t approve of atvs and feel they should be permanently banned.
We are lucky here as there is no control of trails in our area so we ride as we like . I don’t think there will be any rallies this spring though. That doesn’t bother me.

Welder Dave

There's talk of banning ATV's in Alberta because ALL the forest fires are caused by ATV's... or it's easy to blame them on ATV's.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Every time we go to Alberta for some awesome mountain trail riding they close more areas. They seem to think it should be saved for hikers only. The only hikers we’ve ever seen way back in the trails were 3 guys from Israel that hiked 3 days to get there.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
They can still ride, but they will close anything on crown land. The snowmobile federation leases the old rail beds from December 15 I think till April 15. During that time ATVs can be fined. Buddy of mine went out this weekend, said that there were a lot of bikes out, but they were partying at the shelters even though they were asked not to. The ATV club had told everyone the shelters were closed. Only takes a few bad eggs to draw the law into it.

Welder Dave

There's always some that think they should get special privilege's. I won't be able to open my track for at least a month but I need to find out if there are specific rules for a practice track. They say no gatherings of more than 15 people and social distancing must be observed which I could do but need something more specific for motorized recreation. I don't want some neighbor to complain because they hear some bikes and the cops come out and make up some rule(s) that never existed.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Osage county sheriff had fun with ROW intruders on the old Rock Island roadbed last fall. Had a couple of ATV types decided to try to ride outrun the sheriff and took to the trail as were getting close to being caught on the county roads. Only problem was when got to Gasconade River Bridge, evidently forgot was a little fire, around thirty cross ties were burned AWAY. Got up on bridge, almost ate the iron work destroyed BOTH ATVs, had to lifeflight the idiots to Jeff City. BOTH ATVs were later recovered and impounded but not likely ever to be ridden again anyway. Both nitwits could have died, are barricades going up now to impede any further use of it.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Not much will change here until May...personally I don't have a problem with it. Better safe than dead.
Money wise, it's kicking our ass, loml's cafe is operating take out only 3 days a week. It pays for the food but not the bills.
She has loyal customers that keep coming, some all 3 days. Had someone from 30 miles away last weekend, brought the whole family, nice day, they went to the park to eat.
I can only hope she'll be swamped when regular business operations can resume.

Ed
We're trying to keep our two small restaurants in business with regular takeout orders. Our town is quite tiny so we appreciate our local businesses. We have two gas stations, seven churches, a Family Dollar and a school. Oh and a feed store.

Welder Dave

Osage county sheriff had fun with ROW intruders on the old Rock Island roadbed last fall. Had a couple of ATV types decided to try to ride outrun the sheriff and took to the trail as were getting close to being caught on the county roads. Only problem was when got to Gasconade River Bridge, evidently forgot was a little fire, around thirty cross ties were burned AWAY. Got up on bridge, almost ate the iron work destroyed BOTH ATVs, had to lifeflight the idiots to Jeff City. BOTH ATVs were later recovered and impounded but not likely ever to be ridden again anyway. Both nitwits could have died, are barricades going up now to impede any further use of it.

I think in cases like that there should be proper barricades and large warning signs bridge is out. Years ago I was riding dirt bikes with some friends near the river (it was allowed at the time) and they were putting in a new overpass. We rode across the overpass just to check it out but it was only 3/4's completed. There were no warnings or anything. They had a piece of guard rail bent across where the bridge ended but it didn't go all the way across. Had we'd been going fast or not been paying attention we would have all likely been killed falling about 80' to the river. I think in cases like bridges and such there should be requirements for proper signage and adequate safety precautions because you never know what could happen. Somebody shouldn't die just for being curious.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I think in cases like that there should be proper barricades and large warning signs bridge is out. Years ago I was riding dirt bikes with some friends near the river (it was allowed at the time) and they were putting in a new overpass. We rode across the overpass just to check it out but it was only 3/4's completed. There were no warnings or anything. They had a piece of guard rail bent across where the bridge ended but it didn't go all the way across. Had we'd been going fast or not been paying attention we would have all likely been killed falling about 80' to the river. I think in cases like bridges and such there should be requirements for proper signage and adequate safety precautions because you never know what could happen. Somebody shouldn't die just for being curious.
About 20 years ago or more, a bypass was under construction. The entire road had been finished to the point where they were ready for inch and a quarter gravel. The approach to an overpass was done, but no work had started on it. It was winter and the snowmobiles raced on the road. Each side of the approach had 12 foot high barricades with road closed signs about half a mile from the drop off, then another set at the end that said road ends. Some guys having a few drinks, snowmobile club and started up the road in the dark. Just before the drop off the trail turned off, and went down to the existing road level, where it crossed, then headed away from the new road. One guy not from the area, pulled out and passed his buddies, went off the end and landed on the asphalt road 20 feet below. He ended up in a wheel chair. Sued the province and won.