• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid Steer with snow blower???

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Craft & KSSS where do you use the blowers with the high chute the most? Do you have commercial contracts or do you hire out to municipalities? How is the production rate loading trucks vs. a wheel loader? I am considering upgrading my low flow skid and blower to high flow unit. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

I hire out to large residential and small municipalities. I normally run the smaller chute except when loading trucks. I usually can load a typical tandem truck in about 7 minutes. The colder the weather the better when blowing. You will want all the flow you can get out of whatever machine you chose. The graders make a windrow (which compacts the snow, not ideal) and I blow the snow into a truck. I would get as wide a blower as you have machine for. Mine is 85" which is as wide as I found. You get less spill off the edges that way. I think the open chute on Crafts would be better for loading trucks, no chance or much less chance of plugging. Mine will plug if you push it too hard when its warmer out. Be sure when you select a skid steer get the control handles that will allow the blower to be plugged into the electrical connection and allow chute operation from the control handles. This prevents having to have a separate control handle mounted somewhere in the machine to operate the chute direction and spout elevation. When loading trucks your constantly changing the angle of the spout or chute it seems. It would be a major PINA to have to fiddle with another control handle for those functions. When your running the blower at full capacity they use fuel.

As far as advantages over a wheel loader, the biggest advantage is you can pickup the snow without worrying about backing into someone and taking up the whole road in the process. I found positioning the truck just in front of the blower works the best. I shoot over the tailgate of the dump truck. Takes some time to get on to.

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Craft -

Did you get much benefit from the rubber deflector on the top of your auger ?

PDG X

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
WOW ! lots of action today ! .....where do I begin ? ........ well thanx for the compliments ! ..... We see alots of compacted snow/ice on the ground around here, usually from mid Nov. to the end of March, and with the total weight of my present and past machines, in excess of 10,000 lbs at times, there is nothing scarier than not being able to stop or keep control of your machine especially when the thing decides to go into a power slide .... there are many theories of how to chain-up a machine mine are as follows : if you chain up the front only it does not push worth a crap, but if you go over a bank with the front end, you pick-up the boom you add traction to the front taking away from the rear and out you come, it will also turn easier........ if you chain up the rear only, then you have great push, if the front end drops over the edge you can be hooooped, it also turns around easier,...... when all four are chained-up well you have the benifits of all of the above, but you can't do the donuts without leaving black dust, (seen in the spring when it dries up), all over when on asphalt, so a guy just has to use a little more finness and make larger turns........ 12 yrs ago was the last time I ever only chained up only one end, since then its all four or stay home. As far as wear to the chains goes, well there are chains and then there are real chains. If you guys noticed we (KSSS & I) are using chains that have a crosser every second side link (we call them super singles up here) that way the crossers don't get stuck in between the chevron lugs which leaves very little chain expossed. Also I found with my first sets that the material used was not heavy enough, the crossers were 6mm & 7mm including the clevises. With the weight and power of the large frame loaders in tore them apart ..... so the sets I now have are 8mm and are 5 yrs old (5 winters use) ..... 1 on my old JD 8875 and now the fourth winter on the A-300, but keep in mind that my machine is an "ÄLL WHEEL STEER" which does hugely reduces wear, but having stated that I still got 3 winters on a heavy skid-steer out of them, before I got an AWS..... So as the saying goes "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".....What you use the machine for dictates what you should buy and use. ...... I have been known to plow many Logging roads up to 20 miles long, and drive-way/roads in excess of 2 miles long, so when you only have 1 set on or cheap chains well ???? ...NOT GOOD !!
I too have a contract to load trucks with the taller shute. I wound up getting this job cause they have been loading trucks with a 966C with a chip bucket (5yd Cap) for 30 yrs and as KSSS stated no looking behind just go straight, never have to worry 'bout if there is enough room to load side ways. it was just an out dated way to do things. ....... Keep in mind as KSSS also said in a past post you need lots of flow and Hp to make it work efficiently ..... smaller units will work, but deff. not that quick .............. As far as the rubber deflector goes I found that when you are finishing up a parking lot or you come up to a building, the speed that my auger turns at it spits quite a bit of snow forward of the blower, the rubber flap WORKS, when you go into full depth snow drifts or what ever, the flap just folds in out of the way. Most all of the European blowers like Kahlbacher, Zaugg, or Westa all have those flaps on standard equipment.

Jimmy L

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the info KSSS & CRAFT sounds like you guys love what you do. Anyways KSSS is that Belgrade Montana? and what is the cost of the better chains? Thanks again and i will defininty experment with my machine to see what works.

JGS

KSSS I understand what your saying about the hand control. I have the extra hand control for the chute. That is definitely on the upgrade list for the new machine. I do like the open the idea of Buhler tall chute being open. I'm running an Erskine blower. Performance of the Erskine has been great. But after 3 yrs. of use, I finding the metal housing of the impeller coming apart at the welded seams and the wearing thin. I would like to get into a blower constructed more for a municipal application. CRAFT how long have you used the Buhler and how do you like it's performance and construction? Is the front auger chain driven and how does it handle objects getting lodged in the auger? Meaning shear pins or hydraulic pressure release. How do like the A300 all wheel steer during snow removal operations? Your information has been great. Thanks again for the replies.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Thanks for the info KSSS & CRAFT sounds like you guys love what you do. Anyways KSSS is that Belgrade Montana? and what is the cost of the better chains? Thanks again and i will defininty experment with my machine to see what works.

Yea its Belgrade, Mt. I bought my first set while working in Big Sky about three years ago and bought another set last year. Like Craft said be sure to get the chains with the cross chains every other link. Don't even waste your time with anything else. I priced these heavy chains all over Mt last year and Camp was the cheapest. They were $100 more in Billings. Cant remember the name but they are from Norway or something like that. They still wear but really they are the best I have found. I put 500 hours on them in Big Sky in some absolutely nasty conditions and they held up great, I got one more year out of them pushing snow and burned them off with the snow pusher.

I am thinking they were like $250 for the set which is two tires.

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
CRAFT, I have a little problem with my blower with chunks being flung by the impeller when blowing packed banks. Does your flap reduce this from happening? Thanks

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Hello Guys : JGS, I know exactly what you mean with the housing, I believe thats why the commercial Buhler has a replacable metal liner in the fan housing. My old buhler was a converted 3 point hitch model, but it had an oil bath gear box and the fan housing was a 24"dia. too. The fan housing wore a little, it got a crack at the weldment of the circle, stuck the rod to it and it welded up great. I had the old one 'bout 12 years, the old JD did not perform that great for the blower application, for the last 4 winters tho it has survived a s**t kicking .... and that made me stick to a Buhler. One of the main reasons was exactly as you ask, The Structural Integrity of these units are outstanding ....... @ buhler they told me this why they had built a type specific unit for Commercial Skid steers, they tested and re-tested them to make sure they would withstand the twisting of what a skid could throw at it, the other thing was I had hit something really hard with the old one and the Auger got bent bad ..... if the hydraulic motor was bolted directly to the auger I suspect that it too would have been damaged ....(don't get me wrong I'm not slaming the Erskine, its just that I had no experiance with them or knew of no one with one, I was so close to getting one from the Bobcat dealer @ 0% on attachments, but they did not even come close to the table with price) in my case all I had to do was pull it out block it up and use one of my excavators to bend it straight again, not even an hour and good to go, a chain drive is not the nightmare that other people portray ....have NEVER broke a link or even a shear pin on the old one because of being hyd driven it was set so it would releave and stall rather than break as opposed to pto, no give ..... on the new one both the fan and auger are chain driven, the auger is built way stronger too ..... the chain size is as big as some skids drive chains ..... as far as the A-300 goes I love it have had zero issues ..... 1500hrs on it as of today and if you found the right lug on the fronts you can still make out "12X16.5"on the face (original rubber).....BTW we have no soft soils here all hard clay meshed with jagged grit and of course Rock ....in the snow it performs great cause you're not skidding one side to turn ,less ice compaction that way and in the spring when a guy goes back for final billing you don't have to hide for fear of all the ashpalt ripped up as I did before, never forget these large frame skids are HEAVY....if you noticed I have suit case weights on the rear, since I put them on the spinning virtually stopped (POPS wheelies good too LOL) customers like it too no turf dammage, I did a stump grinding job on a Golf coarse was crossing the greens with it and the manager could not believe what I had done ....only minor chevron pattern in the grass ...less than their tractors..... Hey Steve! ...thats exactly what was happening with the big blower it was spitting all the large hard crap forward, when I got close to a steel garage door I was affraid of denting them when you were peeling the compact up, and some of the places there would be a slidding door not 4' away where you stopped and guess what? .......so yes! it stopped all of the involentary projectile launching LOL ..... I mounted the flap just a hair above the auger, it was a shot in the dark and it worked, uhmm I guess too it depends on your blower if the top housing is far enough over the auger to hang down to be effective ...if not i'm sure it could be lenghtened, my housing is almost flush with the front of the auger ........ hope this helps........... TTFN ....GK

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Here seems to be the place to ask a few questions so I shall.

What are your thoughts on the Lorenz skidsteer snowblower? http://www.lorenzmfg.com/snow.htm
And Schulte http://schulte.ca/products_snowblowers_bxseries.htm

How well do they (skidsteer snowblower) go though snow drifts that have been setting for a few months?

How important is the fan design? Would the lorenz six blade fan be better than a four blade?

What are some design factors that you like from one brand to the next?

Airedale

changexlt:

I purchased a Case 445 77hp Skid Steer with an Erskine 7' blower back in December. The Case Construction dealer in Fargo said that Erskine is what the contractors use. I have a friend who has been in the snow moving business for over 20 years he has an Erskine, good solid machines no problems.

As far as using the skid steer/blower in hard packed drifts it hasn't been a problem. It eats right into them just go slow. I blew along a fence line in my pasture so the animals wouldn't walk over it 2' to 4' drifts for about a half mile. The only thing I ran into on the hard packed snow is to make sure to get close enough to the ground so you don't high center the machine. I had to get pulled off after the tires lost traction once.

On the taller drifts you can raise the blower take the top off back up lower the blower and blow the bottom away. I don't have high flow and it still blows snow 20 to 40 feet depending on how wet it is and how fast I try to move through it. By matching the speed to the conditions it blows it farther other wise you end up with a blowing bulldozer pushing a big pile out in front.

I also have an 7' bucket with a grapple on it. It also worked very well in the hard packed drifts. Pushed the bucket into the drift as far as I could go then used the graple to take a bite. Takes longer to move snow with the bucket but uses a lot less fuel compared to running the SS wide open to turn the blower. I got a bolt on grapple form Haugen Attachments in Casselton ND. Very good heavy duty less expensive than a new bucket with a grapple and it can be removed easily. www.haugenattachments.com

One thing about the Erskin I like is that there are no shear pins. It has a hydraulic relief valve that stops the augar when it gets jamed. You just reverse the auger to clear the jam. Which can happen in very hard packed snow with all makes of blowers. Nice feature beats the heck out of changing shear pins at 10 below. It has a 4 blade fan.

The most important thing about purchasing a snowblower for a skid steer is to match the blower to the gallons per minute and hydraulic pressure the skid steer produces. Erskine matches the blower to the skid steers out put. Erskine blowers are made in Erskine MN which is east of Crookston MN on hwy 2.

Their website is www.erskineattachments.com. Quick-Attach and Erskine are the same machine. QA sells direct to the public and Erskine sells through dealers.

Airedale

Last edited:

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Just another reason I upgraded to the commercial SS blower from Buhler...its what I have done alot of is open up roads that snowmobiles and quads or the hero 4x4 guys trying to see how far they can go before getting stuck, which leaves a muck pile of frozen hard crap...... my skid has the HP, HI-Flo and the weight to hook-up on the ground and do it in a single push.... as mentioned in the previous thread you have to slow down though .... the cutting edge plays a major role in doing this as well, so does the structural strength of the housing and side plates , ..... as my snow blades are, I take the skid shoes off right from new so that I can scrape down to the bottom .... it would be nice if all the North American manufacturers of Blowers would do as the European units...their augers are made of Hardox steel and the leading edge is serated (like teeth) check out www.kahlbacher.com or Zaug and Westa ...thats all them boys do over there is bust thru avalanches and snow drifts ..... as far as all of the Hyd blowers that I checked on they are all shear-pin less and use hydraulic relief ... I looked at the schulte's but they did not make a big enough blower for me, largest was a 74" but from what I could see they were tough ..... as far as 3,4 or 6 blades goes it requires alot of hyd hp to drive them puppies like the prop on a plane ...everyone has a different theory

Last edited:

JGS

With winter fast approaching us, I thought I would bring this topic back to the top of the list. An update. I have purchased a Buhler snowblower to replace the Erskine blower. After the return from the welding shop, the Erskine will be kept as a backup. I am very impress with the construction of the blower. This blower definately is built with commercial/municipal work in mind. I will be interested in seeing how it performs.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Congrats with the new blower purchase ! ...... and YUP tis the season to begin yapen bout this stuff, and before you know it we'll be up to our arm pitts in it and wish'n that it was spring again ....LOL ..... I too am looking forward to using my new one.... got ripped off last season here, Not much snow........BTW which model did you get, and what are you using it on...maybe post some pics ?...........:drinkup

JGS

I happen to stumble onto this blower. A dealer about 2.5 hrs. west of me had it. It was demoed once and sat for over a year. Almost half the price of a new one. I bought the Buhler B7422HSB-2. Its a low flow unit that matches my hydraulic flow. For now it will be attach to a Takeuchi TL130. I am still looking to upgrade my CTL.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
There was a You-tube video of the same blower as yours, mounted on an ASV 60 ..... if my memory serves me correctly........ just enter a google search for buhler snow blower it should still pop up in the list
Keep us posted this winter how it works out for you ...... :drinkup

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
adan .... look at JGS's 2 posts back thats what a TL130 is ..... and the you-tube clip is also one .......... :cool2

adan

I have a T190 and my dealer was trying to tell me it won't hook up traction for a snow blower attachment or a dozer blade in the snow..

telivader

I am running a New Holland LX 170 high flow with an IFC commercial blower. Two years ago I switched from chains to studded snow tires. I have had this unit running commercially for 5 years. Must haves are
1. good lights
2. good wiper
3. good defroster
4. good coffee mug
5. tons of snow