• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

Lashlander

Nice looking dozer. I worked for an outfit that had a D31P. It was a nice little machine but had electrical problems from day one.

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Lashlander...

Thanks. BTW, I was stationed in Kodiak with the USN in 1961-1962. Would like to go back to see the old place, but probably never will. I'll bet it has really changed since then.

WD

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Boy, that's a nice looking machine. That ROPS and sweeps are fine. Lights and all..... I got a lite switch on mine, but that's all that's left to the lites.
I ran mine today also. Found out I was working over a yellow jacket nest yesterday with it, but didn't know it.....saw them swarming around today when I was surveying the damage I did yesterday. I do not like to mess with those things. They inflict the worse pain of all stinging bees.
I am gonna try to post a pic of mine...my brother told me when I sent him a pic of it...."I hope it runs better than it looks"....ha ha....it runs good.
Pete

Wulf

I am hoping that someone on the site will have knowledge or can provide additional leads on how to tighten the tracks on this dozer. Most people say that there should be grease fittings but no one thus far has been able to locate the adjustment fittings

If you could post a photo of the complete track frame and more around the idler area we could probably make some suggestions... I can't believe that it can be so different to any other unit that folks here have experience with :)

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Here's mine....no indication in uploading pics (2) that they are here or not....no blue buttons, no red arrow over manage attachments and no green arrow for browsing.....wonder why it's different ?? Hope the pics are here...
Pete

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Trying pic again

Think I got it this time.
Pete

Attachments

• 28May1007 Dozer Ready to Run (Small) (2).JPG
    28May1007 Dozer Ready to Run (Small) (2).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 4,115

Lashlander

Thanks. BTW, I was stationed in Kodiak with the USN in 1961-1962. Would like to go back to see the old place, but probably never will. I'll bet it has really changed since then.WD

I bet it has. Its surprises me how much its changed since I moved here.
Here's a pic of the Base and Womens Bay. I took this on a flight home from King Cove a year or so ago.

How long ago was that Lashlander? On the older ones the electrics were pretty darned basic.

It was an 85 model. The charging system was the main problem. We put several alternators on it and they wouldn't last. We had the Dealer work on it and they got it going for a while but it quit. I spent all summer either parking it next to another machine so I could jump it in the morning or an electrical outlet so I could charge it.

Last edited:

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Kodiak

Hey Lashlander,

Well, back then we called it "Old Womans Bay", and the mountain to the left was called "Old Womans Mountain", for what reason, who knows and hey, who cares. I can locate the exact position of my old barracks in the picture you sent. If you look on the right side of the bay at the docked ship (about the middle of the picture) and go up the hill to your right about two hundred yards, well, thats where I was for a year of my young, virile life. You probably live in town which probably has social functions, females and other things which we did not have.
As far as electrical problems: My poor ole thang don't have much more than a battery (24 volt dammit), headlights, and a starter system, so can't too much go wrong.

Let me know how it goes up there.

WD

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
To Pete and all the other guys.

Pete,

Don't listen to your brother. If I listened to mine, I would still be in bed sucking my thumb. There ain't nothing wrong with your dozer. Love the sweeps, but hey where did you get that seat with a headrest? Super. I am thinking about getting a sound system and a wet bar installed. :drinkup
But really,I am looking for a seatbelt. Thats a musthave, and if any of you guys know where I can get one, please let me know. I have an operators manual for a -6 series I will swap even for a seatbelt. If you don't have a seatbelt, I still have an owners manual for any of you -6 owners that need one. Glad to help out if I can.

WD

Lashlander

Hey Lashlander,

Well, back then we called it "Old Womans Bay", and the mountain to the left was called "Old Womans Mountain", for what reason, who knows and hey, who cares. I can locate the exact position of my old barracks in the picture you sent. If you look on the right side of the bay at the docked ship (about the middle of the picture) and go up the hill to your right about two hundred yards.WD

Its still called Old Womans Mountain. The reason is at a certain spot out in Chiniak Bay it looks like an old women laying on her back. I live out in Bells Flats at the head of Womens Bay. Thats cool you can spot your old stomping grounds. Everyone needs a trip down memory lane once in a while.

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Some filter information.

Guys,

This is a little information about finding filters for the D20-D21 that I ran into with the local NAPA dealer. They have a good website online that cross-references filters, but the ones that kept showing up had no relation to what I needed on my D21P-7. Then I noticed that they had an area for the engine serial numbers. When I put that in, I hit the jackpot and was able to buy the fuel, oil and air filters (both inner and outer) at the local NAPA store. Not cheap, mind you, but available. They said they can do hoses for me too if and when I need one, but I'll test that out when the need arises.
Funny thing happened changing out the fuel filter. I had both side panels off of course, but just couldn't work a filter wrench around the bottom of the fuel filter. The left side lift cylinder was in the way. No matter what I did, no matter how many elbows I attached to the socket, just wouldn't work. As I gave up on the stupid design engineers in Japan, and was practicing expanding my English, my wife walked up behind me and said; "Wouldn't you have more room if you let the blade down?" :pointhead
Sure I would. I would have lots more room. All I needed to change out the fuel filter, in fact.

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
I had saved the seat from a small Mercury car, about 1986. It was in the way and the dozer seat needed work....$150 estimate for recovering. That's why the car seat is there...ha ha. Heck, it's real comfortable.
No seatbelt either and I can't find the old ones from the car...you can get some from a junkyard, no doubt.
I ran my old dozer hard today. I am clearing some jungle-like places here and it is hard work for the machine. It is holding together, tho....boy, limbs sure like to get tangled in the blade, etc....and the tracks eat about as many limbs and roots as I shove out.....Those things really grab everything and rip it to shreds, after swinging them by the cab...gotta dodge (if you see them coming). I bent the grille in today, it was bent when I got it and I fixed it...now gotta straighten it again.
Oak trees sure have strong roots....maples and bay come down easy (small trees)....a big pine stump that's fat is a no-no!!!
A big thicket of muscadine vines gave me fits....they were hung up on all parts and in the tracks.
Got 'er done, tho.
Happy 4 th.
Pete

bulduzer

Welcome aboard rangerfreak:drinkup , I'm not a Komatsu expert:eek: but there are a few guys here that do qualify. So fire away and someone will probly answer all your questions.

Can someone tell me if there is any adjustment to the drive & steering clutches on a d-21-p 6? The left brake hung up on my dozer and before i freed it, it pulled good. now that the brake is free, the left side is not pulling, we're just kinda goin round in a big circle

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF bulduzer! :drinkup

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Seatbelts and clearing jungles.

Hey Pete and all you other guys.

Found an easy seat belt source. Go to: http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/
Mine was shipped today, and total cost was about $20.00. The D20-21-7 and I think the 6 series too, has mounting holes tapped on either side and to the rear of the drivers seat. Easy installation, and a must-have according to a dozer driver I know who has about 30 years experience. Gets a little bouncy out there sometimes.
Like Pete, I am busy clearing some good ole southern brush. Lots of Chinese Privit, Sweet Gum, Pine and Elm trees. No problem with any of those types at or under 10" diameter. It is amazing how much work can get done in such a short time, especially compared to using a chain saw and box blade! Not too good yet at floating though. I still am going to have to use a box blade to get 'er completely smooth.
Couldn't do without the sweeps. No way. Even with them I've still had some visitors up there with me, but they keep out most of the limbs. I highly recommend the the D21 transmission. It saves lots of shifting, but you gotta remember to come to a complete halt before changing directions.
I'm sorry I had to wait until I was sixty five to get this thing. :D

WD

Wulf

Can someone tell me if there is any adjustment to the drive & steering clutches on a d-21-p 6? The left brake hung up on my dozer and before i freed it, it pulled good. now that the brake is free, the left side is not pulling, we're just kinda goin round in a big circle

bulduzer, the multi-disc clutch shouldn't need any adjustment but the brake is band type and should be adjusted. If you lost drive on one side you should make sure the brakes are free and that there is no dormant clutch release pressure.

On these dozers there has often been confusion over whether the steering clutches are wet or dry, some are wet and some are not and folks can fill them up inadvertently or oil can transfer into the clutch compartment. If everything checks out OK in that regard the steering clutch may just be slipping or be more seriously damaged or possibly the teeth are gone on the discs/plates. If that happens you maybe need to check the run out between the pinion and bevel gear flanges.

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Howdy all.....WD, you got 3 years on me...that chainsaw was killing me...dozer gets the roots too, and that's a lot better. Still need to fire up the saw on some of the bigger downed trees, so I can move them.
When my dozer is cold, I have a little hesitation when I first shift to F or R.
After warmed up, I have very slight hesitation when going from low speed to high speed in forward or reverse, but very slight. Does your newer one do that, WD?
I have all new fluids in mine. Changed all of it in all sections. It takes a lot of oil...hate to see what a big machine takes.
I thought I had steering problems as mine is rather hard to steer.
I hooked a big chain to a really big oak stump and while pulling, I had power steering ! That told me the clutch releases were working and it pulled in a straight line, so I knew the clutches were hanging in there. I use the brakes a lot to turn, guess that's the way it works and I hope they hold up.
All I know about 'em is what I read here and in the manuals....never been on one before I bought this one. (Except a bigger Case that the tracks were coming off when I test drove it!!!)
Hey WD, I got the kinds of trees you have except elm.....don't know that one....and you didn't mention yaupon holly. This is the main pain here. It grows in big thickets and has a big, shallow root mass. I have to shove it over, pop the root edge up, then backup and get under the root edge to shove it out. It makes little red berry, hangs up on everything and burns with a crackling sound. It gets hung in the tracks and anywhere else it touches. Birds spread the seeds and they sprout happily. Glyphosate will kill it after 10-12 applications, if I'm lucky. (small plants) I need to buy a chemical to kill it and also small Chinese tallow trees, as glyphosate won't do much to them, either.
Pete in Poplarville, MS

wdnewman

Occupation
Retired
Some old timers here!

Hey Pete,

What is it about two old guys in their sixties getting their first bulldozer?
Like you, this is my first one, and I am using it for exactly the same thing you are using yours for. About that hesitation: Yep, I get it too, just about exactly as you described it. I think it might be the nature of the beast, and I think that it is probably normal doing that. As for as the steering, I don't know. I drove three D21-6 models that had lever steering, and all of them were hard to steer (to me). I got the joystick control steering, and man, it is great. I can't figure out how you can steer with the levers and operate the blade at the same time with less than four arms. Takes practice. Also like you, all I know is what I read in manuals and have learned from using it around the place. I looked at a Case 450c, two JD 450's and a Mitsubishi before I decided on Komatsu. The Case and the JD's were completely worn out, and I mean less than zero time left in the undercarriage. To buy them and get them in working order (that you could depend on) would have cost in the 30 grand range. I couldn't locate a dealer or a parts house for the Mitsubishi, so I let that one go. Glad I got what I got, let me tell you.
I think what you are calling Yaupon Holly is very close to what I was told was Chinese Privet. You painted a perfect picture of it in your description, and I've got it all over the place. They are not quite the same, as the Chinese Privet has green berries which the birds spread, and everyone they drop sprouts! Stuff grows pretty tall too. I attach a picture.

Keep a'clackin'.

WD

Attachments

• Chinese Privet.jpg
    Chinese Privet.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,617

kc5gxc

Occupation
Retired
Howdy all.....WD, that's what I call privet hedge. It is a pest. It grows about like the yaupon holly and has a wide root clump also. Only good thing about it is that it's smooth and doesn't hang up on stuff too bad. We had some here about a foot in diameter next to the house. Took me and my brother 2 days to cut that bunch down. I read a story somewhere on the net about an old farmer talking to someone....he was asked if he remembered any of the mistakes he made in life.....he said something to the effect...."well, one comes to mind. Long time ago cousin Floyd called me about some of this hedge he had got and planted....it was really nice and he told me I could have some to plant around the house. I went and dug up a bunch and planted 'em all around the place. The name of this plant was Chinese Privet, and nobody knew much about it............then...."....ha ha ha....that was funny.
I was on the way up to Magee one time and stopped to eat and look at somem plants at this nursery. The lady had yaupon holly in pots. Think about $5 a pot. I told her we were rich...all she had to do was come here and dig up all she wanted and cut me in....ha ha ha ha...Told her she better not let any of it out of the pot....ha.....but the berries will get spread.
I will try to take a pix of this stuff and post it.
Take care, Pete