• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Saunders Hauling

K W 900

059.jpg K W 900 kinda makes you feel small when he is beside you unloading the logs off your truck. Lots of power in that machine it has no trouble at all lifting that kind of weight.

K W 900

080.jpg K W900 This is Ken from Freill Lake Logging and Butch talking with his hand up. Butch run the 307 machine out Kitimat River loading logs back in 1985.

K W 900

047.jpg K W 900 Starting down the long grade with logs on after pulling away from the 307 loader at Kitimat River for Freill Lake Logging. Sure was a nice day then clear view of the valley to Terrace.

K W 900

064.jpg K W 900 ya guys there was some nice spots up in those mountains where you went to get loaded. People used to ask me where I worked over the years and when I got to the Roy Saunders part of my story hauling logs in the mountains ''Well'' I said it wasn't like work when you do something you love to do.

K W 900

K W 900 Ya it was getting up there near the snow line. Hot in the valley down on the mainline and you could go play in the snow up where we were loading logs ha ha

K W 900

041.jpg K W 900 My old 1984 Kenworth 900 Saunders truck under the loader in Kitimat River. This was a busy spot loader going, Madill tower pulling logs up stuff moveing all over all you could hear was machinery going ha ha.

K W 900

042.jpg K W 900 Ya I did haul a lot of logs out of this area in 1985 and 86 For Joe and Ken Mc Laughlin From Freill Lake Logging then for Roy Saunders.

K W 900

036.jpg K W 900 there was always lots of trucks coming into and going out of the yard at Saunders in Kitimat around 1983 things were busy.

lowbed driver

View attachment 162335 K W 900 Starting down the long grade with logs on after pulling away from the 307 loader at Kitimat River for Freill Lake Logging. Sure was a nice day then clear view of the valley to Terrace.

KW 900 are you sure Friell lake was up in the upper Kitimat? I remember them coming to town in the early 80's and doing a bit of work on the Weedeene side of the valley and then they seemed to be in Hirsch creek forever. Upper Kitimat was logged by The old Eurocan crew which became Westfraser/Skeena Sawmills. I believe Wayne Moon worked for Friell lake and Ted Moon for Skeena sawmils. I may be wrong and Friell lk may have worked in the upper Kitimat for a bit.

K W 900

K W 900 I have my old load books here but it doesn't say where I was hauling out of. You may be right not sure myself Ha Ha. I did load under Wayne and Ted moon both in Hersh creek for a long time years it seemed. This may be Hersh Creek as you said it's been 34 years since I was there. I Know Dale Owen and Myself and Jack Lavalle and a few others were in Kitimat river for a long time pulling logs out of there to Terrace. I loaded a lot under Butch and Reno as well. Reno still loads trucks and Butch drives a truck now I think. Ya you get mixed up sometimes hauling all over and I went everywhere for Saunders. Yep a lot going on with Eurocan,Westfrazer,Skeena Sawmill,Freill Lake crew hard to remember lol. Not sure how many are still running out there now since I left. Happy Trails K W 900.

K W 900

074.jpg K W 900 lowbed driver now I'm sure this is in Hersh Creek around 9 or 10 miles in and up off the mainline. This is loaded coming down the road towards the main road. That was fun I'd like to do it again sometime ha ha. :)

K W 900

You have a good memory, mine not so good at times ha ha. Ya Ernie Hadley had me going all over the place. I'd start out one place and he would call on the radio and send me somewhere else. I didn't mind that I got to see some great places along the way. Never got out hunting, I don"t think the boys wanted to give me a gun. the Moon boys did some I think around the country back in the day when I was there.

K W 900

K W 900 ya it was around Kitimat may be by Terrace not sure. The loader you have here is the same but a newer one than the one in the picture it was taken back in 1985. I guess they are still making them today they worked very well for loading didn't take long to put a load on. I don't think is was a Skoglund site where I loaded. I went so many different places it's hard to remember where they all were ha ha. Happy Trails