• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Saunders Hauling

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I have about 140 pictures of Saunders Hauling Contractors. Most are from Kitamat a couple from Holberg, Is there a topic for them I have been unable to find. Some Hayes Kenworth and a few Pacific trucks.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Saunders material seems to be scattered amongst the threads of the various truck manufacturers, with the Kenworth thread having a lot of material. To me, they seem a significant enough presence in logging to merit their own thread.

lowbed driver

I have about 140 pictures of Saunders Hauling Contractors. Most are from Kitamat a couple from Holberg, Is there a topic for them I have been unable to find. Some Hayes Kenworth and a few Pacific trucks.

I also have pics of off highway and highway trucks at Kitimat. Lots of friends drove for Saunders here in 60's,70's and 80's. They would have pics as well. Would love to see your pics. Please start a thread. I could probably name a few of the drivers if they are in your photos as well as locations. I would try and scan my photos and get them on to the thread as well.

Cheers Lowbed Driver

Hank R

Occupation
Roy Saunders Hauling Nanaimo, Class of 63 64 Nanaimo Vocational Training school. Mr. Saunders brought his first new truck to the school to let the class see it as they were servicing his other trucks. My friend Roy is in the picture and has names of students but is away for a month.

The newspaper story about the class and truck. Sales man from M.L. Brown came to the school often looking to hire future mechanics.

Hank R

Occupation
These 2 pictures are from Lepas Manitoba 1973, they took the bunks off the trailers and trucks, then used large I beams to make a flat deck and wood was cut to 16 ft lengths. A lot of tooth picks to a load.

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I never realized how many trucks Saunders had. I only saw some of there highway trucks and a few pictures of the off highway Kenworth's.

Hank R

Occupation
I heard that Saunders placed the largest single order that Hayes ever received 24 trucks but I am unable to know if it is correct. Also on the Kitimat job they hauled 24 hrs a day 5 days a week.

Hank R

Occupation
When I was in Campbell River this May dropped the wife off at the mail and found 6 Saunder trucks parked, only took 4 pictures as the others were hard to get pictures off and I was running out of time:beatsme

lowbed driver

I heard that Saunders placed the largest single order that Hayes ever received 24 trucks but I am unable to know if it is correct. Also on the Kitimat job they hauled 24 hrs a day 5 days a week.

I think they ordered 19 trucks one time if memory serves me right.
I know a lot of guys who were not truck drivers that drove off highway. Any body that was willing to work weekends would eventually get to drive some trucks to the dump or mill on Sat/Sun while the regular drivers took time off. Not so much for Saunders but the big companies that owned their own trucks could get anyone they wanted to drive. Crown Zellerbach was in town back then and so were a number off other contractors as well. We had 2 A-frames at Minnette Bay one was known as Crown Z and the other M&B. We also had a mill here from 68-80ish.

We had welders come to work for us in 75-76 and they spent their first 3 years working for us and never spent a day in the shop, mostly welding at night when things were shut down/parked.

I also know painter who would go out on weekends and paint trucks(weather permitting) right where they sat on the side of the road. Usually loaded. Imagine parking your truck on Friday and Monday it has new paint?!.

Those were the days I guess. We will never see logging like that again... Cheers L.D.

Hank R

Occupation
I am trying to go through in order so I do not get the same one a couple of times but looks like the were some drivers that were a little hard on paint if you know what I mean. But if you run non stop troubles will happen in the early morning hrs.

lowbed driver

Are all the pics you have of off highway? They did have a large fleet of highway trucks here as well. Lots of KW LW 900/924 and W900's, some Mack's, some Western Stars....

Hank R

Occupation
Yes mine are all off highway, and from the 1970's, post any pictures you have . I think they at one time was a very large hauling company of logs in B.C.

Hank R

Occupation
Looks like K-36 is almost new, the loader man?? checking the air near tires???

The start of a ugly load, must be clean up.

Winter and moving chain up time.

mitch504

Wow! Those last two pics of moving in winter really show what those trucks are. The lowboy tractor looks like a toyota pickup.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
When I was in Campbell River this May dropped the wife off at the mail and found 6 Saunder trucks parked, only took 4 pictures as the others were hard to get pictures off and I was running out of time:beatsme

Kenworth thread posts #521 and #524 are pics of at least some of these same trucks that I took at Duke Point early last year. They had been sitting there for a long time so now we know where they went. d.d.