• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Saunders Hauling

K W 900

K W 900 ya it was a shared trailer loader at the Eurocan mill. It was a long way to the top from on the ground under that A frame. Things got busy there at times during the day, but you got a short visit with the guys while they were loading from other area's they were working at. I guess that's how I got the name ''Windbag'' ha ha. happy trails K W 900.

K W 900

025.jpg K W 900 well boys it won't be long and there will be three feet of snow on the trail in the bush. You can see the snow coming down the mountain farther every day. Nothing like pushing iron loaded with logs on the old ice roads all chained up so you make it up the hills and back down. You earned your money in the winter but at least they tried to keep us working ha ha. cheers K W 900

K W 900

046.jpg K W 900 if the lowbed driver is around I found this picture and I'm sure it is Dale Owens truck loaded coming out the road between the rock cut in Kitimat River road. it was a gold and white Pacific I think he had back then, I was waiting to load next. happy Trails K W 900.

K W 900

082.jpg K W 900 This is one of the Freill Lake boy's working on greasing and cleaning out the tracks on the one machine that they haul the logs up the mountain with. You can see my Kenworth behind it and it looks like a toy compared to that yarder. Everyone took a turn at working on that machine to keep it running when I worked for Saunders hauling out of there. This was around 1984 when this was taken at Kitimat River, crazy how big the machines are in logging , and ya Hank the roads were rough and the gravel had rocks the size of your lunch kit in most places ha ha. Happy Trails K W 900.

K W 900

050.jpg K W 900 this is the mill in Terrace B C in 1985 when we started hauling into it. they had lots of logs in there during that time and the trucks were going steady into the yard.

K W 900

051.jpg K W 900 well get in line guys this won't take long he takes the whole load off in one lift. ya some days there would be 8 trucks lined up to unload in 1985.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
KW 900....That isn't "JUST" a Hayes HDX on Vancouver Is...It is the very last Hayes truck built..Her sister is also on the Island..
H-17 is retired now and her life long driver and care taker owns her.He is a long time member and a wealth of information on the Logging Forum...

I will let some one else tell the story...

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
K W 900 if you get a chance read through the Hayes trucks there is lots about that truck a fellow HDX is the well known driver and now owner of this truck he has Hayes blood running through his viens for sure. He is a very nice guy from what I have heard although I have yet to meet him.

K W 900

K W 900 Ok Hank thank you. I guess you guys have been on this site for a long time and know a lot more of what is going on and what's out there than I do ha ha. Just retired and been out of logging for too long and run across Canada and the USA long haul not logging so I'm way behind all of you guys. Feels good to get back to the stories and people I had the most fun with thank's guys. Happy Trails.

K W 900

018.jpg K W 900 this is my old Saunders Kenworth up on the mountain out on Kitimat River. You got a great view on a clear day up there of the valley towards Terrace.

K W 900

017.jpg K W 900 ya on a good day you can see the valley towards Terrace and get a good look around. A lot of days were foggy and raining but on the good days it was nice up there lol.

K W 900

048.jpg K W 900 this is the mechanic that worked for Freill Lake logging when I was there. Not sure what his name was but he worked with Joe and Ken in Kitimat River. Someone may know who he was but I can't remember now' Ken was leaning on the front fender of the truck.

K W 900

088.jpg K W 900 This is one of Saunders trucks I think Peter was driving. He came around the turn off the road through town to turn into the Terrace mill and the hitch on the compensator reach broke off. It dumped the whole load on the road just after the turn. I think the bush forman was in the truck going the other way and it almost landed on him. He saw what happened and drove into the ditch trying to stop and get out of the way.

K W 900

091.jpg K W 900 Always some of the boys willing to help get you back on your feet when you fall over. Didn't take long to clean things up and lots of empty log trucks coming out of the mill to haul the logs away for you. It was close enough to the mill they could of pushed them over with the loader lol.