• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Last load of primer went on yesterday, was completed by 9 so shut down and cleaned up wife got home took bike ride to Jefferson City, a micro brewery there called Prison Brews and had lunch. Long way around was 160 miles ride time.

So this morning, awake at 3:30
Back out sanded the rough spots, water wash/wiped all sanding dust up, so humid taking forever to dry then will take reducer and final wipe before apply primer seal coats.

At which time the extra plastic will come off to final clean and ready to paint.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Rains went around but temp going back up so earlier start
Touch up sanding then wipe down then tack rags and set sealer. Damn tip dripped several times where will have to sand those out and I dripped sweat where those will need a touch up but sealed.
3E0D2F8D-CBBA-4E5F-A87A-D3B1415AC947.jpeg B5BFB41F-6686-4FCD-BD76-F8D60568BD96.jpeg BE473ADE-D3A9-457A-8448-EC3E8B8438B2.jpeg 91865759-6F90-45D9-ACC8-CE11EE64D3A1.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well the next three days are off the schedule. Over 70% humidity, was already 84 at 3:30 this morning and checked in the shop was still 85 from yesterday heatup. Rain expected next three days if not just increasing humidity and no respite from heat until next Monday with even More chances of rain. Cannot spray in a tyvek suit to control sweat dripping in that, where even considering palpate gloves to keep from raining as paint.

Old Doug

I was at a school showing how to use a paint gun it was their siphon fed gun i was using. I forgot to check the pot for leaks or wrap a rag around the cup sure enough it dripped on the top of the pickups tail gate we were painting. Its been a while since i did much painting and buy the rattle can jobs i have done resently its hard to believe i was ever good enough to teach how to do it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Decided was a good day for Sweat Lodge, cleaned up the primer and sealer errors, spot sanding then sanded the rough off large area flat surfaces. Will use up last of primer tomorrow after mask a couple locations off and retouch spots. Then just awaiting COOLER for real paint.

Old Doug

I took on a rebuilder it hit a deer i got in a hurry and thought i had every thing pull but i need to pull the core support some more on the drivers side. So now the fender needs to come back off. Two steps forward one step back.IMG_20220803_072524.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was reading up on the Delfleet paint I purchased, only have a 1.5 hour window if mix TOO much paint at a time as will Pot Harden, uses a specific hardener and solvent reducer that is also a Hot Flash Off type. Was recommended I only spray below 80F or risk too rapid a flash off and orange peel appearance. Will be using a gun with a 1.3mm tip and low as recently used air pressure of around 10psi for two hard wet coats, then raise to between 15 and 20psi for a dusting coat for mottling prevention , clear goes on same tip at the 10psi rate two coats no dust over.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Appears Monday thru Wednesday next week is my best choices for paint. Mid 60s early, to Mid 80s early in day where figure to scuff the primed spots accordingly for that over the weekend, no hurry as no time schedule to follow.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
All in testing pattern and flows Doug, seems easy enough but NOT!!

Tomorrow will be worse than today but Sunday only a taste cooler supposed to let up on the rains, calm air. M is 92% chance, Tu is 78% both for Thunderstorms, high winds, good chance to drop power. So gonna do this Sunday. Did get most of hood sides and fenders scuffed up today with everything below door window height, tomorrow finish that, clean and tack rag the WHOLE cab/Sleeper, Gun is ready, will mix paint about 4-4:30 Sunday Morning and have at it, work to be done two coat by 8-9, may be able to get clear on before smoking hot. Next window not for over a week per the Weather Liars where will be headed to OK on 19th.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will be aligning to set frame plates for Rear Fenders mounts, touch on frame a little and set some tape on plates for weld to area then paint rear frame sometime next two weeks, will have tires here by then so will be on its own shoes after that. As dry in cab again by closing all the holes with parts, old beast can finally go sit outside when not being worked on.