• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will be painting Indoors, likely in cool of morning and shaded.. Door will be open for some of it, be lowered as hood gets closed to draft in from over door to out under(Two Fans). Poor Mans downdraft booth.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Heat built fast today, had hood and shop door open but managed wash, enamel reducer wipe down and started masking. Had to Quit as was just enough, always tomorrow. Need to mask jambs on L Side doors, then both door windows, windshields and finally rooftop brackets/pieces and back of sleeper handles, brackets.

IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0336.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Up with the wife as usual, only she awoke at 2:45, cooler out so off to the shop, worked on prime areas, have some spots to rehab a little further where knew primer would show out where would need more work. Poor Man's Downdraft system does work, had put door down due to heating.

IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Next two days BRUTAL, be over 80 by 6:30a, leaving it sit until Monday. Back into sand rough spots on roof, fill the one crack on R Side of hood I missed, a couple tiny bubble pops in Surface filler on hood, will be getting more primer on Wednesday. Shop-Line 2K epoxy based.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Comming along nicely, DM. I put a mini split AC/heat pump in my shop last summer, best money i ever spent. should have did it 10 years ago. I would never survive in your area with the high humidity.

crane operator

Looks like your weather is going to break before ours. Still supposed to be 104 here tuesday.

Cooler and a little cloudy would be perfect painting weather, its just that pesky chance of rain.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Already started to change this morning, clouds building NNW, hazy but lower humidity. Was still 81 at 7 and started climbing as of a few minutes ago, breeze was/is no help.

If clouds up may go get into the sanding phase later today.

Old Doug

I have a hood,fender and grill you can paint when you get done or to practice on before you start. I bought a wrecked jeep i put the hood and fender on yesterday i had to pull on the inner fender and the part the radiator bolts to a little and every thing was looking good but i put the hood latch on and i need to pull some more . If i had any brains i would have done some measuring at the junkyard to see if i had it pulled enough . I also ended up with a inner grill support that dosent have fog lights mine did this may be a problem later on i havent got a grill yet.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If could only win for the losing:oops: Wife has Doc visit this morning, I have a Dentist visit this afternoon as well she wants to do some shopping while east of here. So a GREAT Cool day and I lose it for the most part. Tomorrow looks as good but Wednesday get to say goodbye to one of Wife's Cousins in Ste Genevieve MO, four hours ride time plus visitation and funeral then a scheduled visit with old family so one more lost for any projects.

Know we have to honor our deceased and attend our own appointments, just seems counter-intuitive the best days for working are lost to those.:(

Rain has been all around us, absolutely nothing here so far.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I didn't notice whether you're planning to do a full sealer coat or not but did see you used 320 paper for sanding. It's been my experience that grit will show sanding scratches especially on darker colors. A coat of primer/sealer followed by sanding with 800 would minimize the scratches. It all depends on the quality of finish you're expecting.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I didn't notice whether you're planning to do a full sealer coat or not but did see you used 320 paper for sanding. It's been my experience that grit will show sanding scratches especially on darker colors. A coat of primer/sealer followed by sanding with 800 would minimize the scratches. It all depends on the quality of finish you're expecting.
Years back I used primer/surfacer. It laid a heavy coat suitable for easy wet sand, eliminated scratches entirely. It could be sanded dry with a DA, or wet by hand. If you aren't careful to avoid sanding through, you might have to touch it up with an aerosol primer anywhere you get down to bare steel.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Final sand will be with 600, the primer was explained to me to get better adhesion and to clean up bad spots the 320 was go to as
The epoxy primer is buildup type. I won’t argue with the body boys.
I have loads of 600 paper for the da as I get the priming done, where was also told the Delfleet is a base paint that can if I wish to use it on will hide 320 scratches. The body guys noted did not recommend wet sand anymore except on high end restoration single stage paints, two stage paints not so critical these days.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Last of small fixes completed this morning, Crack on right Air Intake cut out spots at fender edge repairs, cab/sleeper roofs sanded and feathered out over a dozen odd rock dings, NOT going to get them all, not going to try. Primer will be here tomorrow, will pick that up, reload on Enamel reducer Thursday as Funeral tomorrow. Back at Th/Fr and weekend, supposed to remain Cooler but maybe Wet.

IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0352.JPG IMG_0353.JPG