• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures of your Backhoe!!!!!

Metalman 55

I've never seen a D before. We have a number of Es locally. I presume the flat glass, and twin boom cylinders make it a European built model. Cummins T390?

Willie

I believe both the models "D" & "Super D" were manufactured in Racine, Wisconsin, but am not certain. They had the Case engine in them; the "D" naturally aspirated & the "Super D" had a turbo.

ScottAR

580d's and E's are basically the same tractor. The D's had the 207 case. SuperD's got a turbo. The E's were the first with the Cummins. I understand Case used to offer a kit to convert a D tractor to an E tractor. Engine, hydraulic pump, and some small bits.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
200 miles from home, I was ready to write a check for a 4x4E with detachable hoe, three point hitch, and extend a hoe. The seller didn't trust my check, I was a stranger. I proposed we go across the street to his bank, and work it out. My bank could wire money to him. He insisted I had to go home to get cash. Ultimately, I decided I didn't want to do business with him at all. His was European. A friend has a G his is a close match to the E. I later bought two (one at a time) 580K. The K is USA built, and is utterly different from the similar E, and G. The European models are largely fabricated steel. The K has lots of cast or ductile parts, Where fabricated, pieces are hydro formed, then Sub Arc welded by machine. I presume a more expensive process.

The G I mentioned was bought new by another friend. He tells me he had a choice of G or K new from dealer. K was much more expensive, and had less ground clearance. In his pit, pumpkins roll off the bank all the time. 2" more clearance he saw as an advantage. 20 years old, he traded it in. He admitted he was curious the dealer didn't want to take physical possession of it. That evening the salesman picked it up, drove it 1/10 mile, and sold it to his next door neighbor. Turns out the neighbor had told the salesman; "if you ever get one of those in trade, I want it."

Willie

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Just got done installing a quick coupler of my 580c

View attachment 162331View attachment 162332

Do you have other buckets to change to? My K has the Case Coupler. I've removed it a few times for welding projects, but never to change buckets. Last winter I bought a 12" bucket. I don't see using it for ditches, as everything I dig is 46" deep. My 24" bucket removes material faster. A 46" deep ditch will be at least 3' wide at top.

I think in some soils it is possible to dig a trench 42" deep 36" wide at ground level, 12" wide at bottom. A ditch as deep is half again as much volume 24" wide bottom, and 48" width. I can move soil twice as fast with a 24" bucket. By my thinking, I can dig wider faster with 24" bucket.

Playing the Devils advocate, I'd need less sand in the narrower ditch, I could restore ground after backfill with less volume spoils easier. Perhaps it makes sense?

I would like a wider tooth less bucket for cleaning ditches, and backfilling. I typically dig ditch enough for ten foot lengths of conduit. Without moving the tractor, I can dig, place sand, place conduit, sand, and backfill. I feel there are advantages.

Willie

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
Do you have other buckets to change to? My K has the Case Coupler. I've removed it a few times for welding projects, but never to change buckets. Last winter I bought a 12" bucket. I don't see using it for ditches, as everything I dig is 46" deep. My 24" bucket removes material faster. A 46" deep ditch will be at least 3' wide at top.

I think in some soils it is possible to dig a trench 42" deep 36" wide at ground level, 12" wide at bottom. A ditch as deep is half again as much volume 24" wide bottom, and 48" width. I can move soil twice as fast with a 24" bucket. By my thinking, I can dig wider faster with 24" bucket.

Playing the Devils advocate, I'd need less sand in the narrower ditch, I could restore ground after backfill with less volume spoils easier. Perhaps it makes sense?

I would like a wider tooth less bucket for cleaning ditches, and backfilling. I typically dig ditch enough for ten foot lengths of conduit. Without moving the tractor, I can dig, place sand, place conduit, sand, and backfill. I feel there are advantages.

Willie

I have an 12 24 and a 36 with no teeth. Im looking to buy a 36 with teeth someday down the road

I also have a ripper tooth that can mount to any bucket I have

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I have a 12",14",24" and a 36" smooth edge that speeds things up digging large holes. 24" is the best all round bucket. 14" is when I worked for the gas company they wanted that size for ditching. 12" is best in certain soils that don't cave in or your digging for ever getting no where. Some home owners insist on 12" so I have no choice. I do a lot of work for a water utility comp. as well as water districts for repairs so a 36" smooth edge is best. Less chance of damaging pipe and good for bailing out water once you get it shut off.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
I have a 12",14",24" and a 36" smooth edge that speeds things up digging large holes. 24" is the best all round bucket. 14" is when I worked for the gas company they wanted that size for ditching. 12" is best in certain soils that don't cave in or your digging for ever getting no where. Some home owners insist on 12" so I have no choice. I do a lot of work for a water utility comp. as well as water districts for repairs so a 36" smooth edge is best. Less chance of damaging pipe and good for bailing out water once you get it shut off.

yeah i like my 36 smooth edge. someday down the road i want a 36 with teeth

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician

Willie

I had a chance to use the 12" bucket last week. It is a rugged built little snot. A customer waited until last minute to ask, could I dig a ditch? I set to work with 580K and two foot bucket. Scoop after scoop, I couldn't tell if I was making progress.

Ultimately, I switched to 12". I was able to scratch through to get below 18" deep frozen ground. I could dig out loose gravel until frozen was undermined. Then I could with a series of lifts weaken the shelf of ice, until it broke, gaining a foot or so each try.

I usually travel with a BIG hard head boulder. I can lift the boulder to about 15 feet above, and drop to break frost. This is low stress on the backhoe.

I ultimately gave up, and called on a friend with 15 ton excavator. 200 feet of 46" ditch took all day.

Willie

xgiovannix12

Occupation
I had a chance to use the 12" bucket last week. It is a rugged built little snot. A customer waited until last minute to ask, could I dig a ditch? I set to work with 580K and two foot bucket. Scoop after scoop, I couldn't tell if I was making progress.

Ultimately, I switched to 12". I was able to scratch through to get below 18" deep frozen ground. I could dig out loose gravel until frozen was undermined. Then I could with a series of lifts weaken the shelf of ice, until it broke, gaining a foot or so each try.

I usually travel with a BIG hard head boulder. I can lift the boulder to about 15 feet above, and drop to break frost. This is low stress on the backhoe.

I ultimately gave up, and called on a friend with 15 ton excavator. 200 feet of 46" ditch took all day.

Willie

I have a ripper tooth I can mount to any bucket I use. IT works good for stuff like this

xgiovannix12

Occupation
IMG_1127.jpgIMG_1128.jpg
waiting for snow and my other 2 buckets and Frost ripper with my thumb waiting to be put on

number7

#7 that pick of the 580B reminded of what my 1st hoe looked like it was a 1974 .

Billrog since you have owned a b you will probably remember how much of a pain they are to get in and out of that's why one of the first up grades I did was ad the steps and grab handle in the second picture

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
#7 your post put a smile on my face when I was looking at the pic. 1st time I was wondering why I couldn't remember steps and a handle. The only mod. I made for the one I had was a handle to unlock the boom I could reach easily from the cab.
trusses 001.jpg