• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

$ per hour

BrianHay

I have been getting some funny reactions when I tell people my rate, $***/hour. End of conversation with some people, I get one of these :eek: and they turn and walk away without saying a word. Sure you can get a Track Hoe in the same weight class for a far cheaper hourly rate but that's a whole different machine. I think my rate is very reasonable for what I offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

atgreene

I have been getting some funny reactions when I tell people my rate, $***/hour. End of conversation with some people, I get one of these :eek: and they turn and walk away without saying a word. Sure you can get a Track Hoe in the same weight class for a far cheaper hourly rate but that's a whole different machine. I think my rate is very reasonable for what I offer.

Anybody who is looking for a deal will nickle and dime you to death. State your price and stick to it. If they want a deal then they need to find someone else. I'm in this to make a living, not do someone a favor only so I can struggle to make fuel payments at the end of the month.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would agree that your rate seems fair. Your likely not competing against a standard track hoe for the type of work you do. If your going hourly on a standard type track hoe job you would not likely win that battle. I would just bid the job in that case they don't need to know what your hourly rate is.

BrianHay

For sure atgreene, I think the people I get that type of reaction from are half expecting me to chase after them. Not a chance, that's my rate and I'm not changing it. My machine not only cost more to hire, it also cost way more to buy/maintain then a standard excavator. If I compared the cost differences on my end to own and operate it instead of a standard excavator, my price should actually be a lot more then it is and will likely go up next year.

Almost all the work I have done so far I have been were my machine is designed to go. Some probably could have been done with a standard machine but would have taken a lot longer to do and or needed another machine there as well to tie off too. So really in the end I'm cheaper even if my rate was $200/hour. I have had a few say well I could hire a mini for half that rate (I advertise confined area access as well). That's true but for every scoop of dirt I take the mini will have to take at least three to keep up. So hire me for a day or a mini for three.

That's right RSSS, I have little interest in competing with the track hoe guys. I want the stuff that they don't want to do. And when the customer asks my rate I tell them $***/hour or I will quote the job for you, whichever you are more comfortable with.

So far I have been really lucky with the customers I have been doing work for. They have been most excellent to work for. They are more then happy with what they get for the dollar and word of what I am capable of doing is spreading fast.

diversified man

Occupation
CEO
The rates are all going up as the fuel prices rise. my fuel bill a month is outrageous.. people dont understand why it is so expensive but as long as you can justify how you got to the number you want you will be in good shape. people will never be happy ever if you said it was 5 dollars an hour they would want it for 4.50.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
If it's someone I know. I'll usually tell em to buy the fuel and hire me for 40 an hour. Most of the folks I work with are farmers and are pretty good about this. this is only done for friends. usually bidding the job is cheaper in the long run if you can accurately gauge the variables on that job. People will usually balk at 100 + an hour but saying it'll cost you 2000-4000 (whatever the price just threw that out) for the whole job in ways looks better. Gotta love those college Psychology classes, the more i know about people the easier it is to figure what works.

mverick

People will usually balk at 100 + an hour but saying it'll cost you 2000-4000 (whatever the price just threw that out) for the whole job in ways looks better. Gotta love those college Psychology classes, the more i know about people the easier it is to figure what works.

This is exactly what I do. If i bust my butt I make the money and leave early.

I always bid the job. I don't break them down for them.

kubota123

I just purchased a kubota kx91-3 7,200lbs mini ex. A friend of mine has a hooklift truck with 20 yard boxes that he will let me haul my mini in. I was wondering what I should charge to deliver my mini to the site in the hooklift box then tear out trees and stumps(let me remind you i've only spent about 2-3 hours on one before. I'm decent at it but I know i'm not pro) maybe

$75.00 an hr for my mini? with me operating
should i put a delivery charge on my mini?? 50-100 bucks?

brush container?? $275 to dump it plus tonnage????

cat320

Charter Member
I just purchased a kubota kx91-3 7,200lbs mini ex. A friend of mine has a hooklift truck with 20 yard boxes that he will let me haul my mini in. I was wondering what I should charge to deliver my mini to the site in the hooklift box then tear out trees and stumps(let me remind you i've only spent about 2-3 hours on one before. I'm decent at it but I know i'm not pro) maybe

$75.00 an hr for my mini? with me operating
should i put a delivery charge on my mini?? 50-100 bucks?

brush container?? $275 to dump it plus tonnage????

I don't know where your from but as far as a rate I would see what they are renting out that machine size at the rental house then add your per hour price to run it. As far as delivery charge I usueually start as soon as I leave my yard if I do the per hour pricing and stop it when I get back to my yard. but if you know how long it will take you to do a particular job just charge them a lump sum plus removal or what ever and just figure a fuel charge for the trucking or equipment delivery. Every job is differant but I hope that helps you the kubota 91 seams like a nice size machine.

joispoi

I charge $126 per hour with 10 hr minimum for a 1,600 kg machine. Don't get excited, $26 of that it tax that goes straight to the gov't at the end of the month.

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
I charge
$150 tandem truck and tandem pup
$100 tandem
$100 10,000lb mini hoe
$85 S185 skid steer
$85 hr pick up and trailer
Some will be cheaper, the closer to the city the cheaper up to 15%!

nzpatch

here in nz i get $85 per hr for cat305ccr, cat216 and $90 per hr d3cxl,$95 hr 311cu nz dollers plus transport 2 site,$50 to $80 ish.

HeyUvaVT

we are trying to figure out how much to charge for our new Tak TB175 per hour...any thoughts?

therealjohnboy

I little old Adelaide South Australia the rates depend on the type of work ie. private or long term commercial
on average commercial is about 20% less as the work is continuous.

I run the following gear:

Single axle tipper $66 per/hr
C175 CTL $100 per/hr
C175 with rotary slasher $125 per/hr
TB145 mini $100per/hr
TB145 with Auger or Breaker $125 per/hr
931C Traxcavator $125 per/hr
350C dozer $100 per/hr
350C with 5' rotary slasher $125 per/hr
Yanmah C30r dumper $300 per/day
Benford 5 ton swivel rough terrain dumpers $450 per/day
12" Woodchipper $165 per/hr
Labourer rates are $35 per/hr
Chainsawing etc $55 per/hr

I run a 4 hr minimum depot to depot travel time is at tipper rate.

Bear in mind machines here cost alot more than there new C175 $85000 new TB145 $90000 even my used 1990 931c cost $30k plus.
Also here fuel is alot more expensive about $7.20 US a gallon i just got back from working in the UK the machines are cheap there but fuel is about $15 US a gallon and the rates are really low eg. $45 US for a 25ton Excavator including fuel and operator they make about $10 an hr on top of fuel and wages.
Crazy huh.

SKOAL

about where iam at

I charge $100 per hour for my Takeuchi 135 with all four buckets/attachments or $750 per day.

I also charge $75 to move the equipment.

The truck (8 yard) gets $60 per hour regardless of on-site or on-road.

Compactor is $40 (plate compactor).

I started out at $75 per hour and quickly realized that with the clean-up bucket and other attachments and the fact that I've been running excavators since I was 17 (18 years) that I could do an amazing ammount of work in a short time. Nobody says anything about $100 per hour and if their a good customer (I have a list of about 150 that I work for) I give them an extra hour or cut them some slack by not chrging for moving.

It's all what the market will bear.
yea that seems like the right prices but i would be cheaper with say a 1 ton and a mini

SKOAL

productivity

if competeing by the hour show or give refernces of how your machine is worth the extra money and there getting a better and faster finished product otherwise why not use the cheaper guy by the hour , for instance if a guy with a skidsteer and mini is say 25 dollars a hour cheaper you have to make a case for your machine witch is cool btw:cool:

HemCon.

Hitachi 135 rates

I just joined this site and think its awesome!

Im transitioning from using my mini excavator ($80/hr) into renting larger equipment. Specifically a Hitachi 135. Wondering what a good hourly rate should be with operator in NW Washington State.

Our economy is still fairly good (thanks to the canadian dollar). I keep getting calls, mostly from smaller home builders and homeowners, septics too. Is $135 an hour too much? how about $40 an hour for a skilled laborer?

Thanks

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Good to hear you're staying busy up there. It seems the smaller, owner/operator guys are staying fairly busy this year despite the downturn in the economy. I wish I could say the same for the union route, but the only work going on is public works projects and a few commercial entities. Other than that, the big boys are struggling to keep the fire going this year with the downturn in housing. Private infrastructure is also slow as well, just a few blips here and there for utility work.

A 135 size excavator should be right around $115-120/hr up there I believe. You might ask around and see what other guys are getting for machines in the same size class. I got a buddy in the Stanwood area getting around $110/hr. for a 120.

B1G DIG

ours is pretty simple 10 mtrs of concrete in the truck takes 30 mins 2 about 2 hours and costs around $300-$400 aus