• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

$ per hour

coopers

HemCon,

Cascadescraper has good numbers. I'd say that is what 120/135's are going for. But like he said, check around and see what you find....you have any pics of the 135? Looks like it's new or is that a rental?

HemCon.

Thanks Coopers and CascadeScraper,

I'll keep checking around to see what guys are charging in my neck of the woods. Coopers, the machine is a rental. Usually rent from Hertz, those guys give me great prices.

Any insight on weather $40/hr is too much to charge for a skilled laborer?

shave a frog

just been offered a machine and was thinking of a bit of career change how much do guys in the uk charge p/h a day etc for an operator and 4 ton machine??

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
just been offered a machine and was thinking of a bit of career change how much do guys in the uk charge p/h a day etc for an operator and 4 ton machine??

I would like to know how the UK compares as well, it would seem that our rates are a lot lower then overseas.

pjdiesel

Occupation
excavation
kubota 161-3 w/thumb I get $65 per/hr time starts when I leave and stops when jobs done.

pipeliner66

Occupation
Pipeline Welder
What should a guy be charging per hour for a small KH-007 Kubota(2000#) machine ? I have run equipment on pipelines for years, that should be figured in also, shouldn't it ? I have a neighbor that bought a larger excavator, doesn't operate very well at all, he seems to be working, watched him the other night operate, could do the work he was doing just about as fast. When I bought this mini, it was just for use on the farm, some of the neighbors have been up watching me operate & ask if I'd do some work for them, with the economy the way it is why not, the pipelining is a little slow anyway.
Thanks for any advise, this site is very interesting & good tool for learning I can see.:drinkup

Yukon Digger

My KX121-3 is mostly for my own use at home and for my mining claims but.. closer next-door neighbors and a few old timers less than one km from home I charge $50/hr. Just walk it down the ditch and they throw in a few cold ones at the end of the day. $60-$70/hr for nearer neighbours plus say $50-$100 for truck/trailer/fuel to get there and back. $100/hr for most home owners I don't know and $110/hr for government/utility. A two week reclaimation job for a mine I would go $800-1000/day plus mob/demob. Lots of horse trading too and I'm a sucker for a pretty smile. My theory is that its easy to make a mini pay for itself compared to spending the same money on a big boat or RV or a shinny gas guzzler 4x4 pickup that never leaves town. Those things just cost $$$.

BrianHay

This thread annoys me every time it comes up. It is part of the reason why I don't often post here anymore. Shortly after I posted my rate in it I thought better of it and asked if my post could be edited, not deleted, just edited. It is hurting my business, but that was to much to ask. When the average homeowner searches for me researching before calling for a landscaping project and finds this there is no way they are going to call, and I don't blame them.

Anyways, maybe this will help some. When I am hanging my machine off the side of some dangerous mountain side were normally only mountain goats go, yes that is my rate and worth every penny. If it is a large project that will keep me busy for a while, I am willing to negotiate.

If it is flat land work that a regular machine could do then I will give a rate that is in line with regular machines.

I actually prefer to just give a flat rate to do a job but some people insist on hourly so I am flexible.

thebig450es

i think Brian is one of those exceptions to the rule, from what i saw he can charge almost what ever he wanted because of where is can go and willing to go. i think its getting harder to charge what we deserve in some areas with the ecomony.

Allgood

I had some builders that used to call me for some jobs but, with the economy the way it is, the "big guys" are doing jobs for them for almost nothing. They now claim that they'd rather just break even or even possibly lose a little as opposed to just having their equipment sit in their shop. Since my equipment is for personal use and I just try to make a few bucks here and there by doing jobs, I'd rather let my equipment sit rather than work it for nothing. There's too much of a chance of breaking something and the wear and tear on the equipment besides racking up hours.

A for example is several builders are getting 90 hp track loaders working on their job sites for $50 an hour and about the same for a 5 or 6 ton compact excavator. My Tak TB145 is a really nice machine and, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't even want to do a job with it for only $50 an hour. And I'm talking $50 an hour for on the job working only; no money for travel time. At those rates I'll just let my equipment sit and just use it for my own personal uses.

Am I the only person who'd rather pass on a job rather than do it that cheap? I guess the bottom line for me is about $75 an hour plus a little something for travel and clean up (on my machine) for my Takeuchi TB145, which I guess is classified as a 5 ton machine.

GettinDirty

$75 seems kinda cheap unless you can get a lot of hours. You do not need the income then it is gravy. I see some guys working cheaper. Labor here is $45 per hr. You need at least $15 -20 just to keep the machine paid for (insurance, fuel, repair, maint) plus seperate charge for hauling. $70 you are just covering cost. + $5 per hr x 1000 hours you made $5,000 for the year. You then would need a bunch of equipment to keep the home fire lit. I think $105 - $115 is reasonable. Like a lot I know 4-5 pieces of equipment is probably average. Also skid steers don't last as long as other equipment.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
$50.00 is crazy. The depreciation on a tracked machine can run that high. I have a 6 ton Takeuchi (TB153FR) and I get $80.00 There is no way I can get 115 an hour here. It would be nice but not realistic. I would stay home as opposed to 50 an hour unless it was really easy work. Maybe you would be better off and see if you can just bid the work that has to be done. Maybe you make that work.

GettinDirty

$50.00 is crazy. The depreciation on a tracked machine can run that high. I have a 6 ton Takeuchi (TB153FR) and I get $80.00 There is no way I can get 115 an hour here. It would be nice but not realistic. I would stay home as opposed to 50 an hour unless it was really easy work. Maybe you would be better off and see if you can just bid the work that has to be done. Maybe you make that work.

KSSS: $80 is OK if you don't hire union labor. $105 - $115 T&M. If you run fast they will pay. If I were bidding a project I might figure that much if it was wide open work. I laughed a bit at your "Proud Case Supporter" that ownes a Tak.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
KSSS: $80 is OK if you don't hire union labor. $105 - $115 T&M. If you run fast they will pay. If I were bidding a project I might figure that much if it was wide open work. I laughed a bit at your "Proud Case Supporter" that ownes a Tak.

Yea I don't have union pay issues.

The TK is my one nonCASE machine, its good little excavator. Maybe I should alter that quote a bit eh?

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
There certainly seems to be some big variations in the rates that you guys can charge - are there regional differences or does it depend on whether the work is domestic or commercial?

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
There certainly seems to be some big variations in the rates that you guys can charge - are there regional differences or does it depend on whether the work is domestic or commercial?

There's most definitely regional differences here.I'm in one of the more pricier areas in NY,if you just cross the Hudson River,guys over there get $20-$30 an hour less on utility equipment.I can only speak for myself on the other issue--everyone pays me the same as it should'nt matter

volvobl

im not trying to say that youve all got it good for charging $100 dollars an hour or about that so please help me here.
Im here in the uk right in the center of mid wales we get average around here
in pounds £23 for a backhoe ive got a volvo ec55b wich is charged out at £20 pounds per hour im an owner driver or small contractor i hire guys in to help me at times youd be paying around £8 -£10 pounds an hour for i know things cost money and that machines are valued a bit dearer in the states are you guys actually doing very well out there or is there a catch what is your killer out there im earning around £1000 pounds a 5 day week on average flat week you guys in the states are avergeing that in a day im not saying that your carpet is allready laid out for you but im here thinking why is this and is the grass greener the other side of the ocean. Fuel is the worst out here for us i know its about the same with you i also have a bit of finance to repay is that the killer for you guys there too any thoughts to point me in the right direction will be appreciated thanks.