• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

$ per hour

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Well here in Canada depending where you live a backhoe is about $75.00 per hour. Now if I am right a pound is roughly about 1.6 American/Canadian to the pound? If this is true you rent your machine for about $32.00 per hour and pay up to $16.00 per hour for help. So if you paid a person to run your machine you would be making $16.00 per hour:confused:. I don't know how you could supply a machine keep it full of fuel, pay bank, make a profit and maintain your machine. Maybe my conversion is off but only double what you have to pay a man doesn't seem right. Maybe you could provide what an average person makes a year, cost of diesel and what an average house would cost to buy. It would be interesting to compare apples to apples.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Where that Fella Lives in B.C. is probably a pricey neighborhood. Everything is expensive out there last I heard. He might be the only deal for miles that does what he does too which drives the price up as well.

Anto Modded

Occupation
Excavator Driver
Over here its 200 Euro a day for a 2 ton mini digger with driver and delivered (288.383 USD,300.324 CAD,180.175 GBP)

Backhoe with driver is 20 - 25 euro per hour (28.8394 USD,30.0149 CAD,18.0174 GBP)

13 ton track machine with driver 25 euro per hour (36.0433 USD,37.5019 CAD,22.5206 GBP)

I dont know how some guys do this and enploy drivers, we are owner operators and its hard enough

volvobl

Over here its 200 Euro a day for a 2 ton mini digger with driver and delivered (288.383 USD,300.324 CAD,180.175 GBP)

Backhoe with driver is 20 - 25 euro per hour (28.8394 USD,30.0149 CAD,18.0174 GBP)

13 ton track machine with driver 25 euro per hour (36.0433 USD,37.5019 CAD,22.5206 GBP)

I dont know how some guys do this and enploy drivers, we are owner operators and its hard enough

your absolutely rite im owner operator to if i have a driver to help me im only making between £10-£15 pound an hour more i could not employ full time cos some days 1 machine may only be needed and id rather be on it my self doing the work it just wouldnt pay out there the only time i hired guys to help me full time is on my tipper grab lorry but that was on the road evry day so i stayed on the digging while a driver was on the tipper grab i was making money then but by my self at 20 and 23 pound an hour at the end of the month it is a big struggle here in uk and ireland by the sounds of things but we do see some contractors with all brand new equipment 10 guys working for them i ask myself haw do they do this if we could charge the same rate as you guys id like to see haw things would work out here and there is no disrespect for you guys who can get around the $100 dollar an hour. Haw is the work over there are you out digging 5 day a week and say 50 weeks of the year. Here in Wales not so many big jobs on the go but im very busy making tracks draining and ditching for farmers id say 50 weeks of the year we are out i try get my machines home for christmas if they not been home in a while i bought my 07 volvobl71 in may and last week was its first time home and after new year its going sraight back out to work im onl on residential and farmers work for the time being.

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
So it wasn't just me looking at the US rates in amazement!!

Volvobl - do you charge VAT on top of the £20.00 per hour

Glad you are busy - Very quiet here in the south west of England but I run smaller machines so I am more susceptable to the domestic market fallout!!

strott

Occupation
Mini Excavator and dumper operator
Well here in Canada depending where you live a backhoe is about $75.00 per hour. Now if I am right a pound is roughly about 1.6 American/Canadian to the pound? If this is true you rent your machine for about $32.00 per hour and pay up to $16.00 per hour for help. So if you paid a person to run your machine you would be making $16.00 per hour:confused:. I don't know how you could supply a machine keep it full of fuel, pay bank, make a profit and maintain your machine. Maybe my conversion is off but only double what you have to pay a man doesn't seem right. Maybe you could provide what an average person makes a year, cost of diesel and what an average house would cost to buy. It would be interesting to compare apples to apples.

Average cost of red diesel £0.85p per litre

Average house price £175,000 upwards

What an average person makes per year???? - depends on whether you look at the private or public sector or the construction industry or service industry e.tc.e.t.c!!

volvobl

In western PA i start out at $500 a day for my PC50

so you take home 2500 a week thats very good with that size machine i get 850 a week here in uk with same size machine what im getting at out of that 850 i have to live as well as you do with 2500 a week but if i was on that rate i could make me sum money haw much is your fuel per gallon for the machine and insurance compare to us here in uk

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Average cost of red diesel £0.85p per litre

Average house price £175,000 upwards

What an average person makes per year???? - depends on whether you look at the private or public sector or the construction industry or service industry e.tc.e.t.c!!

Diesel here would be about 20% less at this time.
House prices about the same
Wages, Canadian government says about $45.000 CDN average.
My 3.3 ton Kubota Excavator around $75.00 but no float fee
Tractor, skidsteer and 1 ton with dump body around the same or less, depending on the job though

A new Kubota KX91-3 is about $45-50,000 CDN. How much over there?

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
so you take home 2500 a week thats very good with that size machine i get 850 a week here in uk with same size machine what im getting at out of that 850 i have to live as well as you do with 2500 a week but if i was on that rate i could make me sum money haw much is your fuel per gallon for the machine and insurance compare to us here in uk

The question is do you work all week every week and make 850. Around here (not speaking for the big 45es) you won't work all week at my rate but you also won't wear out your machine working for nothing and have no money to replace it when the time comes. I would sooner look out the window and make no money than work in a customer yard and make no money.

volvobl

id bought a brand new 5.5 ton machine here for £32,000 and with a little extras im working all week probably because i left a lot of work pile up and tell customers il be there soon they probably wont see me till sumtime in 6 months for the right people do a bit of running for them theyll use you a lot of the time this 850 a week that is the going rates here in uk. is work slow where you are hence the reason your out a few days a week.

special tool

id bought a brand new 5.5 ton machine here for £32,000 and with a little extras im working all week probably because i left a lot of work pile up and tell customers il be there soon they probably wont see me till sumtime in 6 months for the right people do a bit of running for them theyll use you a lot of the time this 850 a week that is the going rates here in uk. is work slow where you are hence the reason your out a few days a week.

850 pounds a week????
Is this a joke?
That is $1,341.3 US dollars a week at today's exchange.

How long have you been in business?
You are working for $33 an hour!!!
That is RIDICULOUS!
I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT MARKETS....THAT'S INSANE.
That's fuel, machine and operator?
You will NOT be in business long doing that.
You MUST pickup construction pricing guide published by MEADE Publishing and see your course to bankrupcy.

nobull1

Charter Member
Occupation
Same as interests
Machine prices are probably a little cheaper there as that much will only get you a 3.3 ton in Canada.

This time of the year the ground is frozen and little work is done with machines my size. The economy is going along a little below the peak a couple years ago but not too bad in our area. There are a couple of reasons not working every day. The competition is heavy for this size machine and people will work for nothing just to make their payments before they go broke. I don't work for contractors so it is ridiculously busy or nothing. I am a little picky about the types of jobs I do to help save my equipment. Working for little money and beating up the equipment just doesn't make sense to me.

special tool

Machine prices are probably a little cheaper there as that much will only get you a 3.3 ton in Canada.

This time of the year the ground is frozen and little work is done with machines my size. The economy is going along a little below the peak a couple years ago but not too bad in our area. There are a couple of reasons not working every day. The competition is heavy for this size machine and people will work for nothing just to make their payments before they go broke. I don't work for contractors so it is ridiculously busy or nothing. I am a little picky about the types of jobs I do to help save my equipment. Working for little money and beating up the equipment just doesn't make sense to me.

Keep in mind - 32,000 pounds is equal to 53,331 CANADIAN.
And he is working for what I charge for a laborer with a shovel.

volvobl

ive been in buisness for about 8 years i no what you are saying belive you me im not the only 1 here though this is what it is around here like a volvo ec140b is about the £25 pound an hour theres guys been in buisiness a lot longer than me and they are still going but are complaining about haw it is. I do agree with you 100% trust me people around here moan at paying £23 pound an hour for my o7 bl71 volvo backhoe but its evrywhere in the uk you might get a coulple of extra pounds here or there the only way i had it good is that my tipper grab lorry has had regular work at £35 pound an hour i had a driver on this. If we could get the rate that around the 45-50 an hour would be great but i dont see any one else in europe and uk joining me lol

special tool

ive been in buisness for about 8 years i no what you are saying belive you me im not the only 1 here though this is what it is around here like a volvo ec140b is about the £25 pound an hour theres guys been in buisiness a lot longer than me and they are still going but are complaining about haw it is. I do agree with you 100% trust me people around here moan at paying £23 pound an hour for my o7 bl71 volvo backhoe but its evrywhere in the uk you might get a coulple of extra pounds here or there the only way i had it good is that my tipper grab lorry has had regular work at £35 pound an hour i had a driver on this. If we could get the rate that around the 45-50 an hour would be great but i dont see any one else in europe and uk joining me lol

I am sure the conversations you are having are with other relatively new business owners who have yet to replace older equipment.
You have to consider depreciation and MANY,MANY other factors.
You are LOSING money, not making money.
Even if you live in a cardboard box (this shouldn't be taken into consideration), you are still losing money.

All you guys in the US, he is running a $50,000, 12,000 pound machine for $33/hour.
This is a very in-demand size machine, especially in urban areas.
It is also the largest size reffered to as "mini" - not a small machine at all.
You can load a tri-axle with this machine, with 2-3 moves.

I suspect you are a nice guy who maybe gets a little bambuzzled by his customers.
Screw-em, dude - they AIN'T gonna want to know you when the machine breaks.

volvobl

I am sure the conversations you are having are with other relatively new business owners who have yet to replace older equipment.
You have to consider depreciation and MANY,MANY other factors.
You are LOSING money, not making money.
Even if you live in a cardboard box (this shouldn't be taken into consideration), you are still losing money.

All you guys in the US, he is running a $50,000, 12,000 pound machine for $33/hour.
This is a very in-demand size machine, especially in urban areas.
It is also the largest size reffered to as "mini" - not a small machine at all.
You can load a tri-axle with this machine, with 2-3 moves.

I suspect you are a nice guy who maybe gets a little bambuzzled by his customers.
Screw-em, dude - they AIN'T gonna want to know you when the machine breaks.

yes i agree with you but its not registering inside you. Within 10 mile radious your taliking about at least 15-20 contractors with their own machines farmers going out with their own machines doing and making a mess. Things are a lot different here a farmer operator will jump on a machine within 5 mins he thinks hes been on em for twenty years next minuite a ah ha money to go out drinking then they go out with the machine on week ends no insurance and tickets bobs your uncle thats haw it is here.
Your saying like im the only guy going around charging 20 pounds an hour for 5.5 ton machine its not me its all over europe i wouldnt be on much different money if id moved to france and this euro thing hasnt helped much at all id lose count if i counted the cotractors within an hours drive from here but there is one thing for sure if i could have around 80 pound an hour and have it i wouldnt be here talking about it.

Anto Modded

Occupation
Excavator Driver
I know of a guy with a Hitachi Ex200 working for 25 euro per hour. Machine rates are terrible and not getting better, as said you could have 20 people trying to get one job. Owner driver has a small advantage but its still hard. I dont think everyone runs new machines, we buy secondhand keep them serviced etc our selves to save money. We dont work a machine hard and would like to think we can keep a machine for longer due to this, it helps keep cost down. People arent too fussy on year, its price that wins over here. An older machine well maintained is equally as good. Just lower cost to get back. The times of big money is long gone in Ireland.

There are hire shops doing a 1.7 ton mini digger for 50 euro a day ? Its crazy, and very hard to compete against. We are 200 euro a day for a mini digger + driver + delevery and diesel and its still hard to get work

Last edited: